Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2019 - September15th.

Options
  • 07-06-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

If you like climbing, descending and the undisputed charms of the Wicklow hills and valleys, well some good news for you; the Reservoir Dog Sportive is back for the fifth edition on September 15th. Online registration is now live. The 65km route is the same as the last couple of years but we have updated the 125km route to keep things fresh and interesting. Bear with us while we update the club website with details of the new route etc. In the meantime event details are here;

https://www.facebook.com/events/1091540664376754/

And the Registration link is at;

https://eventmaster.ie/event/BdRH23c8j

We would love to see you all again for anyone who has ' Done the Dog' before. And if you haven't been with us before. now is the time to sign up and get training for those hills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've done them all to date and loved them. My hands down favourite sportive.
    Thought I'd be out of the country this year but I'll actually be back in time so hope to see there again :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any discount for those who crashed on the way last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

What rotten luck you had last year Weepsie. How long were you off the bike for? Better luck this year. I'm sure we can do something for you. Leave it with me and I will come back to you.

Corker1 wrote: »
    What rotten luck you had last year Weepsie. How long were you off the bike for? Better luck this year. I'm sure we can do something for you. Leave it with me and I will come back to you.

Ha, I'm joking, but I'm in just can't register for a few weeks. Hold a place maybe.

I've been told by the OH I can do it if I get a lift to the start.

I was back on after 2-3 weeks. Nothing broken just a lot of skin missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there links to the routes?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ha, I'm joking, but I'm in just can't register for a few weeks. Hold a place maybe.

I've been told by the OH I can do it if I get a lift to the start.

I was back on after 2-3 weeks. Nothing broken just a lot of skin missing.

Well it was good that nothing was broken but roadrash is a bugger. We will save you a spot. If you have a problem when you are ready to book just let me know. Yes get a lift this time :D

Not yet, but suffice to say that the start is a wee bit easier and there is a new climb towards the tail end. A few of us in the club did a test ride of the new route last week and really enjoyed it. Still a tough day but on class roads. We think it is even better than the original.

Here is a Ride with GPS link to the 125km Route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30243387

There are a few changes to the 125km Dog route this year. The 65km Pup route is the same as previous years;
    1. We have taken the Dowry climb out. It was a shock to the system for many riders so early on and the road linking the top of the Dowry to the Army Camp is now in a very poor state.
    2. We have now made the first climb Scurlocksleap' / Athdown. A lovely climb to wake up the legs before the heavy climbing begins. This climb is left off the Sally Gap road about 10km out of Kilbride. Turn is opposite Kippure House.
    3. We have changed the route into Roundwood after the drop off Lugalla. Now you turn right at Annacarter Xroads. We felt that Safety /visibility was better for the right turn junction onto the R755 closer to Roundwood that the original right turn at the T junction.
    4. The food stop has changed to the Brockagh Centre, Laragh. No stop at Annamoe anymore.
    5. There is a new Climb after Ballysmutton Bridge. Instead of climbing to the top of Ballysmutton and down to Oldcourt and Lake Drive, the route now swings left after the switchbacks to go over the Ballynultagh Gap and down to Lacken. It is a testing wee climb so late on the route but it is on a very scenic and quiet road. Plus it cuts out half of Lake Drive that people found such tough going every year.
    The route changes have added less than 100m of climbing to the total route and will be a nice change/challenge for those that have completed the Reservoir Dog Sportive before. Water stops will be located at Kippure gates and close to Ballysmutton Bridge.

We think that riders will enjoy the revised route! Anyway, there is only one way to find out ;)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30243387

Great event!, the bottle of beer and burger after the event goes down well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you only do one sportif this year, this is the one to do. If you do lots, this will be the best. Great route, marshalling, food, drink and a friendly welcome. What more could you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

If you only do one sportif this year, this is the one to do. If you do lots, this will be the best. Great route, marshalling, food, drink and a friendly welcome. What more could you want?

Two or three bottles of a beer :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Definitely considering this as end of season craic and suffering.

9am start means two nights accommodation though.

Is it pre registration only?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

That horrible first real climb as your turn left after coming out of kilbride is gone which is great however I'm not sure everyone will be thankful of the left turn climbing out of Ballysmutten when the legs are hanging off you :) On the plus side. You will have a decent descent to get back some energy before finishing off the lakes.

gmacww wrote: »
    That horrible first real climb as your turn left after coming out of kilbride is gone which is great however I'm not sure everyone will be thankful of the left turn climbing out of Ballysmutten when the legs are hanging off you :) On the plus side. You will have a decent descent to get back some energy before finishing off the lakes.

Well it is The Reservoir Dog! We couldn't go taking one climb out without replacing it further on. Folk are expecting a challenge afterall :). Chopping off the top of Ballysmutton climb and taking out half of Lake Drive balances things out nicely we think. Having ridden the new route recently I think it is superior to the previous editions.....And I'm a clapped out ould fart!:D

dahat wrote: »
    Definitely considering this as end of season craic and suffering.

9am start means two nights accommodation though.

Is it pre registration only?

Yes. It is pre - registration only. And booking fast!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmmm, totally out of shape and have done very few long spins in the last couple of years but thoroughly enjoyed this a few years back so what the hell. 125k booked so need to lose some serious poundage and get some hills in by legs if I'm going to haul my fat ass up Cunard and over the gap a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that looks savage, i'd be in shape for the mileage but the amount of climbing looks harsh

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

I just signed up to do this again, I did it last year and thought it was a very good day out - it was very well organised and had a few nice hills!

It'll be a good incentive to get out more on the hills over the next couple of months so I can hope to fly around on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Less Lake Drive - I'm in! :)

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Less Lake Drive - I'm in! :)

We were acting on your feedback Macy :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Hmm, I think overall, it's harder, that climb at the end, over Sorrell Hill is significantly tougher than the whole lake drive! And you've still got most of the lake drive. But yeah I still think I'll do it. Enjoyed it last year so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In!

Just a quick heads up for anyone planning to take part in the Reservoir Dog Sportive on September 15th. We are Three weeks out from the event and we have filled most of the available places. We only have about 45 spots remaining as of midnight. We are not trying to do the hard sell on this but I would not like any Boardsies to miss out on taking part if you have been holding back on pulling the trigger on entering. Especially as we are online entry only this year and it will not be possible to just rock up on the day. I hope every Boards rider who wants to take part manages to bag a place. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a good load from Dunshaughlin signed up for the 65km, doing the Peter mc Verry the day before so will be a good weekends biking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Where is the nearest camp site to the starting location ?

Is anyone driving to this from Glasnevin direction with space for another plus bike? I can contribute petrol money or charity donation or something. Might not need a lift back.

Or Dublin Northside anyway. My permission to attend is based on my not cycling to the start and having an entirely avoidable and calamoutous crash enroute

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just signed up for the 125 km

*gulp* :pac:

jamesd wrote: »
    Where is the nearest camp site to the starting location ?

Hi James's. The nearest official camp ground to the event is Moat Farm Caravan and Camp site in Donard village. This is located about 15km South of the start / finish. I spoke to Nuala who runs it and they have spaces available for 14th & 15th Sept.. they officially close after the 14th but will accommodate on 15th if required. Checkout link: https://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/wicklow/moat-farm-caravan-camping-park

Contact Nuala on 045 404727.

The next nearest site is Camac Valley in Dublin 22. Which is 23km north of us.

Corker1 wrote: »
    Hi James's. The nearest official camp ground to the event is Moat Farm Caravan and Camp site in Donard village. This is located about 15km South of the start / finish. I spoke to Nuala who runs it and they have spaces available for 14th & 15th Sept.. they officially close after the 14th but will accommodate on 15th if required. Checkout link: https://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/wicklow/moat-farm-caravan-camping-park

Contact Nuala on 045 404727.

The next nearest site is Camac Valley in Dublin 22. Which is 23km north of us.

Thanks very much for checking that, no to convince the wife and kids for a weekend away in the campervan .

• Advertisement

Signed up, will cycle in that morning.

Advertisement