Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free update to Sky Q...any pitfalls?

• 25-11-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Recently received an email from Sky offering me a free upgrade to Sky Q 1TB UHD box. A saving of €155 is quoted!

Apart from the fact that I would be entering into a new 12-month contract is there anything else I should be aware or wary of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will own the Sky Q box and you will need to return it should you cancel. They will need to upgrade the LNB on your dish so it supports wideband transmissions which Sky Q uses, some installers did/do only change the LNB so it supports wideband only, ideally you should request they change it to a hybrid LNB, this will have 2 wideband and 4 normal connections so if you ever want to return to freesat channels alone you can use the 4 normal connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

peking97 wrote: »
    Recently received an email from Sky offering me a free upgrade to Sky Q 1TB UHD box. A saving of €155 is quoted!

Apart from the fact that I would be entering into a new 12-month contract is there anything else I should be aware or wary of?

If you live in a big house and want a multi room setup be aware that there can be connection issues. We went back to sky HD because of it

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Blowheads wrote: »
    If you live in a big house and want a multi room setup be aware that there can be connection issues. We went back to sky HD because of it

To get around that just use the free SkyQ booster solves most problems.
    SkyQ 4K and HDR is enough reason to move its light years ahead of Sky HD.
    Do agree to get a hybrid lnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

TCP/IP wrote: »
    To get around that just use the free SkyQ booster solves most problems.
    SkyQ 4K and HDR is enough reason to move its light years ahead of Sky HD.
    Do agree to get a hybrid lnb

We had the booster, might as well have got a clothes hanger and put it on the top of my head..
    Constantly dropping, reboot, reset and always when in the middle of something. Painful so got rid. Engineer was out 3 times and he said couldn't guarantee it. One time he wasn't even at the van for had to call him back in again.

Not saying it won't work but if you need a booster then you could be in for pain

Yeah I used to use the booster but not needed now once I changed WiFi channels on my router so did not interfere with it. Like everything you might be unlucky but the vast majority will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

<snip> Ideally you should request they change it to a hybrid LNB, this will have 2 wideband and 4 normal connections so if you ever want to return to freesat channels alone you can use the 4 normal connections.

Thanks. Yeah I currently use six downleads from an Octo LNB as I'm using a mix of Freesat and FTA on other TV's so the Hybrid LNB would therefore be essential for my installation.
    Is that something I would agree with the Sky Customer Care people in advance or just with the Sky Engineer when he turns up?

Thanks. Yeah I currently use six downleads from an Octo LNB as I'm using a mix of Freesat and FTA on other TV's so the Hybrid LNB would therefore be essential for my installation.
    Is that something I would agree with the Sky Customer Care people in advance or just with the Sky Engineer when he turns up?

No ring them and request it as part of the install. Engineers may not have it in their van on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I availed of an offer like that a couple of years back. Great service and great customer care.

We went the full hog and got two mini boxes as well. Multi room is €16 per month regardless of how many boxed you have on the go. We were having issues with the Internet in the other rooms and they had an engineer install two booster boxes at no cost to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

There is also a 2tb box.... u might be better insisting on same.

Are they offerung a Mini box as well. What price are they offering for both per month

Masala wrote: »
    There is also a 2tb box.... u might be better insisting on same.

Are they offerung a Mini box as well. What price are they offering for both per month
    No mention of 2TB or Mini boxes. It's clearly stated that the offer is 1TB UHD box only.
    I'd imagine those other boxes could be added for a price but haven't spoken to anyone yet.

• Advertisement

Also just wondering if I will be able to watch recorded stuff off the old HD+ box even after getting the new Q box installed even if that means temporarily inserting the viewing card and an internet connection into the old box or is everything on the old box lost immediately following the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Do they replace the old sky dish? due to get upgrade to sky q and old dish is a bit weathered wonder would they put new one up?

Do they replace the old sky dish? due to get upgrade to sky q and old dish is a bit weathered wonder would they put new one up?

They will if they feel it’s necessary

Advertisement