Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clergy to bless the roads in effort to cut road deaths

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

THIS is not April 1st is it?? Cause I was under the impression it was March 23rd (2015).

People of a certain vintage might see this as a throwback to the 1950's or something.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/clergy-will-bless-irelands-roads-in-bid-to-end-carnage-31086199.html

Ever watch Father Ted and think actually it might not be that far from the truth?:pac:

If it draws attention to road safety then what's the problem.

Just because religion is involved doesn't mean there's some sinister ulterior motive involved or that it's all balderdash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

ScumLord wrote: »
    Seems like a typical response in Ireland, "there's too many deaths on the road, lets bless the road".

"shouldn't we look into the actual cause of all the accidents?"

"they're going too fast, tell them to slow down"

I think Irelands blanket assumption that going slow means you're going safe is a huge fallacy. I see people meandering along the roads at obscenely slow speeds, looking out the window at the fields beside them or entrenched in a face to face conversation with their passenger.

Proper driving instruction would be much more helpful. Better roads would be another improvement. Some of the country roads are downright dangerous they're so uneven and full of potholes. Whenever the council do work they seem to pay no heed to the fact if they don't repair the road properly it will sink. The roads around here have sunken squares all over them where they've dug up a small bit of road and just thrown some tar and chippings into the hole and patted it down with a shovel.

Going slow doesn't not counteract dangerous drivers, if anything it makes them more prone to mistakes because they seem to think they can do no wrong at 70kph.

I think you're right, a lot of people misunderstand what speed limits are for.
    They are not there to prevent accidents.
    They are there to try and make sure that when accidents happen, the effects will be as minimal as possible.

Take the potholes, as a simple example : You hit one doing 60kph, and it will give you a decent bump. You hit one at 100kph and it might dent your wheel, break your axle, what have you.
    That's why the narrower the road, the lower the spped limit tends to be lower (in sane places) - frontal crashes are more likely as people will not necessarily entirely stick to their side of the road, so to try and minimise the consequences the limits need to be lower than on wider roads where it'll be easier for the other driver to avoid a collision.

In short, dangerous drivers will drive dangerously, no matter the speed. They are just less likely to kill you at 50kph than they are at 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

No, but a regional road can get upgraded to motorway if it's blessed.

"Your Grace, will it still be a class 2 dual carriageway after they bless it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well OK, right, but in all seriousness - is there anything to be said for saying another mass??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If it draws attention to road safety then what's the problem.

The problem is not the church, it's more optics as another poster mentioned. You must admit that this would not look out of place in an episode of Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shenshen wrote: »
    Take the potholes, as a simple example : You hit one doing 60kph, and it will give you a decent bump. You hit one at 100kph and it might dent your wheel, break your axle, what have you.
    It's not as dangerous as you'd think in a modern front wheel drive car, I've hit a pothole and a rock from a collapsed stone wall at 100+. Both times it busted the wheel but the car was very controllable and it was easy to bring the car to a stop. The tyre and wheel took all the force. That's not to say you can go hitting potholes without a care, it could go wrong but it's more likely to just put you out the price of a wheel and tyre.

I've got a real bee in my bonnet about slow drivers. I think they cause bad driving behaviour as people try to make up lost time. I live in a small town and regularly I see a slow driver enter town with 10 or more cars in toe causing a mini traffic jam in the town while everyone has to wait for that presession to pass by. You just know that there's going to be a host of overtaking once they get to the other side of town. The people over taking will take extra risks to get ahead of the roadblock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Are we living in an episode of Father Ted, first we get "Careful Now" road signs, now we're blessing them. You couldn't make this sh1t up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I've got a real bee in my bonnet about slow drivers...

The one thing that makes me wish I had a couple of .50-cals fitted to the car is these people being "safe" by going down ramps and merging at 40mph. Gaaaaahhhh!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I've got a real bee in my bonnet about slow drivers. I think they cause bad driving behaviour as people try to make up lost time. I live in a small town and regularly I see a slow driver enter town with 10 or more cars in toe causing a mini traffic jam in the town while everyone has to wait for that presession to pass by. You just know that there's going to be a host of overtaking once they get to the other side of town. The people over taking will take extra risks to get ahead of the roadblock.

Oh, the "safe" drivers! Got their driving license out of a box of Rice Crispies, their glasses date back to the 80's, extra set of eyebrows on their cheeks, on 27 different kinds of tranquilizers and anti-depressants, believe that driving is their God-Given-Right and they are "Entitled To Be On The Road", drive everywhere at 60 km/h, no matter if it's a motorway, main road or town center, will keep out as far as possible to stop anyone overtaking them because they need to enforce the rules of the road as THEY see them, fond of pulling out 10 meters ahead of you as you approach at 100 km/h because in their opinion you're driving too fast (Yes, this has happened!) and will move out to drive you into the ditch if you do have the nerve to overtake them, then follow you flashing and beeping for several km.

Oh yes. Those are the RSA poster boys. Slow=safe and that's all there is to it!:rolleyes: They will all get a medal from Saint Gaybo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If a priests blessing is so ineffective, why did so many of ye get bothered to be married in a church?

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Adamantium wrote: »
    If a priests blessing is so ineffective, why did so many of ye get bothered to be married in a church?

Because church weddings are traditional and desirable. If there's one thing Catholics do well it's making churches, it's next to impossible to duplicate the effect they have outside of religion.

So it's not so much the blessing as the venue people want.

That's just from the non devout Catholic point of view, if you are a believer then there's obvious reasons for getting married in a church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Because Auntie Bridie will whinge if you don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

THIS is not April 1st is it?? Cause I was under the impression it was March 23rd (2015).

People of a certain vintage might see this as a throwback to the 1950's or something.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/clergy-will-bless-irelands-roads-in-bid-to-end-carnage-31086199.html

Ever watch Father Ted and think actually it might not be that far from the truth?:pac:

That in fact is what made Father Ted so funny, that allthough it might be an exaggeration - it is 100% TRUE! and so IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because she who is to be obeyed / the Mammy / her Mammy wants it. (delete as applicable)

And the photos will look better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gonna be odd for some priests
    Bless the roads makes a change from rode the blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Not really the whole God thing, it's more the Father Ted aspect of it that gets people going.

I think its more the typical atheist 'Gosh! what will all the really cool people think of us Irish' inferiority complex breaking through again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think he said, blessed are the cheese makers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

More Hocus Pocus.
    D'Oirish are still soooooo foooooookin Thick ... :(

A joke of a peeple and a joke of a cuntry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Let me guess. We'll have a bunch of cars parked on double yellow lines on a blind bend from attendees, then some guy in a fluorescent jacket half asleep in a ditch 20 yards from the service "warning traffic", and a priest and a bunch of locals standing in the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

mariaalice wrote: »
    I do think it should have been a ceremony of all faiths and none, and maybe it should have been focused on all using there collective energies and abilities to reduce road deaths.
    Neyite wrote: »
    I find it amusing. A bit of PR for the RCC I suppose.

Why are people concentrating on negative comments about the Catholic Church when the Church of Ireland are also taking parts in these blessings?
    The move by Catholic and Protestant clerics in the west of Ireland follows confirmation by gardai that road deaths in the region have risen in recent years, while figures for fatalities nationally have been falling.

I don't think the Protestant clerics have been mentioned once. I don't think these blessings will have any effect at all, but the typical knee-jerk reaction of people here is...well...typical. "Did somebody mention the RCC? Let's get to attack mode, no matter what's been discussed!".

(By the way, I'm an atheist so I'm not getting all defensive for my precious beliefs.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sure isn't blessing the roads appropriate seeing as St Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Just wait til he gets his water bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Well, if it somehow brought some safety (it won't) what harm? Better than throwing money at a has been to act as the mascot for road safety

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

kylith wrote: »
    Because Auntie Bridie will whinge if you don't!

Shows what a bunch of spineless cowards they are worrying about Auntie Bridie's feelings then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We need to follow this up with making Padre Pio relics mandatory in all cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I'll just phone fr Larry duff. He's on his way to bless the m50.

No hes not picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll just phone fr Larry duff. He's on his way to bless the m50.

No hes not picking up.

In other news, Fr. Larry Duff causes 12 car pile up on M50 today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't this the norm in rural Ireland?
    Religious all over the world bless boats, planes, army tanks
    Fighter jets, Roads, Running people, Cars..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Chijj wrote: »
    It's a purely symbolic gesture, I think some people on here would be happier with a story about a priest caught for sexual abuse.......pathetic really.

Thinking people would be happy about a child being abused is quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I think this is an excellent gesture considering the high number of roads deaths we experience in Ireland year on year. If you've ever known someone who was killed/seriously injured on the road (or dare I say can empathize with them & their families) there would be a dramatic decrease in cynicism spouted on threads like this.

But as usual when anything even remotely religious is brought up the 'atheistkult' will cry foam at the mouth purplemonkeydishwasher (my sympathies to actual atheists for having to be paired with these morons, you guys know what I mean..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They need to perform an exorcism on the Walkinstown roundabout

Does an exorcism involve keeping all the crap drivers off it? Cos it works quite well only for peoples stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Eramen wrote: »
    I think this is an excellent gesture considering the high number of roads deaths we experience in Ireland year on year. If you've ever known someone who was killed/seriously injured on the road (or dare I say can empathize with them & their families) there would be a dramatic decrease in cynicism spouted on threads like this.

But as usual when anything even remotely religious is brought ups the 'atheistkult' will cry foam at the mouth purplemonkeydishwasher (my sympathies to actual atheists for having to be paired with these morons, you guys know what I mean..)

Speaking as someone directly affected by a road traffic accident I can say I am highly cynical about this. I don't see what it would have done in the case of my family member to bless the road. He was hit by a drunk driver. No amount of blessing will help when you have idiots who drive irresponsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

If you've ever known someone who was killed/seriously injured on the road (or dare I say can empathize with them & their families) there would be a dramatic decrease in cynicism spouted on threads like this.

Doubt there would be any correlation.

You'd probably be more in favourite of actual road safety measures being put in place as opposed to religious mumbo-jumbo nonsense such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭2Bints1Joe

Let's hope one of the priests doesn't try and hump a minor road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

They should just take the roads in all together, and store them on the east of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Even if you're Christian does this not seem a bit silly? Are we to assume, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, Yahweh is watching people dying on the roads and either indifferent to it or unwilling to intervene as it's all part of his great plan, but then a couple of priests are going to say a blessing and the ineffable, infallible, eternal, unchanging one is going to stop and think "hmm, good point lads, I was way off the mark on this one, I'll change things up completely now".

Oh get down off that high horse (cos we have to bless it). I've had two relatives die on the roads, and I laughed out loud at this story.

Kinda feel sorry for people who can't see the funny side of it tbh! If they did the Fr Ted mass on the trailer of a driving tractor, surely that would be a better blessing. Full coverage like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

strobe wrote: »
    Even if you're Christian does this not seem a bit silly? Are we to assume, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, Yahweh is watching people dying on the roads and either indifferent to it or unwilling to intervene as it's all part of his great plan, but then a couple of priests are going to say a blessing and the ineffable, infallible, eternal, unchanging one is going to stop and think "hmm, good point lads, I was way off the mark on this one, I'll change things up completely now".

Logic not their forte tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pocketkings

I think this is an excellent gesture considering the high number of roads deaths we experience in Ireland year on year.

Actually, we have one of the lowest road death rates in the world. Apart from Switzerland and Scandinavia we have the safest roads in Europe. In comparison, Belgium has twice the death rate we do, and Portugal nearly 3 times. Only 9 countries have lower road fatality rates, this list includes nations such as the Federated States of Micronesia, the Maldives and Palestine, where you would imagine cars are pretty scarce.

Why is everyone freaking out about the number of road deaths? If you're a man, each year you're 50 times more likely to get prostate cancer than be killed on the roads. You're four times as likely to get leukemia. Don't get me started about heart disease, which caused 31% of worldwide deaths in 2012, a large % of which would have been preventable. Why aren't we focusing all this attention on things that actually kill a lot of people?

Our roads are in fact remarkably safe, blessings be upon them or not.

en.wikipedia. org/ wiki/ List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
    seer.cancer. gov/ statfacts/html/leuks.html
    seer.cancer. gov/ statfacts/html/prost.html
    who. int/ mediacentre/factsheets/fs317/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

strobe wrote: »

Sounds like a rather lame caricature of what 'Christian' is than a genuine attempt of description to be fair.

As Meister Eckhart says 'The only representative of God on earth is the Soul.' The soul exists in the man, as the unrealised, ideal part of himself which as Eckhart says is God's actual presence on earth. God is not in the clouds or far away, he is right here, personified in the highest being of man.

Therefore if 'God is to act', then he must do so through us, to the extent that we are one with him. This is the whole concept of the Son of God, the embodiment of us in Christ, the transformative Eucharistic rite as we strive for God in the flesh, in the here and now.

A man is only ever the sum of his intentions, as to do/be/say something - to realise an act - he first must have the intent to do that thing in the first place. Therefore maybe now we can see how the ritual blessing or prayer might help transform the real world for the better. That is: it lays the foundational intention from a higher aspect for our future action. It directs our personal and group efforts and aims it squarely where they need to be exacted.

"Men attract not what they want, but what they are" - James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

People always reveal their true character by their intent, hence why I'm questioning the motivations of people here who are lambasting something that is in itself good and has positive effects. The blessing is simply highlighting what needs to be done as a society - and the very last thing that needs to be done is complaining about the blessing itself due to XYZ. Logic never was the forte of the AH even though many always seek to claim it for their own 'group'. You're free to 'liberate' yourselves from the constructive intentions of the rest of society if you like, but it's counter-productive in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shur weren't they the very same roads that our fiddling priests travelled on when they were moved to other parishes, god bless 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Pity the clergy were not blessing the Red Cow Car park and N7 this evening, with the amount of feckin gob****es playing demolition derby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I understand that, but it's still worth remembering that a lot of people have died in this way.

We're 'freaking out' (in your words) because the vast majority of roads deaths are highly preventable and lock in with other problems such as the bad quality of roads in some areas, enacting better road development, driving education, and of course the national drinking problem which has always added to the plight our roads (though is getting better).

Your probably more lightly to die of flu In Ireland than being milled down on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pocketkings

I understand that, but it's still worth remembering that a lot of people have died in this way.

We're 'freaking out' (in your words) because the vast majority of roads deaths are highly preventable and lock in with other problems such as the bad quality of roads in some areas, enacting better road development, driving education, and of course the national drinking problem which has always added to the plight our roads (though is getting better).

My point was that there is a disproportionate focus on road deaths, compared to other causes of death. All the effort that goes into making the roads safer would be better spent on encouraging healthy eating habits or getting people out exercising more. It's a waste of resources.

c_man wrote: »
    We need to follow this up with making Padre Pio relics mandatory in all cars.

Plus Solemn Novena sticker, rosary beads, bottle of holy water and St Anthony medal.
    It's a scientific fact that a Carina 2 won't start without all those on board.

...bottle of holy water...

What about if we set up a car valet service, our USP is that we will use 100% holy water in the windscreen fluid. The driver is never without!

Think about it Doc, this time next year we'll be millionaires :cool:

Actually, we have one of the lowest road death rates in the world. Apart from Switzerland and Scandinavia we have the safest roads in Europe. In comparison, Belgium has twice the death rate we do, and Portugal nearly 3 times. Only 9 countries have lower road fatality rates, this list includes nations such as the Federated States of Micronesia, the Maldives and Palestine, where you would imagine cars are pretty scarce.

Why is everyone freaking out about the number of road deaths? If you're a man, each year you're 50 times more likely to get prostate cancer than be killed on the roads. You're four times as likely to get leukemia. Don't get me started about heart disease, which caused 31% of worldwide deaths in 2012, a large % of which would have been preventable. Why aren't we focusing all this attention on things that actually kill a lot of people?

Our roads are in fact remarkably safe, blessings be upon them or not.

en.wikipedia. org/ wiki/ List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
    seer.cancer. gov/ statfacts/html/leuks.html
    seer.cancer. gov/ statfacts/html/prost.html
    who. int/ mediacentre/factsheets/fs317/en/

That is an intelligent, well-written, factual and logical post.
    That is why people will ignore it in their droves and instead bleat "CARNAGE! MAYHEM! CRASH! BANG! WALLOP!" and something along the lines of "babies will die!" whilst wringing their hands saying "IT'S LIKE SHOOTING AN ENTIRE VILLAGE EVERY YEAR!".
    We are too used to misery porn, we love hearing in the news about carnage, crisis, mayhem, standing at the abyss. No wonder there is an element of self-hatred in there, sure we couldn't just enjoy ourselves, it must be catholic guilt that we have to feel bad about everything we do. Of course driving a car would be top of that list. You can, but you have to realise that you are a planet and baby murdering bastard and deserve to be punished.
    Nothing else can explain motor tax in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement