Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone remember the last of the dance halls in Ireland?

• 17-07-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭

What was it like at the time these were closing? Were people sad to see them go or well sick of it when they went? Did some stay open much longer than others?

I wonder if it will ever make a comeback because everything is cyclical and the generation growing up now have never seen them, even some of their parents never frequented them and therefore the concept would appear as entirely new to them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

By all accounts of ould lads i known that frequented them in the 50s.....there used all sorts of riding and shifting go on in fields areound em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

_blaaz wrote: »
    By all accounts of ould lads i known that frequented them in the 50s.....there used all sorts of riding and shifting go on in fields areound em

My grandparents tell me that never happened, pre-marital sex is an invention of the 90's apparently :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

What was it like at the time these were closing? Were people sad to see them go or well sick of it when they went? Did some stay open much longer than others?

I wonder if it will ever make a comeback because everything is cyclical and the generation growing up now have never seen them, even some of their parents never frequented them and therefore the concept would appear as entirely new to them

Before my time I'm afraid :)

However - a resurrection of sorts is possible given the amount of young wans listening to Nathan Carter and similar dross nowadays. Cant see it being a tea only/no alcohol and the parish priest supervising it, but ya never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's still a few extant and operational, Glenfarne for instance. The local one to me - demolished now - opened surprisingly late and last renewed its dance licence in 1989; may not have actually had a proper night for a year or two before then but they thought there might be one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yaguhu cloud

GarIT wrote: »
    My grandparents tell me that never happened, pre-marital sex is an invention of the 90's apparently :pac:

when did Gay Byrne come on the scene?

when did Gay Byrne come on the scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As for what killed them - the music stayed popular long after the halls started fading. "Roadhouse" pubs/motels/hotels with huge function rooms killed them, because they could sell drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yaguhu cloud

branie2 wrote: »

he's looking well for it

He sure is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don’t think the OP will be getting all that many posters with first hand memory of the dance halls as they were at their zenith in the 1950s, two decades before I was born (and I’m on the older cohort of posters here).

Nightclubs, on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

L1011 wrote: »
    As for what killed them - the music stayed popular long after the halls started fading. "Roadhouse" pubs/motels/hotels with huge function rooms killed them, because they could sell drink.

They used to sell drink. Any photos I've seen there was drink on the tables (not the mountain of glasses you'd see now). There was a bar in the local one. A relation of mine was the barman.
    I think they just didn't change with the times. Kids started to listen to hippy stuff or metal or prog rock or something and were just too "cool" for the auld showbands. Also more people were getting cars than ever before so could travel. They had more choice so the local dancehall couldn't compete with the big nightclubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

I saw The American Drifters in the Unyoke back in the day.

At the time I thought they were the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I danced in the Olympic Ballroom in the early 90s, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

L1011 wrote: »

Drink driving laws killed off most of those in turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Still around. They're called "clubs" now I believe, but essentially it's the same thing. Pre-post-marital shagging.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I don’t think the OP will be getting all that many posters with first hand memory of the dance halls as they were at their zenith in the 1950s, two decades before I was born (and I’m on the older cohort of posters here).

Oulwans and Oulfellas forum -->>>
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1480

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The Top Hat

Dun laoghaire/Monkstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... Pre-post-marital shagging.

Ha ha - brilliant phrase! and accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Top Hat

Dun laoghaire/Monkstown

Wasn't that a roller skating disco?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think they have been replaced by the local nightclub , disco .
    When the dance halls were big there was not strict enforcement of drink driving laws as there is now .
    People expect to have a drink when they go out now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Wasn't that a roller skating disco?

Not on live concert nights that’s for sure. People still went skating but it was usually on beer sweat and vomit

Advertisement