Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline - left parcel in garden and appears to have been stolen?

Options
  • 30-05-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I got a Nighline delivery of clothes from Next today. Nightline told me they would deliver between certain hours. My son left the porch unlocked and open so they could just place it in the porch. When I got home, there was no sign of the parcel. I then looked at the tracking number, and it said that the parcel was left behind the garden wall - but no sign anywhere. Either it's been left at the wrong house or stolen. I am so annoyed as I never told them to deliver it just to our front garden, and I don't know how they could think that was a safe or acceptable way of delivering the package. Where do I stand with this. Will Next give me a refun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Hannaho wrote: »
    I got a Nighline delivery of clothes from Next today. Nightline told me they would deliver between certain hours. My son left the porch unlocked and open so they could just place it in the porch. When I got home, there was no sign of the parcel. I then looked at the tracking number, and it said that the parcel was left behind the garden wall - but no sign anywhere. Either it's been left at the wrong house or stolen. I am so annoyed as I never told them to deliver it just to our front garden, and I don't know how they could think that was a safe or acceptable way of delivering the package. Where do I stand with this. Will Next give me a refun?
    Probably delivered next door or a few doors down, check there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Hannaho wrote: »

A fair few delivery services are operating a 'kerb side' drop off policy, that being said individual drivers will put it to your door if they're sound. Some drivers have always just left it anywhere. Ask neighbours they may have left it with one of them happens way too often.
    If not contact next, Nightline won't deal with you directly it's in their t&c's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This thread belongs in Consumer Issues. Going to move it there now folks but a reminder to read the charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It doesn't matter where they said they delivered it, or where they actually delivered it - you haven't got it so contact the seller. It's up to them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

HI! Thanks for replies. My neighbour on one side does not have it. On the other side, we don't talk to them for very significant reasons - so if it was delivered there, we won't be getting it. It's a busy street where our garden is. If they just left it in our garden, rather than at porch door, anyone passing could just pick it up from behind a very low garden wall. I will contact Next. I wouldn't buy from them again now after this if the use Nighline and this is what happens. Just want a refund now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,854 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s commonplace in the courier industry to do what they call an indirect delivery. I’m not sure if Nightline do this but what it would mean would be the courier knocking on a next door neighbors door or one or two doors further down maybe, asking them to sign for it and print their name so it’s legible. They ‘should’ then put a card in the door of the intended recipient with a note indicating where it’s been delivered and a contact number to call if there would be an issue...

Saves the courier the time and the hassle of having a re-delivery the next day and provides the customer the ability of having access to their delivery that afternoon or evening even though they won’t have been there to accept delivery... doing an indirect delivery without advising the intended recipient is shît, lazy and unacceptable though quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s commonplace in the courier industry to do what they call an indirect delivery. I’m not sure if Nightline do this but what it would mean would be the courier knocking on a next door neighbors door or one or two doors further down maybe, asking them to sign for it and print their name so it’s legible. They ‘should’ then put a card in the door of the intended recipient with a note indicating where it’s been delivered and a contact number to call if there would be an issue...

Saves the courier the time and the hassle of having a re-delivery the next day and provides the customer the ability of having access to their delivery that afternoon or evening even though they won’t have been there to accept delivery... doing an indirect delivery without advising the intended recipient is shît, lazy and unacceptable though quite frankly.

Alot of them **** whatever it is over the fence or leave tyres lying on the middle of your lawn . No text no email nothing.

I'm looking at DPD here several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Similar experience here. Nightline delivered to the garden but package no where to be seen. Rang the company - said they hadn’t delivered down our way in weeks. Spoke to a delivery driver who also couldn’t explain but was willing to personally replace the item. We didn’t take him up on the offer and reordered.

After a few weeks, the first package appeared in the garden - it was put under an upside down pot plant.

It is possible it is hiding in your garden too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Check your green bin too

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Nightline left a parcel with a neighbour 3 houses away from me once and I only got it 2 weeks later as they forgot about it and had been on holidays in the meantime. So it might turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Next are moving delivery service to Dpd from July.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

listermint wrote: »
    Alot of them **** whatever it is over the fence or leave tyres lying on the middle of your lawn . No text no email nothing.

I'm looking at DPD here several times.

DPD are no better than nighline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Darc19 wrote: »
    Next are moving delivery service to Dpd from July.

Since ups took over nightline it's gone to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

From two recent experiences from these delivery companies I'd have little enough confidence in them. Just last Thursday I came home from the daily walk to find a big package on my front mat. Nothing to do with me, it was for a house 10 doors down with a similar number. It was there in full view and could easily have disappeared.

Even worse, we have a side gate on one side that we rarely use. A few months ago I found inside it a large package for a name I didn't recognise and no house number. A few door to door calls and it again turned out to be for a house down the road. The package had been there a fortnight and they had been on to to delivery company who insisted that it had been delivered correctly.

Very shoddy and clearly they don't give much of a hoot once they get the packages out of the van. And I should add with regard to the second crowd, the side gate is two metres tall so the package was thrown over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

currently have the same issue, DPD say they have delivered an item, no where to be seen and I have requested a Proof Of Delivery POD, and they are only saying we sent you a txt and email. Im not getitng any where with them on this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not Nightline, but another delivery company had recently left a parcel belonging to someone lving a half-mile away from me. Fortunately I knew the people and could drop it into them. But as the OP is discovering, there appears to be no code of conduct assocciated with these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have seen various courier companies around my estate just leave packages on the doorstep. Even when people are obviously in the house, they don't even ring the door, just drop and leave.

It has also happened to me, several times - I have been surprised to be heading out the door and find deliveries on the step - this has been my experience with various delivery companies.

I haven't lost anything yet, but have had stuff get wet from being left outside, while I was waiting for delivery inside. I have always contacted the seller to let them know, but most don't seem to care from the lack of response received.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to Couriers

be easy to invest in a metal box with a lid and a pin code lock on it. give code to courier and be done.

irishgeo wrote: »
    be easy to invest in a metal box with a lid and a pin code lock on it. give code to courier and be done.

Couriers need to obtain a signature for every shipment delivered. No courier should be ‘leaving’ a package anywhere.

Why though should people have to invest in a metal box, time installing it, then go picking up the phone to a courier company, wait on hold and then spend time with them organizing deliveries, giving codes etc ? If a courier attempts to make a delivery to me tomorrow and I just happen to be elsewhere, they leave a card, with the package ref. number... I call the number on the card and we agree a mutual time that suits me and the courier company to make another delivery... I know quite a bit about this industry having been employed for a while in it and that’s what happens to about 10-15% of packages. The companies ring too in the evening if you haven’t called them...

• Advertisement

Couriers need to obtain a signature for every shipment delivered. No courier should be ‘leaving’ a package anywhere.

Why though should people have to invest in a metal box, time installing it, then go picking up the phone to a courier company, wait on hold and then spend time with them organizing deliveries, giving codes etc ? If a courier attempts to make a delivery to me tomorrow and I just happen to be elsewhere, they leave a card, with the package ref. number... I call the number on the card and we agree a mutual time that suits me and the courier company to make another delivery... I know quite a bit about this industry having been employed for a while in it and that’s what happens to about 10-15% of packages. The companies ring too in the evening if you haven’t called them...
    the days of couriers are numbered anyway. delivery bots will be arriving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

no signatures required during covid ,does not explain prior to covid alright, also,my brother works for a large retailer,he told me that the recipient is marked down as one to watch for if claiming for items that are marked as delivered,but are nowhere to be found,and that retailers share this info occasionally.

thats fair enough, but if you havent recieved tha parcel, should the retailer be abe to provide a POD if there is a dispute?

tech wrote: »
    thats fair enough, but if you havent recieved tha parcel, should the retailer be abe to provide a POD if there is a dispute?

Normally yes,a lot of the time it's your word against the drivers.

ive contacted the retailer again to provide a POD

no signatures required during covid ,does not explain prior to covid alright, also,my brother works for a large retailer,he told me that the recipient is marked down as one to watch for if claiming for items that are marked as delivered,but are nowhere to be found,and that retailers share this info occasionally.

Ok right, I’m reading now no sigs for many companies, couriers or some are though requesting the name of the signatory verbally and themselves adding it to the delivery record which is sensible..

from all the deliveries we recivee, DPD , Nightline Fastways never signed for anything

ITs just UPS we have to sign for!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It seems to depend on the instructions from the sender. Apple won’t allow deliveries to amyone but the end user, unless with their express permission. A lot these days either don’t require a signature or the couriers fill it in themselves which can cause huge problems. It makes sense during Covid to allow them to sign For you.

in my experience ,if i call for instructions i get told to leave it somewhere they specify,and sign for it,which is allowed in most cases,only certain things are not allowed.. im a postie btw,rural now but have done cities too. most people just want it left for them,small minority will say leave a docket for collection. on a few occasions ive been told where the spare key is and leave the item in the door and put key back, lol,suits both parties really,as id never go inside just open door,pop in parcel,lock it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nightline hurled a Next package down our side entrance 2 days ago.No messages or anything left.The range they got on the package throw, was impressive, OH found it almost in our back garden,....guy must have literally flung it over the side gate as hard as he could.
    I am not too fussy, but it seemed a bit OTT to me....

Advertisement