Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Arthur Murphy

• 08-02-2019 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Mailbag legend Uncle Arthur sadly has left us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Sorry to hear that. Always enjoyed him. Was only thinking last week that I hadn't heard his mailbag slot on the Ray Darcy show for quite some time.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aw. He was brilliant I loved his dry humour. RIP Arthur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RIP, Arthur.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Poor Arthur. I used to love watching Mailbag back in the day.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It was a great show. Simple format and could be quite funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He managed to convey his amusement (even contempt) at the letterwriters with extreme subtlety. Which was all he could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Had 2 letters read out on Mailbag over the years.

RIP Arthur. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

R.I.P.

Good age.

A gent, much loved by TV watching folk, RIP & condolences to his family. .....two sons I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i loved mailbag , used to watch it with my grandfather. I loved Arthur murphy and his humour.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Ah poor Arthur RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Bye for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Loved his slots on air. Great guy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Aw no!

I loved Arthur on Mailbag, he was always so funny.:(

RIP, Arthur and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Aw. He was brilliant I loved his dry humour. RIP Arthur.

That's it exactly - the dry wit.

When he occasionally trespassed into sarcasm it was subtle, playful and warm.

The overall approach to complaints and queries was a blending of the respectful and whimsical. The show depended on and succeeded solely on Arthur's personality and charm.

This unusual RTE success arose from a serendipitous transfer of a BBC equivalent(with Anne Robinson).
    Similar to RTE's take on the BBC's The Rock 'n' Roll Years to Reeling in the Years the English show screened once, decent and immediately forgotten, the RTE version becomes their best ever hit and repeated ad nauseam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Similar to RTE's take on the BBC's The Rock 'n' Roll Years to Reeling in the Years the English show screened once, decent and immediately forgotten, the RTE version becomes their best ever hit and repeated ad nauseam.
    You need to watch Pop Goes Northern Ireland.

It's awful. Relentlessly depressing.

But there was nothing wrong with the way it was done.

It's a reminder of just how bad things were. It should be force fed to every Brexiteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

He was great fun on Today fm with Ray D. He’d never reveal his age no matter how much he was pestered to tell, all just a bit of craic. And now we know... Rest in peace Arthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He was great fun on Today fm with Ray D. He’d never reveal his age no matter how much he was pestered to tell, all just a bit of craic. And now we know... Rest in peace Arthur.

He also used to drop tantalising hints about the life he had lived. He was probably taking the piss but it wouldn't surprise me if he had led an interesting life.

Advertisement