Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encountering drivers without a valid insurance disc

Options
  • 02-09-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I noticed my neighbour's car insurance disc expired a number of months ago. Car isn't used much - and it's possible they have up to date insurance but for some reason haven't put a new disk up on the windscreen.

However, a few minutes later I was pulling into the shop and another car pulled in front of me and parked across three parking spaces. As I was walking past them I couldn't help but notice that their insurance disk expired in June.

I said nothing to either party, but I've been wondering afterwards if I possibly should have, or if as responsible citizens we should be reporting this type of thing?

I've only once ever reported another driver - and that's when I saw them slugging from a large bottle of vodka outside a supermarket before driving off.

I'd be interested in feedback. I'm sure I'll get labelled a busy-body by some but I'd be fairly annoyed if I got into an accident with a non-insured driver.

Comments

Yeah you’d be a busybody alright.

Keep your beak out, it doesn’t concern you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Only a shnake like the viper would snitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Has your neighbour 2 cars? Maybe he is using third party extension to drive the other car which could be in his partners name?

Same with the other car, could be covered under third party extension.

More than likely not but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

pinktoe wrote: »
    Has your neighbour 2 cars? Maybe he is using third party extension to drive the other car which could be in his partners name?

Same with the other car, could be covered under third party extension.

More than likely not but you never know.

No neighbour doesn't have another car.

How does the 3rd party extension work, doesn't every car need a valid tax and insurance disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

hardybuck wrote: »
    No neighbour doesn't have another car.

How does the 3rd party extension work, doesn't every car need a valid tax and insurance disc?

I think with Axa it doesn't need to be insured. I never used third party extension, myself and herself are named on each others policies and wouldn't be driving other cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Snitches get stiches

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Snitches get stiches

So the vodka one - you'd let that go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bet you watch what your neighbor does out the back garden on sunny days.
    Checking what he’s cooking aswell?
    Mind your business man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

What harm can it do OP, give them Garda boyo’s a bit of work, checking up the pulse system , calling out to the gaff, setting up a road block for tax and insurance in the area.... it’s not like their resources are already stretched.

I would say yes, report it, in saying that mine once went 2months out of date, due to failing the NCT and saving money for repair work, then gathering monies to pay the tax. (Money can be tight sometimes, my work is seasonal so I have 2 months of no income, don’t qualify for unemployment due to self employment status)

Bet you watch what your neighbor does out the back garden on sunny days.
    Checking what he’s cooking aswell?
    Mind your business man.

No need to be a dick.

There is a line, I'm not checking to see if the fecker has a TV licence, but this is a more serious issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement