Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can beggars be choosers when it comes to employment?

Options
  • 29-03-2015 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

''desperate for a job at this stage!''

''ah no, I wouldn't work there''

are those words that should ever come into play when you're unemployed? do you think personal preference is a legit choice for turning down a legitimate job (or paid internship to get experience) because you simply wouldn't want to flip burgers, stack shelves or whatever you deem unattractive to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Robsweezie wrote: »

are those words that should ever come into play when you're unemployed? do you think personal preference is a legit choice for turning down a legitimate job (or paid internship to get experience) because you simply wouldn't want to flip burgers, stack shelves or whatever you deem unattractive to you?

I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's Saturday evening ffs.

Not technically Saturday but you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

People have the right not to work too should they so choose OP. Not every mind is a conformist fit into societies box like yours.

Maaaaaaaan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I would say to the person who would come out with the above statement about being desperate for a job, that if they turned down any of the above opportunities, or any opportunity at all, that they're then actually not desperate for a job, and they are being choosy.

I would think any the worse of them for being choosy, but I would think worse of them for complaining when they really have no reason to. There's plenty of work for anyone that actually desperately wants to work, and that's how anyone creates opportunities for themselves to advance to the level they really want to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I would say to the person who would come out with the above statement about being desperate for a job, that if they turned down any of the above opportunities, or any opportunity at all, that they're then actually not desperate for a job, and they are being choosy.

I would think any the worse of them for being choosy, but I would think worse of them for complaining when they really have no reason to. There's plenty of work for anyone that actually desperately wants to work, and that's how anyone creates opportunities for themselves to advance to the level they really want to be at.

Ireland is a great country if you don't want to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Depends on what the person is holding out for. If the area they're trying to get into typically recruits at a given time of year it'd be outright foolish to tie themselves down unable to attend interviews (or get a bad reference for lots of sick days taken to attend interviews) just because someone decided that they should flip burgers instead of waiting for professional interviews. Obviously in the mean time they'd want to be doing something productive with their time that doesn't prevent interview attendance and prep.

Should someone risk sabotaging their career just because "it's a job"? No

Should someone who isn't actively making other plans for employment/further education and training turn down a job just because? No

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Depends entirely on the context. Generally, probably no. The world isn't run by generalisations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dya want fries with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Yes. It would be rather inhumane to force someone to work in a position they are unsuited for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Don't be a beggar - be a chooser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Worked in a job that was like a mental asylum.. Stuck at it as there was nothing else.. I can't mention names here but it was an off licence in South Dublin..

Hated it. The job was good but the bosses obsession with making fancy displays out of boxes and stealing sales did it for me.

When I was told that my "probation" would be extended (to cover the xmas period), I knew I was gone..

But I stuck at it to the last day.. As it was the dole otherwise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Yes.

Say you lost your job in a certain industry. I think taking a low level job could hurt your chances if you're trying to get back into it. If you're just in the job for a few months before getting back into what you want, it's grand, you can just leave it off the CV, but I think it'd be naive to think you wouldn't be judged by people even a little bit if you took certain 'pay the bills' jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I'd say that line comes out of the arses of the anti pc brigade whingers who find fault with virtually everyone and everything and give people more of a pain in the hole than those mythical characters they deride.

Enjoy your weekend, worry about your own washing and don't stress the small stuff would be my advice.

Love: a PC Brigader who doesn't bother her arse getting a hernia over what my next door neighbour is doing and who's had a few winzez and is going to bed.

Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ireland is a great country if you don't want to work.

Its an even better country if you want to work and do something for yourself,
    I've mates that claim they cant get a job anywhere and then I've another mate that makes few hundred a week selling bloody mobile phone covers and stuff. Irish people are lazy their are jobs and money there if you want them.

worry about your own washing

But Mrs O'Sullivan's washing lined bloomers aren't bluey white and are causing great embarrassment in the valley of the twitching curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I'd say that line comes out of the arses of the anti pc brigade whingers who find fault with virtually everyone and everything and give people more of a pain in the hole than those mythical characters they deride.

Enjoy your weekend, worry about your own washing and don't stress the small stuff would be my advice.

Love: a PC Brigader who doesn't bother her arse getting a hernia over what my next door neighbour is doing and who's had a few winzez and is going to bed.

Night.
    It wouldn't be our problem if we didn't have to pay social support. But we do so it is.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It wouldn't be our problem if we didn't have to pay social support. But we do so it is.

Have a drink.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its an even better country if you want to work and do something for yourself,
    I've mates that claim they cant get a job anywhere and then I've another mate that makes few hundred a week selling bloody mobile phone covers and stuff. Irish people are lazy their are jobs and money there if you want them.

You should have a drink too. It's Saturday night ffs. And are you only 26? What made you into such a cranky hole???

You should have a drink too. It's Saturday night ffs. And are you only 26? What made you into such a cranky hole???

Haha sorry wasn't ment sound cranky lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

As long as it pays cash in hand Im not too fussy....cash is king!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha sorry wasn't ment sound cranky lol.

You're forgiven. :cool:

You're forgiven. :cool:

Phew thank god :)

Advertisement