Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Slieve Bloom Extreme Challenge on Saturday. 172km, 2717m of elevation gain, 27.3km/h average. Class sportive.
    Dropped my saddle bag on one of descents. If 7 climbs wasn't enough, had to climb another 1-2km to look for it, so lost contact with the front group. Last 60km on my own.

First time in that part of Ireland. Good variety of climbs. Some steady, some with steep ramps. Apparently narrowly missed on polka dot jersey. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

First time commuting by bike this morning. Absolutely loved it and my fear of helmet hair was ill founded! Uphill on the way home but still only took 30 mins. Already looking forward to tomorrow. If any (in particular female!) commuters have any tips for creaseproof office wear or any other tips I’d love to hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did almost 56km @ 28km avg this evening after work - the evenings are bunched, quite dark by the time I got back...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2694345501

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

First time up the Col du Galibier yesterday (from the Telegraphe side). What a climb - majestic in every way. The descent to the Col du Lautaret was something to behold.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2694099908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

KathleenF wrote: »
    First time commuting by bike this morning. Absolutely loved it and my fear of helmet hair was ill founded! Uphill on the way home but still only took 30 mins. Already looking forward to tomorrow. If any (in particular female!) commuters have any tips for creaseproof office wear or any other tips I’d love to hear them!

The trick from about 2:30 on here works well for me (however I'm male & it's just a trick to fold normal creasing clothes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFwLc88jrY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

First time up the Col du Galibier yesterday (from the Telegraphe side). What a climb - majestic in every way. The descent to the Col du Lautaret was something to behold.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2694099908

I only saw late yesterday that you were in Bourg De Oiseans, wes keeping an eye out this morning for you to say hello but I think ye were heading home.

We are hoping to head to the Galibier tomorrow from the Lauteret side, whether my legs will hold out to make it up remains to be seen, our first 2 days have been harder than I expected.

nilhg wrote: »
    I only saw late yesterday that you were in Bourg De Oiseans, wes keeping an eye out this morning for you to say hello but I think ye were heading home.
    Small world! We were there until about 11am before getting a taxi back to Lyon.
    nilhg wrote:
    ...We are hoping to head to the Galibier tomorrow from the Lauteret side, whether my legs will hold out to make it up remains to be seen, our first 2 days have been harder than I expected.
    Ah the easy side (so they say!). Fantastic climb - no bother to you.

(By the way, there's a great cyclist friendly restaurant at the junction on the summit of the Lauteret. Great food with generous portions and two lovely Dublin girls waitressing. It's a fantastic vantage point to see vehicles like ants crawling up the last few kms to the Galibier summit.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Made a detour on my way hone from work to call somewhere in Finglas so travelled from Grange Castle via canal > Nth Circular Rd > North Rd and back home to Leixlip via Ballycoolin & Clonee.
    Lovely evening, cool and dry.
    At one point as I was going around a roundabout along the Ballycoolin Rd I heard a screech of tyres not braking but very hard cornering. A 1995 Saab raced passed me quite close and undertook two other cars on the roundabout exit. I was in the process of (pointlessly) raising an arm when a squad car passed me with the blues on (no sound though). Felt very vulnerable - could I have been an easy solution to get the gardai to stop? Thankfully not today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

44km done just under 28kmph average, cold one out so plenty of layers
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2696374129

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Just finished cycling the entire perimeter of Inis Mór with Mr Lemon.

Now sitting down to some well deserved pints. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

70km this morning out west - very breezy...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2707238178

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did the Tony Golden memorial cycle today.
    Blackrock, Castlebellinham, Knockbridge, Hackballcross, Dundalk, Carlingford, Omeath, Long way up to Long Woman's Grave, Bush, Dundalk, Blackrock.
    115kms at average speed of 36KPH.(we were told beforehand, that it wasn't a race. I was delighted to hear that.)
    Really well organised. Well marshalled. Lots of Gardai at junctions. Good food and great goodie bag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

36km/h. That's some pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Missing the Reservoir Dog tomorrow due to work so snuck out today. Ballyboden, Enniskerry, Old long Hill, back roads to Rathdrum direction and home via Laragh and the Sally gap, 101k with 1.5k of up but struggled to keep any pace. Glorious sunshine on tiny l-roads from Red Lane to Ballymoney though sore after some unpaved bits with straggly briars and nettles. Heavy enough cross winds by L.Brae made for an unnerving descent but still pretty close to a perfect day to be in the hills on a bike.

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Just finished cycling the entire perimeter of Inis Mór with Mr Lemon.

Now sitting down to some well deserved pints. :)

The tastiest pints by a country mile are always the well deserved pints. Makes any previous effort well worthwhile. :)

36km/h. That's some pace.

I'm only fit for the fit for nothing chair.
    Wrecked.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ... at average speed of 36KPH...
    Sweet Jesus! Only for the Long Woman's Grave, you'd probably have averaged 38. :)

Sweet Jesus! Only for the Long Woman's Grave, you'd probably have averaged 38. :)

I, with 3 others, was dropped at The Bush, on the way back to Dundalk. If I'd been able to hang in with the leading group, I'd have averaged over 37kph. That was the ave. of the lead group, which numbered about 20.
    The four of us finished about 7 minutes behind lead group.

Tour de Beara for my first ever proper Sportive. 160k @ 28.5. Very tough course with climb after climb but felt good and strong and got my pacing and feeding strategy right after boinking on the ROK. Great experience for a novice and hopefully more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

No cycling for me today..marshalling in Gorey..Irish National vets championships on today. Clouded over now but still dry. M40 &M50

Also marshalled the M60 and A3 races in the afternoon, blessed with dry weather for all the races.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did 75km with the club yesterday and not long back from a 66km solo spin out to Sutton today.
    Wasn't fully prepared for the weather today thanks to the Met Eireann app which said no rain between 11 and 6.
    Had a moment coming to a roundabout in the Phoenix Park when I couldn't stop as my back wheel was twitching to break loose. The two cyclists already crossing the roundabout thankfully weren't in danger but I'm not sure if they knew what happened or just figured I was a thicko. Still no damage done thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well, better late than never but here goes.

Tl;dr 6 days in Asturias, Northern Spain. Heap of hills, Vuelta and missed not one single meal.

Five of us from the Clonard club flew into Santander last Wednesday the 4th. It was my 4th trip to that part of the country so I was being held responsible for success or failure of the expedition ;)
    I picked up the van for the bikes, the other lads hired a car and off we set to our guest house just outside Cangas de Onis, at the base of the famous Lagos de Covadonga climb. The first inkling of what lay ahead was a km @ close to 10% from the main road up to the lodgings.
    Plenty of fun and games that evening assembling the bikes. A lost seat post wedge, di2 problems and a tangled internally routed brake cable left a few heads being scratched but we got all sorted and set for the morning.

Day 1- Covadonga and Sotres. First climb of the day, straight out the door and within 2km we were climbing. Covadonga is a great climb. A hell of a tough climb with the main body of the climb being approximately 9km@9% followed by a few descents and some more climbing before rounding the lake and hitting the café for the first of many coffee stops. Then an absolute ripper of a descent. Fast but technical, a great buzz. Typically for Irish lads away, we passed a bunch of cyclists from Edenderry on the way up as we were descending.... Ya can't go anywhere....
    Then 30km over the road to Arenas for the Sotres climb. On the profile there's a minor bump between the 2 but the reality is closer to the Wicklow gap than a motorway flyover, about 6km @5%. Naturally we couldn't go up our second HC climb of the day after that without having another stop so we had another coffee and some a light dinner. And a glass of wine. And cake.
    Sotres is a very different animal to Covadonga. The road up is breathtaking, sheer canyon walls towering close to a thousand foot straight up over head. The road ramps up to 10% and above for the first 4km before the canyon opens out to a lush, beautiful valley for a couple of km. That's lulling you into a false sense of security because a km from the village it goes around a switchback and then bloodies your nose with sustained ramps of between 15 and 20%. We regrouped in the village and decided that an ice-cream was in order before hurtling back down and back the way we came. Of course the small matter of the "bump" in the road had to be climbed again on the way back. And then the little kicker up to the house. Finished the day with about 130km, 3400m climbed. https://www.strava.com/activities/2682518209

Day 2- Alto del Torno and Mirador del Fito
    The lesson to be learned from the second day was not to trust technology. We looked at a slightly easier route as a couple of the lads were slightly traumatised from the previous day. They had thought they were on "holiday" but found out they were on a "cycling trip". First up was Del Torno. Now strava says it's 14km @3% and that's what we took it at but after a few km there's a sharp drop before the climbing starts again and this time it's closer to 10%than 3. That's followed by a fantastic descent through a narrow valley and again another couple km close to the now very familiar 10%. Eventually we crested and regrouped atop a glorious pass with views all across the Picos Europa behind us and a sweeping valley down to the Cantabrian sea and bay of Biscay in front. This is a very underrated climb, rarely used in the Vuelta and unheard of outside the area but anyone who visits the area should really think of checking it out.
    We dropped quickly down to the coast and rolled into Ribadasella where 5 large portions of Tortilla, teas, coffees and cake was enjoyed by all. Then Google maps was called into play "sure how lost can we get?"
    Well, lost enough. Using Google maps on "bike" settings sends you down some very narrow roads. "Keep the sea on our right, we'll be grand...." Hmmm. We were on the Camino, pilgrims meandering west and us amongst them. Then a moment of near death clarity. As we rounded a corner the road pitched downward steeply and became a pair of concrete wheel tracks either side of a cobbled path with walls either side. Clipping the edge of the cobbles while swerving to avoid a pothole sent me into a speed wobble at about 30 kmh and I proceeded to take both sides of the road with me while trying to slow down. I couldn't jam on as I'd have locked up and ended up bouncing off the cobbles. One crash per season is enough for me, so all I could do was hang on for dear life and gradually slow myself down with a stream of fúks. When we got to the bottom of the hill we were guided down a sand road at which point I said "Get us the f... off this track and back to the main road". We rolled on over to Llastres and demolished a load of pizza and some more coffee. Then more Di2 problems meant a few delays before we finally started the climb up Mirador Del Fito. That was a tough climb in late afternoon sunshine. Its a fairly relentless 8-10% for 8km but a fantastic view at the top. We needed a beverage. Then a lovely fast descent down to Arriondas. Finished the "easier" day on the road with 110km and 2350m climbed. 5 and a half hours moving time, 9 and a half hours out of the house. https://www.strava.com/activities/2685241719

Day 3- Cassielles and the Vuelta.
    Cassielles is a gem. We cycled about 30km up the Beyos Gorge to the start of the climb. 23 hairpins in 2.7km @nearly 13%average gradient. Just over a hundred metres between each hairpin so you can hit each section and break it down in your head. The views, like so much of the area, really have to be seen. You can take all the photos you like but they never do justice. I couldn't really take too many pics anyway as my camera on the phone was banjaxed. It's also hard to convey the steepness of some of the climb accurately unless you have a masochistic streak that regularly takes you to places like Kilmashogue or Truskmore. At one point near the top a pig with one lame leg jumped out of the bushes and sprinted past me as I fought with gravity to keep my back wheel from slipping and my front wheel from lifting.
    The descent was tough because unlike most of the roads over here, Cassielles had a rough, gravelly surface with lots of loose chippings for about half of its length.
    A descent like that needs refreshments afterwards. There was a small bar right in the middle of the canyon. I went in and ordered with my basic espanol. Got myself a bocadillo made from the hardest bread and driest ham I've ever eaten. My buddies tried to order and were given the choice of ham or cheese. Not both.
    After several attempts at getting a ham AND cheese bocadillo, the owner just shrugged, stared them out of it, said No and handed out the ham ones. In places like this you take what you have been given.
    Chastened and refuelled, we set off at speed down the Desfiladero Los Beyos and never stopped till we reached the coast almost 50 km away in Ribadasella where we caught the Vuelta going through. I managed to out-manouver several locals to grab Philipe Gilbert's bottle as he chucked it so that was a nice souvenir for the day. We also managed to get some ice cream into us before we got home with 115km on the clock and 1650m climbed. https://www.strava.com/activities/2687636141

Day 4- Angliru
    There's not much to be said about the Angliru that hasn't been said already. It's a brutal beast of a climb, no question about it. Now I've been here before. Twice, and in all reality it's probably more than enough to do it once but I just like to keep coming back. Something just keeps calling me back. What's rarely mentioned in all the talk of how tough it is, is that it's such a beautiful climb if you can get a moment between breaths to look around. We drove over to the village at the base, Riosa, and just went for it from the start. The first few km are very doable so you treat them as the warm up. From km 6 to 8 it's a whole lot tougher, ramps up to 21% and a good long stretch between 12 and 15. Then at 9km all hell breaks loose and you get the living sh¡t kicked out of you with a km @17.5%, maximum of 23.5%. Even when you get around that, it never drops below 13 to the top with 2 more nasty sections hitting 18 and 21% before dropping briefly to a car park. No café, no photographers, just cowbells and prone cyclists gasping and asking themselves WTF have they just done that for.
    My only goal was to make it up without stopping so I took it really easy. I never let my hr much above 150 and climbed it easier than ever before. I could see a mate struggling on the steepest section above me, weaving over and back. Then I saw another mate behind me in similar fashion. Nice and easy I reached the top of the steepest section and then without warning my front wheel lifted, I skidded sideways and put my foot down to stop myself falling over.
    I nearly fcked the bike off the mountain, then briefly considered going down to start again before just accepting defeat and clipping in to finish it off. With my temper up I actually put in some effort and set a pr on the next segment. However, failure is failure, so the only thing I can do is to come back again and right the wrong :D
    My mates have no such desire.

We had a hell of a reality check on the descent. After 3km fighting the slope and shoulders and wrists beginning to ache, we pulled over for a couple of pics on the steepest hairpin. As we watched a cattle truck barely make it up, belching smoke and burning clutch, a shot rang out. One of the guys rear tubes exploded from the heat of the rim and blew the tyre right off the wheel. If we'd passed that corner, someone would have been on a trip to the hospital.
    We needed coffee and Tortilla to settle our nerves and so we continued back to the start and refuelled.
    After that we climbed El Cordal. It's one of the most used climbs in the Vuelta and well worth giving a shot. We got to the top then turned off onto the Cuchu Puercu. That was the most potholed road I've ever seen in 43 years, many of which spent in the bogs of the Sligo/Mayo border. It was however a road with great character and some lovely views and it linked us nicely over to the Corbetoria, another perennial climb of the Vuelta. We had intended on climbing the Gamoniteiro but at 6pm and about 2 hours of daylight left, 8km@10% was a stretch too far so we went down the Corbetoria to Pola de Lena before climbing El Cordal from the other side and returning to the car. The descent off Corbetoria was insanely fast. It's a wide, smooth, sweeping road with only a few tight bends and an average of -9%over the 7km we were on. After the blowout earlier we were all a little bit cautious but still had no problem hitting 70kmh in places. The following day the Vuelta descended it hitting 100. Pro's we are not. We finished the day with a meagre 62km but 2550m climbed (2000m inside the first 40!!)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2691591763

Day 5- La Cubilla and La Vuelta Espana
    This was the one for me. My bucket list. For years I've wanted to be on the side of a mountain, in the middle of the crowd, roaring on the cyclists as they went by.
    The Vuelta is my race. I love the unpredictability, the savage gradients, the real passion of the crowds. I'm a Vuelta geek. I read Spanish forums about obscure climbs in remote outposts. Climbs that all the locals have been crying out for years to have included in the Vuelta. There are 2 that stand out from the crowd far more than any others. One is the Gamoniteiro, the spanish Ventoux, that we abandoned climbing the previous day. The other is La Cubilla. I'd climbed it on 2 previous trips, loving it. It's a long, alpine type climb with majestic views for miles back down the valley. 28km@ 4.5%, with the top 18@6.5.
    Needless to say I had to be there for it's first foray.
    We parked up in Pola de Lena, had a quick coffee and headed up with a couple of bread rolls, biscuits, bananas and chocolate in a backpack. There were droves of cyclist and walkers on the road. Campervans by the dozen parked on the lower stretches. As we got near the top the crowds thickened and around the 4km mark there were a couple of hundred fans piled onto the road roadside at a big hairpin with the best view of the valley below. They cheered every cyclist that passed, slapping the hoardings and roaring encouragement before erupting into laughter. We continued up and the fog came down to meet us. We got to the flamme rouge where we were turned back by security and we returned to the 4km mark. Then the movistar van arrived with music blaring and parked beside us adding to the party vibe. Plenty of bottles were thrown to the crowds, plastic hands and musettes too.
    Then the helicopters appeared and shortly afterwards, the cyclists. We could see the break happening as Brambilla and Fulsgang took off. As they got near us the noise got up and we all shouted and roared them on. One by one they passed, even the slowest was moving at a fair pace. Sam Bennett looked like he was dying, seriously suffering. The biggest cheers of the day were for Angel Madrazo who was still fighting to keep his KOM Jersey and Roger Kluge who took the p¡ss and cycled up through the crowd, laughing and swinging his hands as if walking.
    Then we heard the result from the radio and a short while later the Guardia Civil allowed us to descend the way we came. The pros had to come back the same way so we pulled over when we heard their whistles until we got to a nice steady open section and then we hung on to a few of them for a couple of km back to their busses.
    Finished up with just over 72km and 1600m and one of my favourite days out on the bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2694289908

Day 6
    The rain hit, and it hit in biblical portions. So we did no cycling but ate 2 lunches and 2 dinners. Found a great cake shop too so ate some cake as well.
    And that was that.
    Came home with sore quads, 2 extra kilos and some great memories.
    Asturias, I'll be back.

Epic stuff daroxtar, great write up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Peter Mc Verry on Saturday, 147km @26kmph. Very manageable and was well within myself
    https://strava.app.link/HYukrylV0Z

Reservoir Pup on Sunday 65km @26.5kmph
    Pushed at the start to see how I felt and everything working well, ended up on my own after the first climb and came in first
    https://strava.app.link/xGjk22yV0Z

A good weekend overall and nice to be feeling good again after a bad back injury earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nothing so inspiring as Daroxtar or even Borderfox... left the house dead late on Saturday with Mrs B, and parked at the Beehive (a great start point - easy motorway access from Dublin, a car park and pub, and good roads all about). Spun into Wicklow, took the new road to Rathnew (I grew up in Wicklow, and this is all new new new to me). Up to Ashford, and then wander up Killiskey to Roundwood (the easiest way from low Wicklow to High Wicklow, I reckon). Coffee etc and then down to Moneystown (lovely quiet roads, really countryside), then a right at Garryduff and over the hill before dropping down to Laragh. Great descent. The rolly-poley road to Rathdrum, then, and back to the Beehive via Deputy's pass. Not a massive climbing day (800m?), but very pleasant indeed.

Sunday, of course, the rain came. Having committed, I turned up in Dundrum (already wet), and we went off to Old Bawn, the Artillery Range (a million high-speed Reservoir Dogs tearing down the hills towards us in the slick nastiness), up to the Gap (hey, the rain stopped!), over Guinness's Gates (going to have to rename the place, now that Luggala is sold), and back to Enniskerry via Ballinastoe. Rain started again as we got to Enniskerry, and kept up all afternoon. Plans for a third cycle of the weekend got replaced by the horrors of Ikea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did the Tour de beara or Bear tour or whatever the feck they are calling the rebel tour these days 😠did the 160 after couple of months of short spins, went ok

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Out for a quick solo spin before work this mid morning. Perfect day for it, sunny but cool and not a breath of wind. Tallaght out to Enniskerry & Bray and home via the N11. 60km @ 30.4kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Quick 40km this afternoon as I spent all morning gaffing in the house.
    Lovely day for it but Strava won’t play at the moment to upload

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Very bad to be honest. Bought a second hand bike the chain has come off three times, it's stalled once, the latest is that whilst in second gear it is automatically derailing down to first.

I've been back to the bike shop so many times, each time they've 'fixed' it. I don't know whether to take it to another bike shop which I know is highly rated and pay someone to look at it or give this bike back get the 165 back minus 10 percent and buy a new bike? I'm pissed off with the whole process by now especially with one of the guys in the shop who keeps telling me it's my fault and I'm not cycling correctly. Pain in the arse all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Very bad to be honest. Bought a second hand bike the chain has come off three times, it's stalled once, the latest is that whilst in second gear it is automatically derailing down to first.

I've been back to the bike shop so many times, each time they've 'fixed' it. I don't know whether to take it to another bike shop which I know is highly rated and pay someone to look at it or give this bike back get the 165 back minus 10 percent and buy a new bike? I'm pissed off with the whole process by now especially with one of the guys in the shop who keeps telling me it's my fault and I'm not cycling correctly. Pain in the arse all round.

Perhaps get another bike shop to check the gear set-up, and diagnose whether it’s damaged/worn out, or just misadjusted/misaligned. If it’s all worn out, then give the bike back to the other shop, but if it can be adjusted to work properly and you like the rest of the bike, perhaps cut your losses and pay for it at the good shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement