Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad day on the Enterprise 14/11/2017?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

07.35am Connolly to Belfast Enterprise failed. Replaced a very sad looking 4 car commuter service. Very unhappy customers, at least 20 min late.
    8am Belfast to Connolly developed issues, left 50 mins late. It eventually failed completely at Drogheda, customers transferred to alternative service >60 mins late
    10.35 Belfast to Connolly - replacement commuter train. The sad looking one from earlier!
    11.20 Connolly to Belfast - replacement commuter train.
    16.50 Connolly to Belfast delayed departure due to mechanical issues. 15 mins late. Issue with no information to delayed passengers, replacement short commuter train, with customers complaining of vomit (I kid u not!!!) and standing due to limited seats.
    20.05 Belfast to Connolly - replacement commuter train.
    Any ideas what went wrong? It looks like 2 full enterprise sets failed and no replacement set available to cover even 1 of the broken down ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It was worse yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DD sets are probally full of wheel flats. If I'm not mistaking the 07.35 should of been an ICR and not a DD and this was due to be in place until the New Year until track conditions improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DD sets are probally full of wheel flats. If I'm not mistaking the 07.35 should of been an ICR and not a DD and this was due to be in place until the New Year until track conditions improve.

DD set back on 07.35 since the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

when will the relevant powers that be get it into their heads, 2900s are short distance, high capacity suburban trains, not long distance intercity or regional trains.
    whatever about other routes this is ridiculous for the premium international service, who's users expect high standards for the fares they pay. not good enough.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

when will the relevant powers that be get it into their heads, 2900s are short distance, high capacity suburban trains, not long distance intercity or regional trains.
    whatever about other routes this is ridiculous for the premium international service, who's users expect high standards for the fares they pay. not good enough.
    Agreed. They're not even fitted with the correct safety equipment so they shouldn't be going cross border, full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is ridiculous. Is there not spare ICRs to cover this sort of crapology , take a 5 or 6 off the PTT routes and let them use the commuter stock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Is there not spare ICRs to cover this sort of crapology , take a 5 or 6 off the PTT routes and let them use the commuter stock

There can be but if a set fails last minute, making one appear in Connolly isn't possible. Normally there would be a spare 4 car hanging around but for whatever reason it wasn't available.
    GM228 wrote: »
    DD set back on 07.35 since the 8th.

Very early, it was January this year I think before it came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I regularly see ICR's with premium sections attached hanging out outside Heuston why could they not have prepped one of those, sent it through the tunnel to Connoly and used that?
    The NIR CAFs are not as bad but using our commuter sets for a 2.5 hour trip is ridiculous for Gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

agreed. that is what they should be doing but they won't.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I regularly see ICR's with premium sections attached hanging out outside Heuston why could they not have prepped one of those, sent it through the tunnel to Connoly and used that?

because they have to keep them for the suburbans out of there don't you know. dispite the fact they aren't suitable for them.

The NIR CAFs are not as bad but using our commuter sets for a 2.5 hour trip is ridiculous for Gods sake
    i have never been on the northern ireland sets but from looking at pics they aren't the most inviting either. agree with you though, using bargain basement suburban stock on a long distance service, especially a premium international service, just isn't good enough. been discussed a plenty as you know, and probably will be for a time to come.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Rashers72 wrote: »
    07.35am Connolly to Belfast Enterprise failed. Replaced a very sad looking 4 car commuter service. Very unhappy customers, at least 20 min late.
    8am Belfast to Connolly developed issues, left 50 mins late. It eventually failed completely at Drogheda, customers transferred to alternative service >60 mins late
    10.35 Belfast to Connolly - replacement commuter train. The sad looking one from earlier!
    11.20 Connolly to Belfast - replacement commuter train.
    16.50 Connolly to Belfast delayed departure due to mechanical issues. 15 mins late. Issue with no information to delayed passengers, replacement short commuter train, with customers complaining of vomit (I kid u not!!!) and standing due to limited seats.
    20.05 Belfast to Connolly - replacement commuter train.
    Any ideas what went wrong? It looks like 2 full enterprise sets failed and no replacement set available to cover even 1 of the broken down ones.

Door failure on the first one and problems with the van on the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

agreed. that is what they should be doing but they won't.

because they have to keep them for the suburbans out of there don't you know. dispite the fact they aren't suitable for them.

i have never been on the northern ireland sets but from looking at pics they aren't the most inviting either. agree with you though, using bargain basement suburban stock on a long distance service, especially a premium international service, just isn't good enough. been discussed a plenty as you know, and probably will be for a time to come.
    They probably don't have the spare ones but it might be an idea to have a backup ICR for Enterprise services at Connoly end, if they don't have the stock then they need to pressure the govt to buy them in the grand scheme of the budget rolling stock is not that expensive and its an investment.  An ICR stock with a premium section should be there as a backup considering how often the Enterprise seems to have these issues.
    If it breaks down in the north they can send one of their own

You're right the NI CAFs are not as bad as ours but compared to the Enterprise, esp the refurbished Enterprise, they're awful.  I remember coming back one time from Belfast, sick, very burned out looking forward to sleeping the journey willing to pay the upgrade fee for first class so I'd get some peace and quiet then this NI CAF rolls up with Dublin Connoly on the front and you could hear the collective groan among the passengers.  They use the same trains for the Derry line which is also 2 hours but most internal NI trips like Belfast-Bangor or Belfast-Lisburn are short enough that they are fine, its not fine for Dublin.  They had to put a cart on and the heater for the water had to be plugged in at the back of the train where the commuter side seats are, they did their best but it was terrible train to go across the island on.

Advertisement