Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres an extremely amusing overlap of people who dont believe in climate change and people who are anti-vax.

Education is bad.

There is also a large population who act like sheep and swallow project fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    How can anyone who lives on this island deny it when we were hit with eastern most Atlantic hurricane

That is most certainly not normal

QQmgVwI.jpg

A hurricane? We’re doomed. Even professor John Sweeney in Maynooth had to admit climate change didn’t cause the hurricane but it contributed to it, which is a bit like saying a chip pan caused a house fire and the box of matched in the house contributed to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, who do you listen to in order to understand what is going on?

What paper do you read? What news site do you visit? What news or current affairs tv show do you watch? What current affairs show do you listen to on the radio?

Pity people still refer to it as road tax then even though road tax hasn’t been in existence for decades upon decades.

Motor tax.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Eventually maybe but many of the major cities on Earth would be devastated if the ice caps melted. Gone would be NYC, Los Angeles, London, DC, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, whole of Florida, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium.

Ireland itself would be a vastly different country as most of the urban areas like Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Belfast, Derry, Galway cities would be completely uninhabitable

TN8kZRz.png

And nobody can predict what would happen the climate if that much cold fresh water is dumped into the salt water oceans of the world.

After Al Gore went around crying to people about the ice melting and coasts getting flooded he went and bought a seaside mansion. Big Al knows it all bullsh1t.

What paper do you read? What news site do you visit? What news or current affairs tv show do you watch? What current affairs show do you listen to on the radio?

I like a mix of all news to make up my own mind.
    Rte, BBC, fox news, RT
    Big fan is David icke and Gemma o Dwyer always have very interesting points of view on current events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A bigger problem with lack of education in the population

All sources you mention are the ones that are exaggerating it.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A bigger problem with lack of education in the population

Last time I checked we all get the same level of education up until doing the leaving cert.
    Don't dismiss people as uneducated because they don't believe everything fed to them my main stream media.
    Galileo was mocked as well by his "enlightened" peers

• Advertisement

Last time I checked we all get the same level of education up until doing the leaving cert.
    Don't dismiss people as uneducated because they don't believe everything fed to them my main stream media.
    Galileo was mocked as well by his "enlightened" peers

Everyone gets the same chance of education, not everyone takes the chance. A large percentage of the population seem to get education by John down the pub.

This saying comes to mind “ looking into a field full of thistles

The more enlightened research and educate themselves, don't rely on a 20 something year old teacher fresh out of college for education

Galileo would be part of the research and educate themselves. The people that mocked him got educated by John.....

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    All sources you mention are the ones that are exaggerating it.

:confused::confused::confused:

What evidence have you that this is the case?

:confused::confused::confused:

What evidence have you that this is the case?

John told him :p

I like a mix of all news to make up my own mind.
    Rte, BBC, fox news, RT
    Big fan is David icke and Gemma o Dwyer always have very interesting points of view on current events.

Did you mean to say Gemma O'Doherty?

If so, that doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest.

Also, Fox News? And you are talking about sheep???

Did you mean to say Gemma O'Doherty?

If so, that doesn't surprise me. Not in the slightest.

Also, Fox News? And you are talking about sheep???

So fox news isn't a credible news source? I've heard it all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The channel that brings guest on and shouts them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exactly.

That's what I keep harking back to. The government has the power to put these simple rules in place, but why aren't they doing it if we are supposedly on the edge of a crisis?

All new social housing getting built in Derry has solar panels. And excellent ber ratings.

And surely all new houses should have no chimneys? There is no future in burning turf, coal etc in homes surely.

Solar makes sense where there is a feed in tariff so you get paid for the elec you don't use thst goes back on the grid. If you're out for most of the day, solar elec has limited value. Solar hot water more so.

Also, big solar elec installations skew a BER rating and make the house look more energy efficient than it is because it credits the solar installation with most of the elec generated being used.

