Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly rich celeb parents spoiling their kids?

• 07-07-2019 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭

1. Beyonce and Jay-Z: Little Blue Ivy is the proud owner of an $80,000 diamond-encrusted Barbie doll, a bathtub decorated with Swarovski crystals, and even a $3,500 Lucite crib!

2. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie: Shiloh was lucky enough to get a skate park for her eighth birthday, right in the backyard of the home that her parents once shared.

3Jaden and Willow Smith? It's like they are on another planet!

So with the quad bikes as toddlers the ponies at 5 etc. How are these kids going to be easily impressed with the world at age 15?

Nothing will be NEW to them. No one will be able to teach THESE kids anything.

Is there something you should hold back from giving your kids EVEN if you have the money?

I mean I know your kids to some extent are an extension of yourself and when people look at them they see how successful you are or not and how you look after them. But surely you should be secure enough not to care how you look to others etc?

Are they being ruined?

Or am I just jealous??
    am just jealous!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You need to get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Luckily I know nothing about these people or their children.
    The names sound familiar but that is about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is no towbar on a hearse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Newly rich?

I'd say all the folk mentioned have been mega-rich for a long time.

Sure as long as it makes them happy they aren't doing any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

NIMAN wrote: »
    You need to get a life!

You gonna pay for that life??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Warren Buffett has the best approach. His adult children have sufficient income to be financially secure but not enough to decide they want to sit on their holes all day doing nothing except dwindling their trust funds. They are able to take care of themselves, learned to become self sufficient which I guess was his point.

I think with the celebs it's a case of peer to peer competition ie if X person got their kid stuff to the value of $1m then their kid must have stuff to the value of $1m + a dollar. Same with billionaires who buy luxury yachts. One might order and get delivery of one that is 120ft long but if another subsequently got on that's 121ft long then the 120ft one, which any sane person would deem amazing, is deemed inadequate. Essentially, for people with money to burn, it all becomes a dick measuring contest.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Newly rich?

I'd say all the folk mentioned have been mega-rich for a long time.

Sure as long as it makes them happy they aren't doing any harm.

I mean their parents were not. Most celebs aren't born rich.

Obviously some are though. Or marry rich.

And yes I need a life and Yes am jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

You don't know who Brad Pitt is? Really?

valoren wrote: »
    Warren Buffett has the best approach. His adult children have sufficient income to be financially secure but not enough to decide they want to sit in their holes all day doing nothing. They are able to take care of themselves which I guess was his point.

I think with the celebs it's a case of peer to peer competition ie if X person got their kid stuff to the value of $1m then their kid must have stuff to the value of $1m + a dollar. Same with billionaires who buy luxury yachts. One might order and get delivery of one that is 120ft long but if another subsequently got on that's 121ft long then the 120ft is deemed inadequate. Essentially, for people with money to burn, it all becomes a dick measuring contest.

True thing is if you give kids money early they usually find destructive ways to spend it.

That is what boarding school was for. Its a small environment to keep them away from **** that can harm them.

Im runnin up that hill since 1972!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Beyonce and Jay-z are the eptimome of "money doesn't buy you class".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rich people, they're kinna boring really

Paris Jackson turned out ok..

Beyonce and Jay-z are the eptimome of "money doesn't buy you class".
    And she actually came from wealth.

WOW! That kid deserves respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Brad Pitt, Jay Z and Beyonce sound familiar?

You're so edgy maaaaaan.

There ain't no need to excuse it I am a generic celeb hoe ...im comfortable with who I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So with the quad bikes as toddlers the ponies at 5 etc. How are these kids going to be easily impressed with the world at age 15?

Sounds like Christmas in Finglas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

valoren wrote: »
    You don't know who Brad Pitt is? Really?
    If you put up half a dozen pictures of celebrities I might pick him out, but it would be a guess.
    Was he the actor in the poker film Rounders?

Jet Black wrote: »
    Sounds like Christmas in Finglas
    :pac:

• Advertisement

If you put up half a dozen pictures of celebrities I might pick him out, but it would be a guess.
    Was he the actor in the poker film Rounders?
    Matt Damon.

Also known for his role in.....

Matt Damon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A lot of people forget that these celebs rely heavily on keeping their name out there in the public eye in order to keep their celeb status.

These can't be compared to people like Warren Buffet or Bill Gates, who are business men who actually built a traditional company type with an actual product you buy on a shelf.

These are musicians who took it to a new level from just music with showing their wealth and lifestyle and then covering it with bling. Business people don't tend to do that for fear of alienating investors.

