Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem wih motor insurance quote

Options
  • 15-07-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I have an injury claim pending against a 3rd party who was 100% at fault. It has been over the 5years as per the question in the online quote applications.

My insurance is very soon due for renewal. The quote I am getting from my current insurer is €350 more than the cheapest quote I got without mentioning the claim. About €850 compared with €500. When I mention the claim, the cheaper insurers won't insure me until the claim is closed.

Is this allowed?

In 25 year with a full license, I have never claimed against my own insurance or a 3rd party.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Why are you mentioning the claim if it occurred outside the specific question asked?

Also, you say that the 3rd party is at fault. Has that been agreed by everyone and not just your opinion? If so, your own insurers should not have an 'open claim' status on your file, if quantum is the only outstanding issue

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Why are you mentioning the claim if it occurred outside the specific question asked?

Also, you say that the 3rd party is at fault. Has that been agreed by everyone and not just your opinion? If so, your own insurers should not have an 'open claim' status on your file, if quantum is the only outstanding issue

3rd party is 100% liable. all admitted and agreed etc. but the question asked is for claims in the last 5 years whether or not at fault. I had to ask if my pending claim of more than 5 years affects me and they said yes. I didn't want to take the risk of not asking in case of a invalid policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If liability is accepted by the 3rd party, your insurer should close their file, therefore you do not have an open claim. An action you have taken against a 3 rd party, accepted by them, is not a claim you need to declare to anybody. In the strictest sense, a wrongdoer claims indemnity under his policy to compensate another person for a loss he has caused. The innocent party is claiming compensation from the wrongdoer, but his insurer handles the matter on his behalf

Obviously, if the question is asked if you had any accidents within X years, whether at fault or not you have to declare it

Advertisement