Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Cork most comfortable Bus Service

Options
  • 06-11-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

There are many options between Dublin and Cork

Aircoach
    GoBus
    BE X8
    Dublin Coach

Which one usually has the better equipment on the road in terms of seats?

I'm 187 cm tall and found that the GoBus is just not offering enough space.

Anybody an opinion please?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Either GoBE (GoBus) or Aircoach. They both take about the same, 3 hours.

Dublin Coach goes by Waterford so takes more then 4 hours. It is more of a Waterford - Dublin or Waterford - Cork service.

BE X8 is a stopping service so takes more then 4 hours too.

GoBE and Aircoach are both very good and have their pros and cons. Some of the Aircoach seats are tight, but there are also a few rows that have tons of leg room, so if you can be first on the bus, you will have oceans of leg room in one of those rows (wheelchair row, emergency exit row). On average, the GoBE coaches leg room is more consistent throughout the bus, with on average more legroom then the average Aircoach, but no really big rows like on the Aircoach. If going GoBE, aim for the first few rows, they have more headroom then the back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I wouldn't even consider the X8 or Dublin Coach because they're so much slower than the others that it's not worth it.

GoBe is variable since they are still using quite an array of vehicles although not so many as they used to, so it's hard to tell, some will be better than others.

Aircoach is fine, but their current coaches on that route are not as comfortable or spacious as the ones that used to be on that route that are now on the Belfast route. There's a couple of rows with oceans of room.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    GoBe is variable since they are still using quite an array of vehicles although not so many as they used to, so it's hard to tell, some will be better than others.

While they are mixed in terms of age and maintenance, they all seem to be Volvo 9700's of different age, with the same seating and legroom IME.

I agree that the Aircoach has 3 or 4 rows with tons of space, if you can get on that coach first at grab one of those seats then you will be very happy.

bk wrote: »
    While they are mixed in terms of age and maintenance, they all seem to be Volvo 9700's of different age, with the same seating and legroom IME.

I've seen four or five in the last week that were non Volvo 9700s, mostly during the middle of the day and the extras on a Friday and Sunday.

Certainly though there is less variety and more consistency than before and more are 9700s than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I am 180cms and took aircoach from Dublin airport to Cork a while back and it was miserable. Unless you can get the seat with the table or maybe the middle seat on back row you will be squished.

Getting from Dublin Airport to Cork is a right pain.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am 180cms and took aircoach from Dublin airport to Cork a while back and it was miserable. Unless you can get the seat with the table or maybe the middle seat on back row you will be squished.

Must have been an extra/relief/hired-in coach then as Aircoach don't have any vehicles with tables.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dublin Coach is an awful service to deal with, can't comment on the others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Thank you all for your advise.

I tried the Aircoach on Sunday evening and it was full to the last seat. I was lucky enough to be passenger 1 and got the emergency exit row, but I tried a couple of other rows between the airport and downtown to see how they were and they are very tight as mentioned.

I will try it again tomorrow on the way back, let's see how that works. So far GOBE seams to be the better one if you can only get a standard seat.

Advertisement