Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar to Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 10-11-2017 4:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just landed a new job in grand canal dock so next move is to organise the best way to get to work and back each day.

Does anybody know what is the best mode of transport to take to get into the city (grand canal dock) from Mulingar or Kinnegad each day and how long it takes?

Excuse my ignorance, I am not terribly familair with Dublin being from the West and with Dublin house prices being crazy i'm forced down to Mullingar!

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You can find the train timetable here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/07_dublin_-sligo.pdf

Note that some of those trains go to Pearse, either change at Pearse or Connolly for onward connections to Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

if it is open to you, you could also drive to Hazelhatch and get train to GCD

the trains are generally less busy than Maynooth line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Riskymove wrote: »
    if it is open to you, you could also drive to Hazelhatch and get train to GCD

the trains are generally less busy than Maynooth line

Hi sorry, where is hazelhatch and GCD?

Hi sorry, where is hazelhatch and GCD?

Hazelhatch is just outside Celbridge and is on the Portlaoise/Kildare train line into Dublin. You could drive up M4 to Celbridge

GCD is Grand Canal Dock

Hazelhatch is just outside Celbridge and is on the Portlaoise/Kildare train line into Dublin. You could drive up M4 to Celbridge

GCD is Grand Canal Dock

oh wow, so the train goes from Celbridge to grand canal dock? that sounds like a really good option, thank you for that!

• Advertisement

oh wow, so the train goes from Celbridge to grand canal dock? that sounds like a really good option, thank you for that!

The trains only run in morning and evening rush hours (see timetable)

Some trains to GCD start in Newbridge

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16_dublin-portlaoise_valind_from_20112016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

If your driving from mullingar to Hazelhatch you may get stuck in traffic through Celbridge depending on time.
    Personally I think you'd be better off mullingar or Leixlip Louisa Bridge to Grand Canal Dock

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

If you’re driving from Mullingar to Celbridge you will get stuck in traffic possibly before or after Maynooth and you have the toll unless you go on the old road. Im not sure what parking is like in Celbridge either. I’d second the best option is train from Mullingar and switch to GCD from there. Plenty of parking in Mullingar as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

If your driving from mullingar to Hazelhatch you may get stuck in traffic through Celbridge depending on time.
    Personally I think you'd be better off mullingar or Leixlip Louisa Bridge to Grand Canal Dock
    What about still going to hazelhatch but not going via celbridge? OP could exit m4 at maynooth, drive south through straffan (where traffic is fairly free flowing), taking the left turn onto the L2008 after straffan, left again in ardclough to stay on the L2008 and then right onto The Lords Road which bring you more or less to the train station? Avoids celbridge completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hazelhatch and Celbridge station is here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/131997845#map=9/53.3223/-6.5236 To be hoenst, I think Mullingar or Leixlip stations are a better choice.
    kaltz wrote: »
    Im not sure what parking is like in Celbridge either.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/hazelhatch-and-celbridge
    Car Park Details
    Operator: NCPS
    Spaces: 400
    Operating Hours: 24hrs
    Disabled Parking: Yes
    Price: See Car Parking Charges http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/car-parking

Electric Car Charging Service: Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP, is the job close enough to walk to from Pearse station?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

OP, if you are getting the train then get it from Mullingar or not at all. No point in driving to a station on the Maynooth line or Heuston lines. GCD is less than 15m walk from Connolly and even 5 minutes from Pearse. You will pick up a fast connection from Connolly to either Pearse or even GCD if needed.

Victor wrote: »
    To be hoenst, I think Mullingar or Leixlip stations are a better choice.

One other factor is cost of train ticket

Hazelhatch would be within the commuter zone its €154 a month

Mullingar is €362 a month

One other factor is cost of train ticket

Hazelhatch would be within the commuter zone its €154 a month

Mullingar is €362 a month

Fuel, Tolls, Wear and Tear wont be long more less off setting the price.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    OP, is the job close enough to walk to from Pearse station?

Yes i think so, its on grand canal dock so only a few min from pearse i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Your best bet is the train from Enfield - shorter car journey and you'll rarely run into traffic. You could also travel to the next stop, Kilcock, which I think is on the Dublin Commuter line which means it's a lot cheaper for a yearly ticket.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Your best bet is the train from Enfield - shorter car journey and you'll rarely run into traffic. You could also travel to the next stop, Kilcock, which I think is on the Dublin Commuter line which means it's a lot cheaper for a yearly ticket.

and that goes into pearse?

and that goes into pearse?

06.40 and 07.14 go to Pearse in the mornings only as per timetable
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/07_dublin_-sligo.pdf

Advertisement