Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART to Maynooth??

Options
  • 22-04-2003 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

http://www.luas.ie/downloads/DTOnetwork.pdf

This is the 'proposed' service. But I note that it has a DART line heading out to Maynooth. Has anybody heard about, or know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is actually one of the firmer and more implementable proposals and would probably be implemented in 2-3 phases.

1 City-Ashtown / Blanchardstown
    2 City-Leixlip
    3 City-Maynooth

The main "problem" is where to have a city terminus in the short term, possibly Spencer Dock (the suggestion is this could eventually link into a tunnel under the south city). Building platform 8 (at current turntable, but would need property acquisition) at Connolly might be another option or operating to Broadstone (subsequent connection problems).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just noticed the topic in recent posts.

Dunno if I'm sounding like a complete n00b, but I live in Maynooth and have taken (what i've always thought was the dart) train into the City and back many times.

or are you guys talking about something completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The DART is the electric train, what you've taken (and me many times aswell :)) is the Suburban Rail or Diesel train...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ah, cool

Originally posted by Slydice
    or are you guys talking about something completely different?
    Imagine a service every 10-20 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

They could get a DART-style 10 min frequency on the Maynooth line if they build a new station at Spencer Dock and terminate all services there. They are just spouting ****e again and hoping that people swallow it. They can get this service with a modifaction to the signalling software/hardware, new Station (spencer dock) and there you go.

This is CIE/IE management playing games again - throwing out phrases and promises and have not thought them through. They just want to look good and could do that by running railways instead of building office blocks and buying heavy lorries.

The DART to Maynooth is a fob - the current DMU system can give them all they want. They just want to get more moeny to blow it on stuff that's not needed.

One more thing, according to the SRR, IE want to tear down the DART equiptment all the way out to Bray and Greystones and return the line to diesel hauled trains. (yes this is what the SRR says in black and white) - You are dealing with a profoundly abnormal railway operator in this country. As soon as the new COO Dick Fearn arrives and we have a 'Night of the Long Knives' at CIE/IE senior management, we might see some progress.

Right now the major obstacle to people in Ireland geting the rail service we deserve is the muppets at the top - not the lack of lack of overhead catenery on the Maynooth or any other line. DART solutions are being held up as a cure all or as soon as anybody calls them to task becuse it's the only thing they did correct.

As for the credebility and wisdom of the DOT and RPA...take a look at the Connolly Ramp and M50 roundabout carry on and tel me we have co-ordinated transport planning in Ireland. Have you read the Platform for Change manifesto? It's quite silly really and contradicts itself from phases to phase.

I agree with Victor, Broadstone needs to be looked at again to see if it has any potential for heavy rail use. I think it does BTW. But I have only casually looked at the idea.

BTW - it is not that far from the City Centre - that was anonther one of their silly excuses to close it down. Look at a map, study a timetable, research and calculate population growth based on planning before anybody ever listens to a word that comes out of the mouth of a CIE/IE manager in realition to altering or shutting down a service.

BTW has anybody notice that the massive office black at Tara Street has a wee train station attached almost as an afterthought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Latest in the Midlands is that IE are planning to reopen the sheds in Mullingar to base Arrow's for expanded commuter service to Connolly. Much of the new rolling stock due over the next few years from Spain is due to be used on the Sligo line, to replace the current cattle wagons.

As for the DART to Maynooth, I'd imagine this was another one of IE's pie in the sky ideas from a few years ago when new rail maps for Dublin were being issued on an almost monthly basis.

>Latest in the Midlands is that IE are planning to reopen the sheds in Mullingar to base
    >Arrow's for expanded commuter service to Connolly. Much of the new rolling stock due
    >over the next few years from Spain is due to be used on the Sligo line, to replace the
    >current cattle wagons.

Do you have a source for this? Usually IE just spout ****e that means nothing, but the Sligo line will need railcar storage facilities and servicing alright and Mulligar would be the ideal spot. So there might be some truth to it and they have tons of space on the Athlone side of the station. There is also talk of re-opening the Moate brach and running the Galway service via Mullingar. But you don’t know what to believe half the time.

>As for the DART to Maynooth, I'd imagine this was another one of IE's pie in the sky ideas
    >from a few years ago when new rail maps for Dublin were being issued on an almost
    >monthly basis.

Indeed

I attended a Dublin City Council meeting yesterday, designed to brief transport organisations on the new Draft Development plan (2005-2011). The IE guys seemed optimistic in the short term of reallocating platform space at Connolly to improve Maynooth line services.

• Advertisement

Translation: they have been found out and are trying to cover their asses. This should have been done years ago - it took people shouting and screaming to get IE management to actually apply logic.

They should not be running railways in this country.

platform allocation at Connolly is joke anyway:

http://www.platform11.org/rushhour.html

Sligoliner,

Most of the info appeared in the local Westmeath papers over the last few weeks. The new railcars are definite and will be in service before the end of the year, while the storage at Mullingar is a possibility. The old sheds on the Athlone line are currently used for restoring old rolling stock for steam trains, though on a very minor scale, but there is a huge amount of IE owned land in the area.

The Mullingar-Athlone line is reported to cost €147m to reopen. It would require the replacement of all the old wooden sleepers, refurbishment of a number of stations and the replacement of most of the road crossings(big problem in Athlone). Another problem is that the line does not terminate in the current Athlone station. It terminates in the old station, on the Connaught side of the Shannon.

Cheers Occidental

Yes Mulligar has much untapped potential. The costing for the Athlone-Mullingar branch, like all the SRR costing are wildly inflated. Their is now some ideas being thown around of building a new western station at Athlone to serve the newer part of the town and with the NSS in mind. It would be a Park and Ride facility and would serve all trains - so this would solve the Mulligar issue. It makes a lot of sense when you think about.

On the subject of overblown costings. The restoration of passenger services between Navan and Drogheada was put at an incredible €117 million. The line is used every day and signalled and is ready to go. This over-blown method has been used for years. When IE announced the cost of Monistervan station reconstruction they included the price of a railcar just to try make the project look massivly expensive.

The SRR was a turkey that seved nobody in this country other than IE management. Much of the €8.5 they wanted for a few extra trains in the evening (which is the most the SRR really offered) can be done just by altering the exsisting timtable and allowing passengers to use trains that travel across Ireland empty:

see:
    http://www.platform11.org/ghosttrains.html
    http://www.platform11.org/prp1i.html
    http://www.platform11.org/prp.html

Sorry, forgot to say that platform extensions will commence this summer at Kilcock and Enfield to allow expanded service and use of new rolling stock.

They should also reopen Killucan for passenger traffic. It has a large hinterland population - many of whom work in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

where is Killucan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Sligoliner, what's you agenda here. Are you an alternative contracter or something?

Have you contacted politicians etc... about this too?

- Kevin

bitching on behalf of rail transport users and general commuter chit chat - nowt else. What's your P - other than saying feck all and sufferning from paranioa?

sligoliner, from both a personal point of view and as moderator, I feel you are posting a bit too much rhetoric and not enough content. This board isn't for your exlusive use to publish / link your statements.

• Advertisement

fair enough, I'll shag off then.

Originally posted by sligoliner
    fair enough, I'll shag off then.
    No need, just chill a bit.

Engagement, not confrontation.

Killucan is about 5 or 6 miles East/North East of Mullingar. The old platforms still exist, but much of the old station has collapsed. Locals have campaigned for years to get it reopened. IE have made encouraging noises, but have yet to extract their hand from their pocket. Would make good sense to reopen and as Sligoliner says it would save lots of people a drive to Dublin, or the next nearset station.

Advertisement