Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Bos to give away all his money

• 27-03-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭

Tim Cook has announced that he intends to give his fortune away to charity when his kids are finished college

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102539600

Cook has a fortune estimated around 700 million Dollars

He is following the lead of others like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who have signed 'The Giving Pledge' to give away at least half of their fortunes
    http://givingpledge.org/

Of course this is all very laudible, and fair play to Tim Cook and others, but I can't help but wonder about the unintended consequences.

What happens when the liberal and progressive billionaires give away their wealth?

We are left with the evil ones. Monty Byrnes style, pulling the strings of politics and funding all kinds of 'think tanks' to influence economic and social policy for their own benefit.

The likes of
    Gina Rinehart, (heiress to a mining fortune and Ayn Randian nutcase)
    Harold Simmons (Heir to a mining fortune, wants to nuke Sydney harbour)
    Ivan Glasenberg (Vulture Capitalist)
    Dan Gertler (Blood diamonds)
    Viktor Bout (arms dealer)
    The Walton family (walmart, ultra conservatives)
    The Koch brothers (ecoterrorists and political puppetmasters)
    etc
    are not part of the giving pledge, and in fact are the opposite, their main goal in life is to accumulate more power, more wealth and more influence for themselves regardless of the consequences for other people

When the good billionaires spend their money helping others, who will be left except the evil ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

begging email sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just glad you found a negative.

PHEW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kneemos wrote: »
    Just glad you found a negative.

PHEW!

I feel it's my duty as a member of the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Akrasia wrote: »
    What happens when the liberal and progressive billionaires give away their wealth?

I'm puzzled as to why you think the situation would be improved by a handful of people hoarding mountains of money?

Money can only do either good or bad when it is spent - if it's just being stockpiled it may as well not exist.

I'm puzzled as to why you think the situation would be improved by a handful of people hoarding mountains of money?

Money can only do either good or bad when it is spent - if it's just being stockpiled it may as well not exist.

Nobody hoards money,particularly the rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Harold simmons is dead over a year so I don't think you have too much to worry about with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Apple Bos
    Microsoft Bos
    Microsoft Dos
    Illuminati Confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I think it would be more a shock him finding out from the OP that he has kids.

Good on him though giving it all away to further humanity, the less Monty Burns the super rich are the better for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cormac... wrote: »
    Apple Bos
    Microsoft Bos
    Microsoft Dos
    Illuminati Confirmed

"bosboot -a" (AIX) - that tears it, I'm outta here.

If you use your money to make more money (and by extention, gain more power and influence) it's different to using your money to help others

• Advertisement

Harold simmons is dead over a year so I don't think you have too much to worry about with him.

Thats what he wants you to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or so he'd have you think

Dead men pay no tax *taps nose*

mailforkev wrote: »
    Oops, my bad. Nephew not offspring..

If you use your money to make more money (and by extention, gain more power and influence) it's different to using your money to help others

By making more money you're creating work and employment and helping others also.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

I'll take some of his money. I think I'm needy enough to get some of it.

By making more money you're creating work and employment and helping others also.

Yeah, that's bullsh1t.

Trickle down theory has been comprehensively demolished

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/business/12scene.html?_r=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

mailforkev wrote: »

Good on him though giving it all away to further humanity, the less Monty Burns the super rich are the better for everyone.

Since when does a rich person have any obligation to the little people, bar paying a fair share of tax.? What business is it to the little people as to what a rich person does with his hard earned financial success?

Money is powa; what is the point of being rich if you can't treat politicians like play things, poodles, lap dogs? Why on earth you a wealthy person listen to the views or be dictated by the little people?

These "kind" donations are tax exercises, ensuring their money goes to things that they want to see it go to , and not on food stamps for some work shy redneck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Who is he Hotblack Desiato?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

He is following the lead of others like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who have signed 'The Giving Pledge' to give away at least half of their fortunes

no no, he was into giving away his fortune before it got popular

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

since the start of the recession the number of billionaires has doubled

by next year the richest 1% will own more than the rest of us

the richest 85 people already own more than the poorest half of humanity

three months income of the richest 100 people could end global poverty

Poverty kills more people globally than cancer, so calling the hyper-rich a cancer on society is probably unfair to cancer.

Rather than trickle down this financial crisis has seen a huge transfer of wealth to the hyper-rich. Had they shouldered the wheel with the same increases of tax that everyone here had with USC and stealth taxes like Bins and Water we could have ended global poverty and saved about 11 million lives a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If I were his son I'd be making moves on having him made a ward of court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If I were his son I'd be making moves on having him made a ward of court.

If he were my son and he went about that I'd have the little sh1t liquidised and put in his mother's breakfast smoothie.

Advertisement