Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain these leapcard charges to me

Options
  • 24-06-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭

so i finally succumbed and purchased a leap card for the occasional days that i take public transport into work. This morning i took the DART to Pearse St and then a luas from Stephens green to Sandyford. So if i look at the charges on my card for today i can see:

Irish Rail -€4.90
    Irish Rail +€2.81

so i paid €2.09 for my trip on the dart. A decent saving on the cash fare. so far so good. for the LUAS portion it shows:

LUAS -€1.45
    LUAS +€0.32

Did i really only pay €1.13 for my LUAS trip? that seems too cheap. the cash fare is €2.70.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If you get a second fare within 90 minutes then €1 is taken off the second fare. That probably explains it.

Link: https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you get a second fare within 90 minutes then €1 is taken off the second fare. That probably explains it.

Link: https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90

Feck, you're right. thats a seriously big saving on what it normally costs me with a cash fare. They should really publicise it me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Feck, you're right. thats a seriously big saving on what it normally costs me with a cash fare. They should really publicise it me

They did when it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hopefully,YOU will now publicise it to your friends and family too :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

so i finally succumbed and purchased a leap card

You didn't purchase a leap card. You invested in a leap card.

I have to say the marketing people behind leap have been awful at times. Wrong information given at times. Don't forget to tag off posters on Dublin bus that meant people were being double charged.

The online top up system that was effectively pointless and people weren't clearly told they still had to go somewhere to charge the card.

The exellent new Android app that can top up the card if your caught short ot very little fanfare or push behind it.

And then today I was in a shop in city centre and there were leap card brochures at the till....... it's a leap to hassle free travel...... I see what they are trying but that language doesn't work for me. A leap isn't easy, simple, effortless. It looks and feels wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

liger wrote: »
    The exellent new Android app that can top up the card if your caught short ot very little fanfare or push behind it.

it is very handy, but it only works on Android phones with NFC, and is not available for Apple or Windows phones. They may be reluctant to publicise that the app is unavailable for most users, it would just annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

liger wrote: »
    You didn't purchase a leap card. You invested in a leap card.

I have to say the marketing people behind leap have been awful at times. Wrong information given at times. Don't forget to tag off posters on Dublin bus that meant people were being double charged.

The online top up system that was effectively pointless and people weren't clearly told they still had to go somewhere to charge the card.

And then today I was in a shop in city centre and there were leap card brochures at the till....... it's a leap to hassle free travel...... I see what they are trying but that language doesn't work for me. A leap isn't easy, simple, effortless. It looks and feels wrong.

I haven't seen a single person trying to tag off when getting off a Dublin Bus, and I use multiple buses every day - let's not exaggerate this.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I haven't seen a single person trying to tag off when getting off a Dublin Bus, and I use multiple buses every day - let's not exaggerate this.

When the leap card was introduced a lot of buses had internal posters from leap say in. Leap, don't forget to tag off.

Also I am on a bus many hours a day 5-6 days a week and yes people still tag off and ask if they need to tag off on a regular basis.

Trying to explain which machine to use is a pain also.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it is very handy, but it only works on Android phones with NFC, and is not available for Apple or Windows phones. They may be reluctant to publicise that the app is unavailable for most users, it would just annoy people.

Apple won't let 3rd party apps access the NFC. Probably be another year before they do. They should get behind the app and when it is cross platform they won't have such a struggle to get people using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Why can't they add a feature to the app where you can just enter the Leap card number to topup rather than only having nfc as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

For the same reason that if you top up online you still need to go to a shop to complete the transaction. The chip on the card has to get updated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why can't they add a feature to the app where you can just enter the Leap card number to topup rather than only having nfc as an option?

You want to use the NFC app to do an online topup? It's primary purpose is to simplify topup options by taking away the need to go somewhere else to complete an online topup.

It doesn't get any easier than putting the card to the back of the phone, turning the dial to the amount you want and and confirming the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

You want to use the NFC app to do an online topup? It's primary purpose is to simplify topup options by taking away the need to go somewhere else to complete an online topup.

It doesn't get any easier than putting the card to the back of the phone, turning the dial to the amount you want and and confirming the transaction.

I do use the NFC app. All the time. I am simply asking why they can't add a feature for those without NFC enabled phones..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I do use the NFC app. All the time. I am simply asking why they can't add a feature for those without NFC enabled phones..

When you use your debit card in a shop, the terminal can connect all the way to your bank to make sure you have the funds.

When you use your leap card on a bus, there's no connection back to the issuer so the card itself holds the balance.

Since the balance is on the card, you need something to talk to the card to add the extra balance to it. This is done by the nfc chip on your phone, the Payzone terminal or the ticket machine at the train/tram stops.

The card physically needs to be charged. Otherwise topping up online would be able to send credit straight to the cards.

Advertisement