Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irrational fears.

• 17-07-2019 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Im going to have to go shower free or use the gym tonight because there is a butterfly on the cealing of the bathroom and I have an irrational terror of them. All windows open and freezing while brishing my teeth downstairs in the sink. I cannot bear the thought of being in the room if it flutters or moves. Does anyone else have an irrational fear?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Im going to have to go shower free or use the gym tonight because yhere is a butterfly on the cealing of the bathroom and I have an irrational terror of them. All windows open and freezing while brishing my teeth in the sink. I cannot bear the thought of being in the room if it flutters or moves. Does anyone else have an irrational fear?

Similar, but Moths are my fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yes. Me too - it is a darker and more realistic fear.. But I am sick at the sight of butterflies also and people put them on everything - cards, cups,bookcovers, coushins. It makes looking normal very difficuly sometimes. Moths are evil creatures.I cannot rest in a house where there is one. Or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You'd hate my house at the moment so - my daughter loves butterflies, so i have planted butterfly attracting plants all over the garden and we're growing caterpillars on top of the fridge in a plastic cup!
    They should start making cocoons in the next few days, think it takes about a week then to transform.:D

Shame my mrs isn't on here, she'd give you a good story of a bat getting caught in her hair. Funniest thing i have ever seen in my life, not for her obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

A friend of mine had is seriously petrified and tormented by the thoughts of slugs.
    Probably because her brother put a few in her bed when she was younger.

Although this story doesn't help... a man taking 8 years to die horribly after taking a bet to swallow a slug.

https://www.livescience.com/64014-teen-swallowed-slug-dies.html

Actually, that story says to wash vegetables thoroughly just in case slugs/snails were on them.... so glad I'm not a vegetarian!

• Advertisement

Daddy Long Legs are another vile insect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Moths are evil creatures.I cannot rest in a house where there is one.

Overreaction much? They basically just sit on the wall adding a dash of colour

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

Im going to have to go shower free or use the gym tonight because there is a butterfly on the cealing of the bathroom and I have an irrational terror of them.

I know that's off topic, but for everyone who's afraid of any kind of creepy crawly: Get yourself a spider catcher. Can be had for as little as 8€ from chinese shops like Aliexpress, or 15-20€ from reputable shops. Hassle free way to get rid of them without stomping them to death or having to get close.

485495.png

Bobblehats wrote: »

Thread is Irrational fears. If theybwere rational I would just go in with a towel and swat them or shower around them. Its a lot of effort to avoid the wildlife - especially if it moves in with you and you yhink it is evil incarnate. Or whatever.

Butterfly is a red admiral. I think from my red list of dissappearing Irish wildlife it is on the extinction danger list. I hope its not going to hibernate or its going to be a long smelly summer.

• Advertisement

You'd hate my house at the moment so - my daughter loves butterflies, so i have planted butterfly attracting plants all over the garden and we're growing caterpillars on top of the fridge in a plastic cup!
    They should start making cocoons in the next few days, think it takes about a week then to transform.:D

Hortorstru ck. Lovely for her and the planet but that just paralyses me with fear. What attracts them to houses?I am sure this one was batting its wings at the glass door the other day trying to get in at me and my parents house had a HUGE one spread over the outsode wall all winter. I was sick every time I drove over and saw it. If I didnt know better I would say they were laying seige and after me. Would make an awful horror story. Like the Killer Bees one that stuck in my head. I have an allergy to beestings but dont mind them, oddly even thou I've had fairly bad medical outcomes of being stung occasionaly over the years. . As I said - its not a rational fear :0 Hoping someone will drop over and I can get them to 'fix' it while I go out for milk :0

Thread is Irrational fears. If theybwere rational I would just go in with a towel and swat them or shower around them. Its a lot of effort to avoid the wildlife - especially if it moves in with you and you yhink it is evil incarnate. Or whatever.

Butterfly is a red admiral. I think from my red list of dissappearing Irish wildlife it is on the extinction danger list. I hope its not going to hibernate or its going to be a long smelly summer.

Fair enough. Butterflies freak me out more with their random fluttering but if a big fat moth got up in my face i’d probably perform a hop and a skip too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

You just have to be very discerning.
    Settle down with the wrong one and you're in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

A friend of mine had is seriously petrified and tormented by the thoughts of slugs.
    Probably because her brother put a few in her bed when she was younger.

Although this story doesn't help... a man taking 8 years to die horribly after taking a bet to swallow a slug.

https://www.livescience.com/64014-teen-swallowed-slug-dies.html

Actually, that story says to wash vegetables thoroughly just in case slugs/snails were on them.... so glad I'm not a vegetarian!

That article proves to me that the fear of slugs is in fact rational !

When I dangle my foot out of the bed when it's warm, but pull it back in in a panic because I suddenly remember the killer clowns under the bed waiting to take a bite out me.

You can never be too careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hortorstru ck. Lovely for her and the planet but that just paralyses me with fear. What attracts them to houses?I am sure this one was batting its wings at the glass door the other day trying to get in at me and my parents house had a HUGE one spread over the outsode wall all winter. I was sick every time I drove over and saw it. If I didnt know better I would say they were laying seige and after me. Would make an awful horror story. Like the Killer Bees one that stuck in my head. I have an allergy to beestings but dont mind them, oddly even thou I've had fairly bad medical outcomes of being stung occasionaly over the years. . As I said - its not a rational fear :0 Hoping someone will drop over and I can get them to 'fix' it while I go out for milk :0

You need a proper slap in the face, Airplane style! Or Sean Connery style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep.. They can reduce me to a state of inane terror.. Once had a kind of waking nightmare as a small child when they were all over my bed.. I screamed until my mother came in and i could still see one on the pillow when she was picking me up. dragonflies too
    maybe most of these irrational fears have a base like that?

Candie wrote: »
    When I dangle my foot out of the bed when it's warm, but pull it back in in a panic because I suddenly remember the killer clowns under the bed waiting to take a bite out me.

a divan here..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Birds. I used to be a LOT worse, I can handle ducks and most small songbirds now, the other day I even fed some crows! But if I'm anywhere around them I'll be very aware where they are and what movements they're making.

Seagulls and birds of prey, forget about it. I'm thinking about owls now because I'm typing this and I can feel my heart rate is up. I've a recurring nightmare about an owl getting in the house and I'll wake up actually crying from fear.

Fine with spiders, rats and mice, ok with snakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Im going to have to go shower free or use the gym tonight because there is a butterfly on the cealing of the bathroom and I have an irrational terror of them. All windows open and freezing while brishing my teeth downstairs in the sink. I cannot bear the thought of being in the room if it flutters or moves. Does anyone else have an irrational fear?
    Nobody ever suspects the Butterfly....

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Toilet snakes in Ireland is an irrational fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Spiders.

I don’t care that they can rid my house of flies, moths and silverfish. I can take care of that myself, I don’t need the help of those spindly nuclei of pure evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Spiders.

I don’t care that they can rid my house of flies, moths and silverfish. I can take care of that myself, I don’t need the help of those spindly nuclei of pure evil.

I was the same since I was a kid until 4 years ago. Then I had cognitive behavioural therapy / hypnosis.. over 3 months I had weekly sessions and by the end I was able to hold a tarantula. Sometimes I get a bit of fright when I see them, but that’s it. They don’t put the terror in me that they used to. Worth the effort to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I know that's off topic, but for everyone who's afraid of any kind of creepy crawly: Get yourself a spider catcher. Can be had for as little as 8€ from chinese shops like Aliexpress, or 15-20€ from reputable shops. Hassle free way to get rid of them without stomping them to death or having to get close.

485495.png
    Hoover ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

love butterflies moths even slugs. ive no fear of bugs of any kind which is good as i work and live with people who are terrified of the smallest spider.

on the other hand i cant deal with mice or rats in any form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yaguhu cloud

pi, the square root of 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Cockroaches. Something about them scare the s**t out of me. They're even scarier dead than when they're alive. When Iived in oz it was my biggest nightmare and to this day I can't figure out why. Spiders or anything else I can deal with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the square root of 2...
    Hippasus of Metapontum got murdered over that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No, they are not...

...even an insect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Closing my eyes in front of a mirror for the fear that when I open them there will be something behind me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Closing my eyes in front of a mirror for the fear that when I open them there will be something behind me

Candyman... Candyman... Cand...

Candyman... Candyman... Cand...

Biggie smalls... Biggie smalls... Biggie

:rolleyes: totally rational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have a very big head. I'm always afraid I might get something stuck on it.

Toilet snakes in Ireland is an irrational fear.

until the first time it happens... So many pet snakes these days and it only takes one to escape.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A single Daddy Long Legs carries enough poison to kill a Blue Whale but it's teeth aren't sharp enough to pierce a whale's skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Bobblehats wrote: »

Thread is called irrational fears, not rational fears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

af06l_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    Is the joke that they used the Latin word for 'duck' instead of the Greek that would usually go with the suffix '-phobia'? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Candie wrote: »

This one's true though.

Moths, Flies, Spiders, Butterflies...none of these things can harm you and they are essential to the harmonious functioning of our planet, unlike humans I may add.

But, killer clowns?

They just bastards.

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

A single Daddy Long Legs carries enough poison to kill a Blue Whale but it's teeth aren't sharp enough to pierce a whale's skin.

This happened a few years ago..
    My brother left the bathroom light on one night with the window wide open,
    at about 11:30 that night I went to get ready for bed, walked into the bathroom only to be met with in and around 15 to 20 daddy long legs all just chilling out all over the place.. I'm not afraid of daddy long legs but I must say it was a very weird experience... I could almost feel their little eyes on me staring into my soul..
    It took me ages but I ushered them out as best I could without harming them..

• Advertisement

gnarbarian wrote: »
    This happened a few years ago..
    My brother left the bathroom light on one night with the window wide open,
    at about 11:30 that night I went to get ready for bed, walked into the bathroom only to be met with in and around 15 to 20 daddy long legs all just chilling out all over the place.. I'm not afraid of daddy long legs but I must say it was a very weird experience... I could almost feel their little eyes on me staring into my soul..
    It took me ages but I ushered them out as best I could without harming them..

My toes are curling up reading this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Farfalle Vendetta

Peatys wrote: »
    Thread is called irrational fears, not rational fears.

But moths aren’t evil. Not like that candyman

I’ve a fear of Ebola now too!

I cannot bear the thought of being in the room if it flutters or moves. Does anyone else have an irrational fear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSa605IfTiE

VR Headset or just move your mobile around to view the full 180o effect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Urban myth. Their venom hasn't even been studied in mammals so it's potency is unknown.

While living in Australia, I once woke up and there was a huntsman spider crawling over my face. It would have been about half the width of my face due to really long hairy legs. Pretty buff for a spider and luckily not venomous.

I'd like to say I calmly shooed it away, but I think it is still in orbit.

I am not scared of spiders, even after that, but the one I think is a really underrated terror is the white tailed spider. I am fairly certain I have been bitten at least twice by those nasty venomous little horrors. It took months for the swelling to go away. I was lucky, as I didn't lose a limb.

My daughter has an irrational fear of seagulls stalking her and then sh1tting on her hair. It's only happened twice, so I think she's being irrational. She is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Urban myth. Their venom hasn't even been studied in mammals so it's potency is unknown.

I am not scared of spiders, even after that, but the one I think is a really underrated terror is the white tailed spider. I am fairly certain I have been bitten at least twice by those nasty venomous little horrors. It took months for the swelling to go away. I was lucky, as I didn't lose a limb.

My daughter has an irrational fear of seagulls stalking her and then sh1tting on her hair. It's only happened twice, so I think she's being irrational. She is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

Reminds me of the day I was on the phone t o Canada and suddenly a huge huge spider full of little ones lowered itself on to my hand. My scream echoed around the world. Ran down the stairs and....

When I was a kid I used to catch daddy long legs and keep them in my pocket. My mother would go to wash the clothes and give out about all the dead daddy long legs in my pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I have a fear of balloons. Globophobia its called (I googled it). Children's parties are a nightmare!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the joke that they used the Latin word for 'duck' instead of the Greek that would usually go with the suffix '-phobia'? :pac:

Another Gary Larson one

Luposlipaphobia: The fear of being chased around the kitchen table by timber wolves while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While living in Australia, I once woke up and there was a huntsman spider crawling over my face.

My wife would die on the spot.
    My daughter...is also irrationally terrified of volcanoes, which is weird, because she has been up at least two.

The most irrational thing about that is that she's afraid of them, but has been up two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement