Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Springer spaniel or field spaniel pups where to buy?

• 10-04-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there, I’m looking for field spaniel or springer spaniel pup.
    Does anyone know where to look for one please?
    Or anyone who will have pups ?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi there, I’m looking for field spaniel or springer spaniel pup.
    Does anyone know where to look for one please?
    Or anyone who will have pups ?
    Thank you

Loads of rescues have lovely springers at the moment.. would you consider going down this route? Including puppies

Have you have a springer before?

Reason i ask is while they are fabulous dogs (I rescued one myself 13 weeks ago) they are not for the faint hearted, massive bundles of energy and require quiet slot of exercise.. not trying to put u off just being honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You won't get one from a reputable breeder or reputable rescue until the pandemic is over OP - they won't risk people handing back/dumping the pup in a few months time. I'm waiting for the pandemic to end so I can get a pup myself! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Field spaniels are quite rare these days, you' be waiting a few years for a pup.

Are you interested in a show or working type springer? They're almost different breeds at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Springwell wrote: »
    Field spaniels are quite rare these days, you' be waiting a few years for a pup.

Are you interested in a show or working type springer? They're almost different breeds at this point

anything half decent are like hens teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 16 _gone_wild_

cocker5 wrote: »
    Loads of rescues have lovely springers at the moment.. would you consider going down this route? Including puppies

Reason i ask is while they are fabulous dogs (I rescued one myself 13 weeks ago) they are not for the faint hearted, massive bundles of energy and require quiet slot of exercise.. not trying to put u off just being honest!

Yes I would be more than happy to rescue. I would however prefer puppy. Do you know where they have them? Or where did you get yours?

Yes, I did have a springer before and staffy. Their energy and temperament is one of the reasons I would like one again :)

• Advertisement

That’s what I thought...
    i would love Working type.

I did have a pedigree dog before but never brought him to shows etc.

jimf wrote: »
    anything half decent are like hens teeth

Yes, almost impossible to find

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

As someone who lives with one... don't. Even hunters are changing over to labs. They do what they want and can't be left alone, they get very anxious.

Strict dietary requirements too, their joints go bad quick.

ijohhj wrote: »
    As someone who lives with one... don't. Even hunters are changing over to labs. They do what they want and can't be left alone, they get very anxious.

you must be very unlucky im around springers for years

any dog will do what they want without a bit of training and handling

I have an 18 months old springer (only have him 13 weeks) and he’s super smart - really quick to learn and wants to please! Yes he was anxious when we got him .. not surprised given where he came from but huge progress over the last 13 weeks!

Any dog with proper time, effort and consistency can be trained surely?

Strict dietary? Do you mind if I ask what your referring to?

Again any dog / breed can have digestion issues ... not specific to springers I’m sure

Separation anxiety can occur in any dog .. again not breed specific .. proper training can help ease this .. training gives any dog confidence and this in turn will reduce other issues .. in any dog .. any breed

• Advertisement

I have an 18 months old springer (only have him 13 weeks) and he’s super smart - really quick to learn and wants to please! Yes he was anxious when we got him .. not surprised given where he came from but huge progress over the last 13 weeks!

Any dog with proper time, effort and consistency can be trained surely?

Strict dietary? Do you mind if I ask what your referring to?

Again any dog / breed can have digestion issues ... not specific to springers I’m sure

imho springers are bomb proof

and their loyalty has no bounds

yes they can be bonkers there not a dog for lying around all day

also they need a bit of grooming especially around the ears and chest areas

imho springers are bomb proof

and their loyalty has no bounds

yes they can be bonkers there not a dog for lying around all day

also they need a bit of grooming especially around the ears and chest areas

Exactly .. I’m a first time springer owner here (had a super active cocker for 14 years) and they are fabulous dog .. like all dogs though you only get out of them the time and effort you put in.. but even after only a short time he is super loyal, smart, kind and lovable .. and yes a huge bundle of energy .. but wouldn’t change him 💖

Like all breeds there's a lot of variety in temperament depending on bloodlines and upbringing. I've got an 8yo, 6yo, 5yo, two 2yos and four 3 week old pups currently.....all different personalities. They all need job though - be that as a gundog or agility, flyball, canicross etc. Going for a walk doesn't give them nearly as much enjoyment as "doing work".

ive had springers for donkeys years and can honestly say ive never seen an aggressive 1

my latest guy is 10 months now his name is jet and by jaysus is he living up to his name

Like all breeds there's a lot of variety in temperament depending on bloodlines and upbringing. I've got an 8yo, 6yo, 5yo, two 2yos and four 3 week old pups currently.....all different personalities. They all need job though - be that as a gundog or agility, flyball, canicross etc. Going for a walk doesn't give them nearly as much enjoyment as "doing work".

Yeah I do agree with you here .. we do a lot of hiking (20kms each weekend and 7km walks each evening - well before this covid 19 thing) and while we bring Cooper with us ... there’s nothing He prefers more than frisbee / fetch and he is phenomenal at it!

you must be very unlucky im around springers for years

any dog will do what they want without a bit of training and handling

You'll know all about the dysplasia, joint problems and strict dietary requirements so.

'You must be the minority' isn't a great argument.

You'll know all about the dysplasia, joint problems and strict dietary requirements so.

first off it wasn't meant as any kind of argument just an observation

and the issues you mention above can come from bad breeding but that applies to any dog regardless of breed

it is up to us to pick the breeder that scores there dogs when looking for a pup

the problem is you will not see or know until the pup is a lot older

as for digestion issues I have never had a springer as you describe and I have had plenty one thing I do know is if your feeding poor quality food with a high protein content derived from grain and cereals then you can and most likely will have digestive and itching issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I always wanted a Springer spaniel and I'd had dogs before ... namely westies ......and I happened to mention it to my cousin who has one so she invited me around to see hers ..... holly **** ... and hers was trained and a good few years old... I dread to think what a pup would be like...

My advice and the advice of my cousin is do not get a Springer spaniel unless you have buckets and buckets of time and patents....

I'm converted to keep owning westies..... my hands are up.... white flag ...

I'm not saying nobody else should get one but I did loads of research and a dog of that magnitude is not compatable with me or my family at this point in our lives....

Again I'm not saying op isnt compatable but I wish everyone did their homework when it comes to dogs.... not all dogs are the same. .

My neighbor has a beagle .... now that story is for another day.... but let's just day shes totally out of her depth and furniture.

I always wanted a Springer spaniel and I'd had dogs before ... namely westies ......and I happened to mention it to my cousin who has one so she invited me around to see hers ..... holly **** ... and hers was trained and a good few years old... I dread to think what a pup would be like...

My advice and the advice of my cousin is do not get a Springer spaniel unless you have buckets and buckets of time and patents....

I'm converted to keep owning westies..... my hands are up.... white flag ...

I'm not saying nobody else should get one but I did loads of research and a dog of that magnitude is not compatable with me or my family at this point in our lives....

Again I'm not saying op isnt compatable but I wish everyone did their homework when it comes to dogs.... not all dogs are the same. .

My neighbor has a beagle .... now that story is for another day.... but let's just day shes totally out of her depth and furniture.

The only thing I’d mention here is your are comparing two very very different breeds - which are not in reality comparable in size, exercise needs or in temperament! It’s like comparing chalk and cheese! Both lovely dogs but yes require different type of owners!

But I do agree with you people do not do enough research when getting a dog nor are the realistic in terms of expectations hence why so many dogs are dumped when things get challenging.

While I have a springer myself .. a beagle ??? not in a million years .. stunning dogs but a springer is enough for me :) and about as much as I can handle!

Hip dyplasia while more prevalent in some breeds not specific to springers? And it’s primarily down to poor breeding and environmental issues

My previous dog (cocker) was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 10 (showed no symptoms before then) and with proper treatment plan / multi module treatment he lived a very active happy life until he passed away from an unrelated illness

And surely some of these issues / joint issue are down to how active they are .. and if they have a ‘job’ etc? I’d say many working breeds suffer from joints issues .. but again very manageable for both owner and dog

Also strict dietary requirements? Can you please expand?

• Advertisement

and the issues you mention above can come from bad breeding but that applies to any dog regardless of breed

Incorrect, springers are very susceptible to these issues more so than other breeds.

'Bad breeding' won't matter if it comes to a rescue either. You're not going to know.
    My previous dog (cocker) was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 10

Lucky you. Try 6 or 7 for a lot of cases.
    Also strict dietary requirements? Can you please expand?

Springers need weight management for their join issues, I wonder what state some of your dogs are in if you don't know this...

hi john

I would really like to know where you have received this very inaccurate information from

for somebody who is only around boards for a few wet days I really wonder how we managed until you come along

both cocker and I are around here too long to raise to your baiting so go try elsewhere

if you want to have a discussion lets go ahead but I for 1 wont continue to post unless your attitude changes

just as an add on I think you will find ess do not even make the top 10 for hip dysplasia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Springers need weight management for their join issues, I wonder what state some of your dogs are in if you don't know this...

Mod note
    ijohhj, calling into question the welfare of other poster's pets is a low blow indeed, and utterly unfounded.
    Can I remind you of the strongly upheld forum rule here that whilst you're invited to debate your points, under no circumstances may you post in a disrespectful manner towards other posters. Your posting style is pushy, you're bordering on soap-boxing, and as stated, your nasty comments about other posters are intolerable.
    So, either rein it in. Or stop posting.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thank you,
    DBB

hi john

I would really like to know where you have received this very inaccurate information from

Must tell my vet she's wrong so.

Or not.

Springers are more prone to dysplasia, and as a result need a strict diet of weight maintaining dog food. Those are the facts. Same with springers being prone to anxiety if left alone. These facts don't change if I'm the first or last person registered on this board.

I'm sure my several years educated and practising vet will care about a stay at home mom blog site called iheartdogs.com

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/English-Springer-Spaniel-Traits

"Separation Anxiety
    Unfortunately, one common trait of Springers is separation anxiety. This breed needs to please and be one with their owners and does not react well when not given enough attention. While it is sometimes necessary to be apart from your dog, certain breeds do not react well to being left alone for long periods of time, and the Springer is a prime example of this.

Barking, chewing, and destruction can be the aftermath, and when I personally hear a story of a neglected Springer or any dog, it is very upsetting. So please, even though I highly recommend adopting or getting a Springer, please think of these important considerations."

https://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_english_springer_spaniel

"The English Springer Spaniel, which has an average lifespan of 10 to 14 years, is prone to major health problems like elbow dysplasia, otitis externa, and canine hip dysplasia (CHD), and minor issues such as progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), phosphofructokinase deficiency, and retinal dysplasia.

A few of the tests that are required for them are DNA for phosphofructokinase deficiency, elbow, knee, hip, and eye. Gastric torsion, entropion, patellar luxation, seizures, and rage syndrome can occasionally be seen in them."

I can google too.

Okay ijohhj, enough of the smartarsery now. We try to give people a chance here if they haven't posted much before, so it's disappointing that you haven't managed to improve your tone since I asked you to earlier.
    Any more posts that are disrespectful, or an attempt to cock your leg on other posters, will earn you a forum ban.
    This is your 2nd warning. I can't be any fairer than that.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thank you,
    DBB

All I'm doing is providing op with insight into a decision they may come to regret. Our springer is on more pills per day than a geriatric, and can be heard down the street when left alone for just a few minutes. These are known issues with springers by all educated and experienced with them, and widely, widely documented.

Contradictions to these widely, widely documented realities are not helpful. Disregarding a posters experience and inferring it's the minority case when it's not, simply because you like the breed is not on, at all. Great that people like them. The fact remains they come with a lot of baggage, and expensive baggage too.

All of this is very fair on my part.

Springers certainly do have health issues - hip and elbow dysplasia are not uncommon. There are various genetic diseases which can be tested for before breeding (PRA, AMS, PFK, Fuco) and bred out of the gene pool. Eye tests too. This is true of all breeds though - responsible breeders health test their breeding animals in order to better the breed.

I breed working Springers - so for me it's a balance of excellent working ability and health, I don't want a healthy dog on paper who can't hunt his way out of a paper bag but I don't want an amazing athlete who goes lame at 2yo. I hip/ebow score, DNA test and eye test all potential breeding dogs. I have an exceptional working dog - he has elbow and hip dysplasia, he will never sire a litter.

• Advertisement

Springers certainly do have health issues - hip and elbow dysplasia are not uncommon. There are various genetic diseases which can be tested for before breeding (PRA, AMS, PFK, Fuco) and bred out of the gene pool. Eye tests too. This is true of all breeds though - responsible breeders health test their breeding animals in order to better the breed.

I breed working Springers - so for me it's a balance of excellent working ability and health, I don't want a healthy dog on paper who can't hunt his way out of a paper bag but I don't want an amazing athlete who goes lame at 2yo. I hip/ebow score, DNA test and eye test all potential breeding dogs. I have an exceptional working dog - he has elbow and hip dysplasia, he will never sire a litter.

spot on

No, not spot on.

Wonder why the moderator allows complete dismissal of links I provided and then wonders why there's smartarsery

For a start, it's not true for all breeds at all. Joint trouble is disproportionately more likely to happen to a springer spaniel. Again; very, very well documented.

Second, who buys off breeders? They're a ripoff. The average joe looks for rescues or 'oops she got pregnant' sales; how much paperwork is done there? OP has already expressed interest in going the rescue route so 'DNA testing' is worthless being mentioned in this case. (Ours is a puppy farm rescue, he didn't come with his 23andme done.)

"I breed working Springers"- I really would reconsider my career choices here, as I said, even hunters are switching to labs because they simply can't control Springers anymore. 'Training' is irrelevant, who wants to burn time doing that. They want a well natured and obedient dog to begin with, whose joints won't be shot half way through their lifetime.

No, not spot on.

Wonder why the moderator allows complete dismissal of links I provided and then wonders why there's smartarsery

ijohhj, you entirely misjudged why the MODERATOR got on your case. It's not your links. It's not your opinion.
    It's your delivery.
    Your tone is way over the top, you are shoving your opinion on everybody (soapboxing), including people who are both vastly experienced and qualified. You yourself have backed up your statements on springers and separation distress with only a link to an opinion piece by some randomer with no stated qualifications in veterinary or behavioural science... for what it's worth, springers do not feature as a breed that behaviourists see for separation distress, which you'll find out if you look up the APBC Case Data Reports.
    And you just couldn't stop your nasty posting style, despite my asking you TWICE to tone it down.
    In light of this, you will take a break from this forum. When/if you return, you may take it as read that moderators will be monitoring your posts to ensure you remedy your style and tone.
    Thank you.
    DBB

No, not spot on.

For a start, it's not true for all breeds at all. Joint trouble is disproportionately more likely to happen to a springer spaniel. Again; very, very well documented.

Second, who buys off breeders? They're a ripoff. The average joe looks for rescues or 'oops she got pregnant' sales; how much paperwork is done there? OP has already expressed interest in going the rescue route so 'DNA testing' is worthless being mentioned in this case. (Ours is a puppy farm rescue, he didn't come with his 23andme done.)

"I breed working Springers"- I really would reconsider my career choices here, as I said, even hunters are switching to labs because they simply can't control Springers anymore. 'Training' is irrelevant, who wants to burn time doing that. They want a well natured and obedient dog to begin with, whose joints won't be shot half way through their lifetime.

Did I read in one of your previous posts you actually own a springer yourself?

Why? You have such a negative opinion of the breed infact it comes across as distain for springers ... so why bother??

the thing with boards usually somebody puts up a post either looking for an opinion or a bit of advice

there are posters on here that have forgotten more about dogs etc than I will ever learn or read

I def for one value their opinions

its an awful pity when somebody comes along with no other agenda only to upset and piss off those around here this could have been a very interesting thread if it was allowed develop along the usual lines

well said cocker in your last post why have something that obviously is not what you want its a pity if john has an unhealthy ess

but no need to batter and bash the entire breed and people like springwell who is obviously a responsible breeder

people think when they see you are a breeder you are coining it far from you will be lucky to break even from a litter of pups

last time I bred my springer I started off with a c section because of a stuck puppy and then mastitis so go figure but for me its not money either its to keep and maybe better my lines

No, not spot on.

I'm a vet by trade, involved as a breed health coordinator and also support a gundog rescue so I'm quite happy my opinions are better researched and balanced than yours.

I see more Labradors for lameness than I do Springers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement