Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ancient volcanoes of Ireland...

• 06-01-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good site or source for information on ancient volcanoes in Ireland? There is very little info on specific sites - i'm particularily interested in Arklow head and Tara hill in Wexford. According to one website "Tara Hill is a volcanic feature that never erupted" whatever that means!

Same with Kildare - apparently the hill of allen is an ancient volcano but it s difficult to find info on its age, how big it would have originally been, what type of volcano it was etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here's a screenshot of some of the geology of the area. Not far enough south for Tara hill though because the major volcanic stuff is around Avoca. It's from the GSI site - it's well worth having a poke around there.

The Vale of Avoca and the associated mineralogy is the product of a submarine volcano from 100 million years ago if memory serves. The yellow pyrites around the mines are deposits left from geo-thermal vents on the ancient seabed (forgive my terminology please geographers/geologists :o).
    I think that Arklow head and Tara hill are more resilient remnants of the same deposits and the softer stuff has been eroded away in between by glacial action and rivers.
    Don't think I'd lose much sleep over Tara hill erupting.

31D8163B396942C0BA0A84DAB3E5238E-0000345227-0002695215-01200L-6EF6011DA1AF4221BEC9B8F5F8BDC185.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

There are probably academic papers on all of the volcanic centres in Ireland, but you'd have to go looking for them and they're probably full of more detail than you're interested in.

Your best bet is probably to look by area, all of the GSI's bedrock mapping sheets have had a booklet accompanying them, they can be ordered from the website or you can actually drop into their public office to read them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Thanks for the information everyone. The yellow bits around Arklow head seem to indicate Ordovician age. Had to look that up - 400 million years ago or thereabouts. Much older than I thought.

These two links gave some info on Ireland in Ordovician times - not specific to my two areas but interesting none the less:

http://www.geoschol.com/counties/MEATH_GEOLOGY.pdf

http://sepmstrata.org/HookHeadEire/PlatesTecIreland/pages/BlakeyLateOrd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I remember well as a child I always wanted the Sugarloaf mountain in Wicklow to be a real volcano,
    it even looked like the real thing to me (how exciting)! rivers of lava running down the sides and all :))

sugarloaf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Slive Gullion just southwest of Newry is an ancient volcano. There was a very good article in Earth Science 2000 a year or two ago giving a fairly layman's description of the igneous dykes that have been exposed by the building of the M1 round Newry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Croghan in County Offaly is an extinct volcano; visible from the M6 (south of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Pallasgreen volcanics in Limerick. Road to Tipp town

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And of course you can't discuss ancient volcanic structures and regions in Ireland without mentioning the Antrim mountains and the Giant's Causeway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Cryogen

Derk hill, Limerick is an ancient volcano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And of course you can't discuss ancient volcanic structures and regions in Ireland without mentioning the Antrim mountains and the Giant's Causeway.

There's big Bassalt columns visible on the inside of Arklow Rock quarry, similar to the Organ Pipes at the GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 coolabuaile

Basalt columns in Kerry to, south of lough guitane, killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I was told at National School that Errigal was a ancient volcano..is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Afraid not, Errigal is a quartzite peak which gives it a conical shape that mimics the traditional image of a volcano. The same is true for the sugar loaf in wicklow - also quartzite and often mistaken for a volcano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Croghan Hill, Co Offaly was of sufficient interest for a Canadian prospecting company to be doing surveys for diamonds.
    I was up there just under 20 years ago and met a geologist from same.

Its a volcanic plug from the Carboniferous Period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Slive Gullion just southwest of Newry is an ancient volcano

http://www.south-armagh.com/index.cfm/area/information/page/Landscapes

Advertisement