Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Curious...

Options
  • 29-05-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭

How does a small town in Wicklow like Greystones have its own Board? Why not just use the Wicklow one?

Why isnt Boards.ie full of Boards for every small town in Ireland instead of the County/City Boards that everyone else uses? Seems a bit odd that one town is different...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thargor wrote: »
    How does a small town in Wicklow like Greystones have its own Board? Why not just use the Wicklow one?

Why isnt Boards.ie full of Boards for every small town in Ireland instead of the County/City Boards that everyone else uses? Seems a bit odd that one town is different...

Back in the day the number of users justified it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Population of Wicklow: 142,425 (from Census 2016)

Bray: 32,600
    Greystones: 18,140
    Arklow: 13,163
    Wicklow: 10,584

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jpd wrote: »
    Population of Wicklow: 142,425 (from Census 2016)

Bray: 32,600
    Greystones: 18,140
    Arklow: 13,163
    Wicklow: 10,584

Interesting.

That is a lot of people in Greystones (which would have increased a lot since 2016). I wonder if it includes Charlesland too?

Yes, it would include Charlesland.

If you include Delgany, the population of Greystones is probably 22k+ now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes, it would include Charlesland.

If you include Delgany, the population of Greystones is probably 22k+ now

I think technically Charlesland is considered part of Kilcoole

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Back in the day the number of users justified it
    How was it justified though? Compared to a Bray board for example...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How was it justified though? Compared to a Bray board for example...

My understanding is that although Bray has a larger population there were not as many people from there expressing an interest.

I see, that makes sense.

So is Killinncarrig considered to be part of Delgany or Greystones?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

2011 wrote: »
    I see, that makes sense.

So is Killinncarrig considered to be part of Delgany or Greystones?

There is often confusion regarding Irish addresses. The “town” in the name merely signifies where the post for the address is sorted at a local level. It’s incredible important to the Irish psyche and to property prices, though!

Charlesland townland is in the Kilcoole Electoral District. It’s postal sorting office is Greystones.

Killincarrig is in the Greystones Electoral District. It’s postal sorting office is also Greystones.

townlands.ie is great resource to find out the political subdivision of any townland in Ireland, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the CSO includes Charlesland in Greystones for population purposes (also Delgany).

For electoral purposes, it's in the Kilcoole ED.

The reason Greystones has it's own board dates back to when Charlesland was built - a Greystones/Charlesland thread was started on the Wicklow board and before long it was responsible for 80% of all posts on that board, so it was spun off into a sub-forum. Like much of Boards, it's much quieter now because of Facebook groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Delgany had its own postman back about 30 years ago, he covered Killincarrig and Crowabbey. He worked out of Ludlow's post office in Delgany.
    Dick Jenkinson was the last postman in Delgany.

Is Greystones really in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is Greystones really in Wicklow?
    Seriously? :confused:

Seriously? :confused:

I know it is geographically but in mindset it’s really south Dublin now (like Bray). Has the bus and dort too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

I know it is geographically but in mindset it’s really south Dublin now (like Bray). Has the bus and dort too.

has a bus? makes it South Dublin lol

I hate to break this to you but Bray is in Co. Wicklow even though it has the Dort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The Dargle is officially the border in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

homer911 wrote: »
    The Dargle is officially the border in Bray

it was once, but it's a little north of the river now:

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

loyatemu wrote: »
    the CSO includes Charlesland in Greystones for population purposes (also Delgany).

For electoral purposes, it's in the Kilcoole ED.

The reason Greystones has it's own board dates back to when Charlesland was built - a Greystones/Charlesland thread was started on the Wicklow board and before long it was responsible for 80% of all posts on that board, so it was spun off into a sub-forum. Like much of Boards, it's much quieter now because of Facebook groups.

My claim to fame being that I started that thread!

No you didn't - unless you have more than one User name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

No you didn't - unless you have more than one User name
    Why would I lie? I have changed username since then. That was a long time ago.

I think it was called "anyone moving to Charlesland" or something like that? As I said it was a LONG time ago, and I don't live there anymore.

Advertisement