There are grants for energy efficiency but energy isn't a subject people get. A lot of people don't really know if they're using more than they should or not. So spending on energy efficiency doesn't always look like good value to a lot of people.

And then energy efficiency is always framed as how much will it cost me and how much will it save me yet will spend a lot more on a new kitchen etc when it doesn't have a payback but is more aesthetic.

As for chimneys, people want a fire of some description. Even if it isn't needed. It may change over time but even now with new builds people want to see fire.

YFlyer wrote: »
    The channel that brings guest on and shouts them down.

I don't think so, see a lot of that on rte if the quests aren't left wing liberals.
    Fox is balanced enough compared to Rte.
    I particularly like tucker carslon

No. It isn't.

And, what about Gemma O'Doherty? Did you mean to mention her to say that you find her opinion informative and truthful?

No. It isn't.

And, what about Gemma O'Doherty? Did you mean to mention her to say that you find her opinion informative and truthful?

So who is the credible new source for the "enlightened"?

Can you answer the question please.

Do you find Gemma O'Doherty truthful and informative?

• Advertisement

No. It isn't.

It's those f**king unicorns again isn't it? :eek: they are to blame for global warming

Peer-reviewed scientists. Not a "new" discipline, unless you were born yesterday.

Solar makes sense where there is a feed in tariff so you get paid for the elec you don't use thst goes back on the grid. If you're out for most of the day, solar elec has limited value. Solar hot water more so.

Also, big solar elec installations skew a BER rating and make the house look more energy efficient than it is because it credits the solar installation with most of the elec generated being used.

There are grants for energy efficiency but energy isn't a subject people get. A lot of people don't really know if they're using more than they should or not. So spending on energy efficiency doesn't always look like good value to a lot of people.

And then energy efficiency is always framed as how much will it cost me and how much will it save me yet will spend a lot more on a new kitchen etc when it doesn't have a payback but is more aesthetic.

As for chimneys, people want a fire of some description. Even if it isn't needed. It may change over time but even now with new builds people want to see fire.

Very few new builds in Dublin have a fire. They give you option of a fire but it is more or less a TV screen.

Most new builds I see have Solar as well, checked and local estate has PV on every house, five acre estate

If the government provided a proper incentive to install Solar PV then FiT would not be required. Then the excess power could be used to provide power to the grid and reduce the requirement on solid fuel burning to create electricity.

Vision. Something the irish government and a large percentage of the population seem to lack

Can you answer the question please.

Do you find Gemma O'Doherty truthful and informative?

Yes I do

Peer-reviewed scientists. Not a "new" discipline, unless you were born yesterday.

Not talking about peer reviewed journals talking about daily mainstream news sources

Any outlet which references peer reviewed scientific data or presents evidence which is accessible, up to date and relevant, has guests who are qualified and experienced in a particular field, explores both sides of the argument and doesn't seek to forward an agenda.

Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty couldn't even understand the above let alone adhere to it.

Yes I do

We're done here. I've no interest having a discussion with a fantasist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very few new builds in Dublin have a fire. They give you option of a fire but it is more or less a TV screen.

Most new builds I see have Solar as well, checked and local estate has PV on every house, five acre estate

If the government provided a proper incentive to install Solar PV then FiT would not be required. Then the excess power could be used to provide power to the grid and reduce the requirement on solid fuel burning to create electricity.

Vision. Something the irish government and a large percentage of the population seem to lack

It's changing re fires but people still want stoves. More so down the country.

Most people have solar cos of the regs. Easy way to tick that box.

A FIT would incentivise people to install solar bigger than self consumption to feed back to the grid. Outside of a FIT its hard to see that happening to any great degree

We're done here. I've no interest having a discussion with a fantasist.

Only fantasists that agree with you.
    This is what happens when people live in echo chambers

Only fantasists that agree with you.
    This is what happens when people live in echo chambers

Here is what I said I value in helping me become informed (bold added).
    Any outlet which references peer reviewed scientific data or presents evidence which is accessible, up to date and relevant, has guests who are qualified and experienced in a particular field, explores both sides of the argument and doesn't seek to forward an agenda.

Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty couldn't even understand the above let alone adhere to it.

Take care. The 21st century is going to blow your mind when you get as far as it.

• Advertisement

Here is what I said I value in helping me become informed (bold added).

Take care. The 21st century is going to blow your mind when you get as far as it.
    I'll be dead and buried long before the 21st century arrives my good friend

See everyone doesn’t get the same education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh my god!! :D

That explains all your posts now.....

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

See everyone doesn’t get the same education

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century

The university of Wiki? :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Oh my god!! :D

That explains all your posts now.....

LOL

Sorry for using this again but it did seem apt

“looking into a field full of thistles”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought claiming Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty were informative was gunna be as funny as things got but nope, it got better.

This is the best post in the whole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭tibruit

So how do you explain cattle dying in the fields at the start of last year because of the extended winter to flip over to one of the warmest summer we ever had?

That was after a period of more storms over a winter I can ever remember and the worst snow storm seen in Ireland in 30 years or so...

This is a classic example of alarmist hysteria where you take an unusual weather event and associate it with global warming. I`m another of these multi-generational farmers a few of ye like to ridicule and the simple answer to the above post is I`ve seen it all before and we`ll see it all again. Over 10 years ago the Shannon flooded and one of the daily papers called it "The Hundred Year Flood". I was telling an old guy I knew who grew up in Limerick in the 50`s about the headline and he just laughed. He`d seen the floods in his youth and said he remembered his father telling him about "floods the height of haycocks" two years in a row before the war.

I remember back in the 80`s when the statues started moving. Yeah right. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the country were claiming that they saw inanimate objects moving. Reminds me a lot of Global Warming alarmists today. A bunch of Chicken Lickens.:rolleyes:

tibruit wrote: »
    This is a classic example of alarmist hysteria where you take an unusual weather event and associate it with global warming. I`m another of these multi-generational farmers a few of ye like to ridicule and the simple answer to the above post is I`ve seen it all before and we`ll see it all again. Back 8 or 10 years ago the Shannon flooded and one of the daily papers called it "The Hundred Year Flood". I was telling an old guy I knew who grew up in Limerick in the 50`s about the headline and he just laughed. He`d seen the floods in his youth and said he remembered his father telling him about "floods the height of haycocks" two years in a row before the war.

I remember back in the 80`s when the statues started moving. Yeah right. Hundreds of thousands of people all over the country were claiming that they saw inanimate objects moving. Reminds me a lot of Global Warming alarmists today. A bunch of Chicken Lickens.:rolleyes:

I grew up on a farm which is still run in my family.

Are you trying to say the current weather patterns haven’t changed? I did post more details

This morning I woke up to frost in the garden, frost in May, that seem strange to you?

If you look at one thing in isolation then yes of course it happened previously, did you happen to ask the older man if he seen the last 24 months of weather before with a mixture of storms/flooding/snow storm/long mild winters/vey hot summers etc etc

Frost in May is not unusual at all.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I thought claiming Fox News and Gemma O'Doherty were informative was gunna be as funny as things got but nope, it got better.

This is the best post in the whole thread.

Well then the concept of sarcasm goes over your head and most of the others who don't think I know what the 21st century means

Well then the concept of sarcasm goes over your head and most of the others who don't think I know what the 21st century means

Ahh it took you a while to come up with sarcasm as an excuse

Hahahahahaha

I believe you.

See, I can do sarcasm as well.

I was born in the late 60`s and I`ve seen all the weather events you refer to before. In fact for a number of years I was beginning to wonder where the storms had gone, but sure enough they came back again. Maybe it`s cyclical, maybe it`s El Nino. I`m an agnostic on man made global warming. Maybe we`re a degree warmer now than we were in 1880. All I know is that only 12000 years ago we were under a sheet of ice and the evidence of that is everywhere on the landscape.

What I find interesting is that the early alarmists with their hockey stick graphs are now being shown to be a bit too hysterical.

I grew up on a farm which is still run in my family.
    Are you trying to say the current weather patterns haven’t changed? I did post more details
    This morning I woke up to frost in the garden, frost in May, that seem strange to you?
    If you look at one thing in isolation then yes of course it happened previously, did you happen to ask the older man if he seen the last 24 months of weather before with a mixture of storms/flooding/snow storm/long mild winters/vey hot summers etc etc

Frost in May in Ideland is not unusual no. It a fact the weather changes all the time but pinning down an isolated event as proof of a major looming catastrophe is rubbish. I remember previous droughts such as the one in 70s when the ground was baked so hard it so couldn't be dug or ploughed. Droughts and floods are part of the normal weather cycle.

It stuff like that result in much if the hysteria we are seeing tbh. Theres kids now thinking that think we're all going to be dead in 12 years time and are scared out of their wits. The child Greta was told about this kinda stuff when she was 8 years old, stopped eating and was diagnosed as clinically depressed by the time she was 11as s result.

I was born in the late 60`s and I`ve seen all the weather events you refer to before. In fact for a number of years I was beginning to wonder where the storms had gone, but sure enough they came back again. Maybe it`s cyclical, maybe it`s El Nino. I`m an agnostic on man made global warming. Maybe we`re a degree warmer now than we were in 1880. All I know is that only 12000 years ago we were under a sheet of ice and the evidence of that is everywhere on the landscape.

What I find interesting is that the early alarmists with their hockey stick graphs are now being shown to be a bit too hysterical.

Ok. Can you show some expert opinion which supports your position that alarmed people are being hysterical. Because, if not, and if you're not qualified to declare this yourself, then all you are doing is giving anecdotal evidence which is of no value.

What you have is an opinion (which you are entitled to have) but policy should not be based on opinions but on fact.

• Advertisement

Ok. Can you show some expert opinion which supports your position that alarmed people are being historical. Because, if not, and if you're not qualified to declare this yourself, then all you are doing is giving anecdotal evidence which is of no value.

What you have is an opinion (which you are entitled to have) but policy should not be based on opinions but on fact.

To be fair the poster never claimed the alarmed people are being historical :D

Tbh the alarmed never go away ...;)

Alarmed people may often be hysterical though - much like the ones claiming we're all going to die in 12 years / 12 years to save earth etc.

Ok. Can you show some expert opinion which supports your position that alarmed people are being historical. Because, if not, and if you're not qualified to declare this yourself, then all you are doing is giving anecdotal evidence which is of no value.

Moving statues ...1980`s.....I witnessed mass hysteria...thousands of people claiming they saw inanimate objects moving. There was one a few miles away and I went along one night and I`d estimate that there were at least a few thousand people there and most of them saw the statue moving. The whole thing was frankly ridiculous but there you go. There were a lot of people there that would have considered it a FACT that the statue was moving.

Ok. Can you show some expert opinion which supports your position that alarmed people are being hysterical. Because, if not, and if you're not qualified to declare this yourself, then all you are doing is giving anecdotal evidence which is of no value.

Eyewitness opinion is the most credible source of information.
    Not a scientific journal written by an academic with an agenda

Eyewitness opinion is the most credible source of information.
    Not a scientific journal written by an academic with an agenda

Those scientific journals are specifically such because they declare the methodology of the research such that it can be repeated or debunked. That is literally what scientific research is.

Natural and environmental scientists are literally observing, measuring the natural environment every day. They are the eyewitnesses.

Moving statues ...1980`s.....I witnessed mass hysteria...thousands of people claiming they saw inanimate objects moving. There was one a few miles away and I went along one night and I`d estimate that there were at least a few thousand people there and most of them saw the statue moving. The whole thing was frankly ridiculous but there you go. There were a lot of people there that would have considered it a FACT that the statue was moving.

Unless those people were holding scientific papers documenting and proving the movement of statues, it is irrelevant to this discussion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement