Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

black, one sugar for me. from an aeropress usually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm an absolute fiend for chocolate, cakes etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

loyatemu wrote: »
    regular Coke is pretty much the only mainstream soft drink left that doesn't have sweeteners in it; all the others have been spoiled by the sugar tax.
    As a Diabetic this was a pain in the ass, as Lucozade no longer saves your life in an emergency, Coke or Orange Juice are the only safe bets left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm an absolute fiend for chocolate, cakes etc

I'm a disaster. Chocolate and crisps for me

I'm a disaster. Chocolate and crisps for me

Oh and beer lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

CramCycle wrote: »
    As a Diabetic this was a pain in the ass, as Lucozade no longer saves your life in an emergency, Coke or Orange Juice are the only safe bets left.

I hadn't realised that, very handy to know, I had an incident on my bus some years ago where it took maybe 15/20 minutes for me to realise that the lady who was disorientated wasnt just confused, she was low on sugar.
    It was also amazing to see the speed of change once I had given her some lucozade.

Best call ever in work, I need to chat to a colleague face to face regarding an issue and she's based northside, I will be going via Howth and on two wheels.

I've pulled out my old Ksyriums and taking the road bike for its first spin in some time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I suppose, the way I look at it is that Coke and Diet Coke are not actually Regular and Diet versions of the same drink, they are simply completely different drinks with almost no similarities. I like Diet Coke, I don't like Coke.
    Yes, diet coke is said to taste like "new coke". When new coke failed they kept diet coke and there was then no low calorie version of "coke classic" until coke zero came along. Not sure why it took so long.

I also think it strange that they did not keep "new coke" as there are loads of people who love diet coke and hate "coke classic"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Coke
    Diet Coke does not use a modified form of the Coca-Cola recipe, but instead an entirely different formula based on the Tab formula. The controversial New Coke, introduced in 1985, used a version of the Diet Coke recipe that contained high-fructose corn syrup and had a slightly different balance of ingredients. In 2005, the company introduced Coca-Cola Zero (renamed Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in 2017), a sugar-free formula more closely based on original Coca-Cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

on 29th January 2020, I ordered a small item from China on eBay, value less than a fiver.
    It arrived today, almost exactly a year later.
    Is this a record?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's chas'n'dave's greatest hits on 12" vinyl, i would say it certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Eamonnator wrote: »
    on 29th January 2020, I ordered a small item from China on eBay, value less than a fiver.
    It arrived today, almost exactly a year later.
    Is this a record?

It certainly beats my worst - about 16 weeks, though surprisingly, in the last 4 months they've been quite rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Somehow I think fat_bloke wins this game hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

This etoile de besseges starts on Wednesday, with some interesting lineups including Irishman Eddie Dunbar racing with some big Ineos names:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/etoile-de-besseges/2021/gc/startlist

Does anyone know if this is gonna be on Eurosport/GCN Race pass?

This etoile de besseges starts on Wednesday, with some interesting lineups including Irishman Eddie Dunbar racing with some big Ineos names:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/etoile-de-besseges/2021/gc/startlist

Does anyone know if this is gonna be on Eurosport/GCN Race pass?

Not listed on either at the moment but given the cancelation of the Spanish races this week they might try to secure the rights. The other not so legitimate places do have the race listed for streaming on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

there was a bit of discussion about that volvo system a week or two back here; the caveats are so extensive it's absurd.
    For the function to be able to detect a cyclist, he/she must be an adult and riding an "adult bicycle".
    The bicycle must be equipped with a highly visible and approved
    rearward-facing red reflector, fitted at least 70 cm above the roadway.
    The function can only detect cyclists directly from behind and who are travelling in the same direction - not at an angle from behind, not from the side.
    Cyclists travelling on the left or right-hand edge of the car's imagined/extended side lines may be detected late or not at all.
    The function's capacity to detect cyclists at dusk and dawn is limited - just like the human eye.
    The function's capacity to detect cyclists is deactivated when driving in darkness and tunnels - even when streetlights are lit.
    For optimum bicycle detection, the City Safety™ function must be activated, see City Safety™.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

there was a bit of discussion about that volvo system a week or two back here; the caveats are so extensive it's absurd.
    The function can only detect cyclists directly from behind and who are travelling in the same direction - not at an angle from behind, not from the side.
    Alan Partridge could narrate that :D

• Advertisement

I got a few WhatsApp messages a short while ago describing how a group of about 40 feral youths on bikes were travelling around Dublin city centre looking for a foreign deliveroo rider allegedly to kill in revenge for a recent death.
    No idea on the truth of their allegation or what has subsequently happened.
    Anyone with any accurate info on these vermin?

it'd be great to see deliveroo step up and offer their 'staff' better pay and conditions. but hey, i'm not stupidly naive.
    i've never willingly used one of those services, i think we managed to use one once by accident.

it'd be great to see deliveroo step up and offer their 'staff' better pay and conditions. but hey, i'm not stupidly naive.
    i've never willingly used one of those services, i think we managed to use one once by accident.

I had used Deliveroo on occasion when working in the City Centre and couldn't get out or hadn't brought lunch, its not a cheap service yet the riders are making little money.

Deliveroo don't care who does the work the owner of the account only needs to be legally able to work, this led to people owning multiple accounts and renting them out.

They are being rented for anything between 60&100 per week and being sold for silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think that's par for the course for any 'detection' system. I remember seeing the list of caveats for a pedestrian detection system, and it went something like:

May not detect pedestrians if:
    * carrying luggage
    * wheeling a buggy
    * holding an umbrella
    * standing on a manhole or metal object
    * standing beside railings
    * wearing bright clothing
    * wearing dark clothing
    * walking slowly
    * walking quickly
    etc.

This looks like (the start of) the list I saw: https://qz.com/1303581/what-will-stump-the-toyota-camry-automatic-braking-system/

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Technically this is a difficult problem to solve in real time, I believe that ultimately AI will help here. It might be rubblish now but I'd imagine we'll see these sort of systems improve greatly over time. Sounds like the Volvo marketing guys got a bit carried away.

planning for improved infrastructure be like:

https://twitter.com/AccidentalP/status/1356182263172653056

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You just can't make this sh1t up. The number of cars caught on their twitter feed who were only caught because they made themselves obvious. I am no criminal mastermind but if I didn't want to get lifted in my uninsured, untaxed, NCT failed motor, I wouldn't drive down the N7 at 166kmph with no seat belt on. Every day on their feed though, idiots getting caught for being idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

Every day on their feed though, idiots getting caught for being idiots.

But that's how we know they are idiots :)

I always that that there's be great benefits to be had if stupidity was painful

Advertisement