Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need 3 strikes laws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

For someone to have 3 convictions for hit and run and still be free to do it again is outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

100% behind this and whoever brings it in gets my vote ! Here are the problems. No political party will take it on, and it will be shot down here by posters who compare it to the U.S and tell you we must understand crime first !! I don't understand how people can't see how violent this country is becoming....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

3 strike laws are an awful idea.

Anything that removes jurisprudence means that there will be cruel and unusual cases of people getting disproportionate sentences. There are people in America who get life sentences for being caught with a joint.

Having said that, something needs to change.

troyzer wrote: »

Anything that removes jurisprudence means that there will be cruel and unusual cases of people getting disproportionate sentences. There are people in America who get life sentences for being caught with a joint.

Mandatory sentence for violent crimes then. Something has to change. We will have a society of victims soon maybe then something might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You're spouting BS.

3 strikes laws in the US must include at least 2 violent felonies, so the smoking a joint argument is pure rubbish.

Sentencing here needs to be taken away from judges. They should just be there to ensure a fair trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Three previous hit and runs. It was only matter of time before number 4, and he's only 37. At this rate he'll probably end of with 10 hit and runs on his record!

The US comparison... Quicker than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on what the three strikes are for. I'm generally against the idea but for serious crimes like this, yeah - no problem.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Three previous hit and runs. It was only matter of time before number 4, and he's only 37. At this rate he'll probably end of with 10 hit and runs on his record!

Different story if it was a family member of a judge...

Hal3000 wrote: »

His post was pure lies too.

• Advertisement

jurisprudence for 200 plus convictions ?

Hal3000 wrote: »

It's where three strike laws come from?

And no, they don't need to have two violent crimes. They just have to have two felonies which can include a college student dealing weed for example. Where it works, fine. But I wouldn't want to live in a society which dishes out massively disproportionate sentences as a consequence of also sending the right people to prison. It's too high a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And no, they don't need to have two violent crimes. They just have to have two felonies which can include a college student dealing weed for example. Where it works, fine. But I wouldn't want to live in a society which dishes out massively disproportionate sentences as a consequence of also sending the right people to prison. It's too high a price.

You've also got to consider the costs of having a much higher jail population, which will passed back on to people via taxes, which they will blame the government for even though it was ti implement THEIR chosen idea.

You've also got to consider the costs of having a much higher jail population, which will passed back on to people via taxes, which they will blame the government for even though it was ti implement THEIR chosen idea.

I think that's a secondary problem but not an insignificant one. There's an over crowding problem as it stands and nobody wants a prison built near them.

I think we all agree that you shouldn't get away with 200 convictions. But three strikes is too far in the other direction. Even the fact that it's three strikes is so arbitrary. It's just a baseball analogy. If baseball had four strikes then it would be a four strike rule.

I don't like arbitrary justice.

Doesn't that already happen ? If you don't pay a fine you'll be jailed but if you've 300 convictions you'll get off !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

3 strikes are enough.

1 free exposure then if you don't be a good boy or girl a second one removes any financial State assistance if applicable. If not applicable, a hefty fine. In both cases, mandatory 5000hrs community service.

3 strikes and yer out...or in as it were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

What about 18 months suspended for the lads who defiled the special needs girl. Funny how we call it "defilement" now to soften it up. It's rape, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Make it only for violent offences. America's system is idiotic because it doesn't differentiate between the type of offence covered. Three strikes and you're out for being a violent piece of sh!t seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A “three strikes” rule wouldn’t work unless with privatised the prisons, like with Direct Provision.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

a poster on a similar thread came up with the greatest solution i have heard to date. on multiple convictions, each one counts as a month added on to current. so 215 months for the guy in the op. that's 17 years before he gets punished for the current crime.

I would add, use them as hard labor to build another prison, social housing etc. none of the cushy crap.

• Advertisement

You're lying again.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-strikes_law&ved=2ahUKEwjAiNOejoDiAhW2SxUIHQD5DEAQFjAYegQIDxAI&usg=AOvVaw2g2rY_V8SAONxAh6_4rEM2

These laws require a person guilty of committing both a severe violent felony and two other previous convictions to serve a mandatory life sentence in prison.[5][6] The purpose of the laws is to drastically increase the punishment of those convicted of more than two serious crimes.[2]

soups05 wrote: »
    a poster on a similar thread came up with the greatest solution i have heard to date. on multiple convictions, each one counts as a month added on to current. so 215 months for the guy in the op. that's 17 years before he gets punished for the current crime.

I would add, use them as hard labor to build another prison, social housing etc. none of the cushy crap.

I suppose it depends on what you see the criminal justice system as being for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

300 strikes and you're in for good ..ha ha. Alot of serious crime Rape/murder committed by people who graduate up through less serious sexual assaults/violence. Build a f**k off big prison near Athlone and start getting serious . Also cuts in social welfare and have more community service. Take a leaf from Countries that are safer. This case is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You're lying again.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-strikes_law&ved=2ahUKEwjAiNOejoDiAhW2SxUIHQD5DEAQFjAYegQIDxAI&usg=AOvVaw2g2rY_V8SAONxAh6_4rEM2

These laws require a person guilty of committing both a severe violent felony and two other previous convictions to serve a mandatory life sentence in prison.[5][6] The purpose of the laws is to drastically increase the punishment of those convicted of more than two serious crimes.[2]

he's not lying, just confused. He's probably only familiar with California's implementation of three-strike laws which count misdemeanor offenses as well.

soups05 wrote: »

One month? Terrible idea. Make it six months per conviction and I'm on board. (But again, keep it for more serious crimes)

Shai wrote: »
    he's not lying, just confused. He's probably only familiar with California's implementation of three-strike laws which count misdemeanor offenses as well.

Nope. California is just the extreme end member.

Though most states will count any felony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People need to stop quoting crap they saw in american films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Go old school, throw them over the side of the boat off the shore of Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I suppose it depends on what you see the criminal justice system as being for.

For me, I see it as putting away the two scrotes who gave me a kicking back in jan 17. broke my jaw, left me in hospital for 4 days, nearly ruined my college efforts, wrecked my hands (i was using them to protect my head from the kicks) and the case has just come to court this week.

sentencing in July, can't wait but don't hold out much hope for a long stretch.

But at least I have the compensation to look forward to.......oh wait, that's right, there won't be any cos they are lifers on the dole.

yeah!!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

We'll never have a 3 strikes policy in this country, It would mean too many criminals behind bars and thus less income for Barristers, Solicitors, Judges and the other leeches in the legal and NGO industries.

So the ordinary law abiding tax-paying system has to suck it up and take the beatings. Progress I think they call it

Advertisement