Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion Journalism

Options
  • 21-08-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

After having recently wearily read through a number of articles in the Sunday Supplements on men's fashion-rare enough it's true; coverage of menswear is scanty compared to womenswear-I have come to the conclusion that fashion journalism on men is one of the most useless, pathetic and cliched fields of journalistic endeavour. This a list of the most common clichés that no article on men's fashion can do without. An article that doesn't use one of these is rare if not practically non-existent.

1. Classic..the worst offender
    2. Heritage
    3. Tradition
    4. Sharp/Relaxed (usually suiting)

5. Understated
    6. Muted/Played Down (usually colours)

7."no Fuss"

8. Laid back

9. "With a twist" ..often 'classics'

10.Timeless
    11.Functional

Anybody remember any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

- Fashion editor's favourite skirt, jumper, dress, shoe
    - all of the front row was wearing ...

They are two of the most annoying phrases and used in more than 70% of fashion articles in The Times.

I do find the predictions great fun though. Jacqeumus does a big bag and everyone claims small bags are out. Three months later Jaccqemus does a mini bag and same edition claims big bags are out. Everyone was supposed to wear flip flops because they were seen around Danish fashion week. It turned out to be summer of Birkenstock and Teva.

There are so many mini trends around that you can wear just about anything and be fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If you're talking about Irish publications then yes, I've never read anything beyond the most basic and cliched descriptions. That's because the vast majority of men in Ireland (or Irish men, whatever way around it is) have absolutely no interest in "fashion".

I'm talking about guys let's say 30+, who ironically can probably afford to start buying decent pieces and having suits tailored. And these are the same men that complain about having to wear a suit, but if they ever wore a suit that actually fitted them, they would love it and feel great.

Younger guys do tend to be more interested, but again it's fairly niche - look around any college campus and the majority of guys are in tracksuit bottoms and hoodies.

Anyway, I digress from the point. I remember reading the men's Irish Tatler and the fashion "tips" sounded like they were written by a student or someone who really didn't know who their audience was.

I would generally use online resources to read up on stuff, Style Forum, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I was about to say pretty much the same as EvilTimeBan, the print stuff is going to be based entirely on what people will read and not think is crazy. Most Irish men don't care too much about pushing the boat out in terms of fashion, so the safe bets are... well, safest. I don't bother with any level of Irish mens fashion or style journalism, I'll focus online for all of that.

Advertisement