Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clergy to bless the roads in effort to cut road deaths

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

If it heightens awareness of the issue, then there's nothing wrong with it. No need to be facetious.

There's no need to be facetious but it is funny. No need to take it so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

c_man wrote: »
    We need to follow this up with making Padre Pio relics mandatory in all cars.

Don't diss Padre Pio. My Mum had a red flashing warning light on her dashboard before the car went in for the NCT. She strategically superglued her Padre Pio in front of the light and hey presto, the wee car passed with flying colours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Now that the roads are being blessed, Is that holy water in dem potholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't diss Padre Pio. My Mum had a red flashing warning light on her dashboard before the car went in for the NCT. She strategically superglued her Padre Pio in front of the light and hey presto, the wee car passed with flying colours :)

Good god! Does anyone remember Joe Duffy embarrassing Damien Duff at the 2002 World Cup "homecoming" on stage talking about how is mother said he prayed to Padre Pio every night??:eek:

Play @ 4.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I admire their effort

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

I think it's a good thing!
    I mean I one of them gets knocked down while doing it we know for sure it's empty upstairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Eramen wrote: »
    Sounds like a rather lame caricature of what 'Christian' is than a genuine attempt of description to be fair.

As Meister Eckhart says 'The only representative of God on earth is the Soul.' The soul exists in the man, as the unrealised, ideal part of himself which as Eckhart says is God's actual presence on earth. God is not in the clouds or far away, he is right here, personified in the highest being of man.

Therefore if 'God is to act', then he must do so through us, to the extent that we are one with him. This is the whole concept of the Son of God, the embodiment of us in Christ, the transformative Eucharistic rite as we strive for God in the flesh, in the here and now.

A man is only ever the sum of his intentions, as to do/be/say something - to realise an act - he first must have the intent to do that thing in the first place. Therefore maybe now we can see how the ritual blessing or prayer might help transform the real world for the better. That is: it lays the foundational intention from a higher aspect for our future action. It directs our personal and group efforts and aims it squarely where they need to be exacted.

"Men attract not what they want, but what they are" - James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

People always reveal their true character by their intent, hence why I'm questioning the motivations of people here who are lambasting something that is in itself good and has positive effects. The blessing is simply highlighting what needs to be done as a society - and the very last thing that needs to be done is complaining about the blessing itself due to XYZ. Logic never was the forte of the AH even though many always seek to claim it for their own 'group'. You're free to 'liberate' yourselves from the constructive intentions of the rest of society if you like, but it's counter-productive in the long run.

I really wanted to thank this post Eramen, but then you had to go and close it with a pop at AH, which is my church, so no thank for you, but I understand your point all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

strobe wrote: »
    Even if you're Christian does this not seem a bit silly? Are we to assume, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, Yahweh is watching people dying on the roads and either indifferent to it or unwilling to intervene as it's all part of his great plan, but then a couple of priests are going to say a blessing and the ineffable, infallible, eternal, unchanging one is going to stop and think "hmm, good point lads, I was way off the mark on this one, I'll change things up completely now".

+1

This made me laugh, I must admit.

Yes, of course it's "harmless" to bless the roads as a means of raising awareness of the high level of fatalities on it, but you have to wonder what the heck the religious orders imagine will be the result of invoking the name of their God to watch over the roads? Is He supposed to suddenly wake up and realise that he has been extraordinarily cruel by allowing people to die like that, as a result of their own speeding? Is He supposed to interfere directly and change the laws of physics briefly during collisions?

But since He does not trouble himself to interfere in the plight of the starving children in the world I hardly imagine a sane God would decide to place the roads of Ireland's west region into the improbability drive and offer reduced odds of fatalities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The problem is not the church, it's more optics as another poster mentioned. You must admit that this would not look out of place in an episode of Father Ted.

No it wouldn't, but since when does that make it a bad thing?

You know as well as I do his is about people's views on the Church and the idea that nothing they do is ever good or useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep... lovely chap
    Canon Hanna, who is the rector of St Columba's Church in Ennis, previously made headlines after he issued a statement denying a character reference he wrote for former school principal Pat Barry was in defence of the notorious paedophile.

He was later criticised for giving another character reference for a woman convicted of stealing €27,000 from a nursing home.

On topic:

They should upskill these guys so when they are blessing the roads, they can at the same time fill some potholes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Just wait til he gets his water bill.

they'll need more water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

RomanKnows wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's harmless as you say. May even give some comfort to those who have lost friends or family due to traffic accidents.
    Won't stop some supposedly enlightened neckbeards from snorting at it with all the hubris and pride of a True Dawkinian. They are rarely as enlightened about the fact the same neckbeard is an enormous barrier to having sex with another adult human.

I think the neckbeards are currently on hunger strike over the imprisonment of Ched Evans. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭xrp

As a practicing Catholic (and someone who got my car blessed - discreetly, I might add), I would say that the clergy have much bigger things to be worrying about.

Leave the "road safety awareness" to Gay Byrne and the gang. They're bloody well paid for it.

If priests focused on saying Mass, hearing confession, teaching the young, visiting the sick, etc.; they wouldn't need to engage in publicity stunts like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Just because it won't do any harm doesn't mean it's not f**king retarded.

There are also plenty of things that raise awareness to rising road deaths. Again, doesn't mean they're not f**king retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭xrp

Just because it won't do any harm doesn't mean it's not f**king retarded.

There are also plenty of things that raise awareness to rising road deaths. Again, doesn't mean they're not f**king retarded.

What do you mean when you say the clergy are "f**king retarded"? Do you use "retard" in a medical sense? Or do you just hate all clergy? Have you ever had a chat with a priest as a fellow human?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

xrp wrote: »
    As a practicing Catholic (and someone who got my car blessed - discreetly, I might add), I would say that the clergy have much bigger things to be worrying about.

Leave the "road safety awareness" to Gay Byrne and the gang. They're bloody well paid for it.

If priests focused on saying Mass, hearing confession, teaching the young, visiting the sick, etc.; they wouldn't need to engage in publicity stunts like this.

Actually, I think blessing the roads is possibly just as effective, if even more so, than the sh*the the RSA spouts, so that's alright by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If it heightens awareness of the issue, then there's nothing wrong with it. No need to be facetious.
    Fairly harmless gesture really, even if it is a waste of time. The internet atheists in here really don't need to go into attack mode every time anything to do with religion is brought up.
    Ah yes, attack those who adhere to logic and reason, and who dare to criticise this absolute nonsense. Nah, let's all listen to Renata Wooden Fruit and pretend a priest blessing a road with water is not entirely ridiculous. Of course it may heighten awareness, but only because we are a Catholic nation; that doesn't take away from the fact that it is still laughable in the 21st century.
    xrp wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say the clergy are "f**king retarded"? Do you use "retard" in a medical sense? Or do you just hate all clergy? Have you ever had a chat with a priest as a fellow human?
    You could argue they are suffering from a mental disorder as a result of extreme indoctrination. But I'm sure they are content in their choices and are decent human beings, for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Will this make my Padre Pio sticker obsolete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

jelutong wrote: »

Yes but they are providing a service where you can upgrade to Jesus for a small fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jelutong wrote: »

Well, the St Anthony medal is providing 90% of the protection, so you should be grand. Just add another bottle of holy water to make up for any decrease in divine protection. You may want to get your rosary beads blessed again, just in case.
    You could upgrade to Next Gen Tech and go for angel figurines, incense and protective runes:

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/193943181/hagal-rune-vinyl-car-decal-pagan-wiccan?ref=market

il_570xN.618096352_a96i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭towelly

I got pulled over at a checkpoint for having no insurance, so I showed the guard the rosary beads hanging from the rear view mirror and he let me drive on.

Advertisement