Yes Beyonce and the like built brands and a business just a different type which requires different rules and approaches with different types of consumers.

They are now doing the same with their kids, starting the how to play the game young to ensure they continue the life. Make it big, brash and broadcast it to the world, then watch the money roll in.

I'm sure they wouldnt have mentioned just a crystal encrusted doll, nope, it's "swarovski" encrusted "barbie" doll. The brands were probably falling over themselves to ensure they are associated with these people so their PR people probably had the whole thing planned in advance. The marketing opportunities are probably worth 1000 times what it actually cost to get this done.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    A lot of people forget that these celebs rely heavily on keeping their name out there in the public eye in order to keep their celeb status.

These can't be compared to people like Warren Buffet or Bill Gates, who are business men who actually built a traditional company type with an actual product you buy on a shelf.

These are musicians who took it to a new level from just music with showing their wealth and lifestyle and then covering it with bling. Business people don't tend to do that for fear of alienating investors.

Yes Beyonce and the like built brands and a business just a different type which requires different rules and approaches with different types of consumers.

They are now doing the same with their kids, starting the how to play the game young to ensure they continue the life. Make it big, brash and broadcast it to the world, then watch the money roll in.

I'm sure they wouldnt have mentioned just a crystal encrusted doll, nope, it's "swarovski" encrusted "barbie" doll. The brands were probably falling over themselves to ensure they are associated with these people so their PR people probably had the whole thing planned in advance. The marketing opportunities are probably worth 1000 times what it actually cost to get this done.
    True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Rich people, they're kinna boring really

The British Royal Family are supposed to be the most boring people you could meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If I was rich I'd use the cash to help my kids achieve something they were passionate about instead of just buying them shiny flashy sh1t

It's not fair to the less rich kids when my children get private gymnastics lessons from olympic gold medalists and guitar lessons from Jimmy Page
    But fukc it.

I would have loved the opportunity to be a race car driver or race in the Fastnet Yacht regatta but I had to make do with the local gaa club which was all that was around and all we could afford.

Akrasia wrote: »
    If I was rich I'd use the cash to help my kids achieve something they were passionate about instead of just buying them shiny flashy sh1t

It's not fair to the less rich kids when my children get private gymnastics lessons from olympic gold medalists and guitar lessons from Jimmy Page
    But fukc it.

They rarely make it all the way. Not that it isn't a good idea to do that. Keep em out of trouble ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ponies and quad bikes? They must feel like they are living in some estates in Dublin.

Edit. Bah, beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's not even about the kids being spoiled. Sometimes it just the way they're shoved in the public eye continuously before they can even walk. The Beckham kids are a prime example of this.

I admire Kate Moss for the way she brought up her daughter Lila. I have no idea if she spoiled her or not, but I like the way she kept her out of the public eye until very recently now that she's older (16 I think) As a child she was never paraded in public and photos of her had to be blurred out in the media. Lila had the chance to be a child and to have a normal childhood as opposed to be someone just used to promote her mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Matt Damon

Thanks for that, I’m going to be saying “Mehhttt Dehhmonnnn” for the day. :-D

Actually just read she has been in and out of mental institutions and have attempted suicide a few times so not so sure about that.

It's not even about the kids being spoiled. Sometimes it just the way they're shoved in the public eye continuously before they can even walk. The Beckham kids are a prime example of this.

I admire Kate Moss for the way she brought up her daughter Lila. I have no idea if she spoiled her or not, but I like the way she kept her out of the public eye until very recently now that she's older (16 I think) As a child she was never paraded in public and photos of her had to be blurred out in the media. Lila had the chance to be a child and to have a normal childhood as opposed to be someone just used to promote her mother.

True. The Beckhams use their kids a lot.

Actually just read she has been in and out of mental institutions and have attempted suicide a few times so not so sure about that.

Really?..tbh I was really just basing that on a live stream I somehow saw a few months ago..
    She seemed lovely..not at all caught up in the bullsh1t..
    Then her tit nearly fell out half way through it..
    But yeah, she came across as being really down to earth.. although being in and out of hospital a couple of times could probably do that to you too..
    But yeah.. she's lovely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://extra.ie/2019/03/17/entertainment/celebrity/paris-jackson-hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,163 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

1. Beyonce and Jay-Z: Little Blue Ivy is the proud owner of an $80,000 diamond-encrusted Barbie doll, a bathtub decorated with Swarovski crystals, and even a $3,500 Lucite crib!

2. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie: Shiloh was lucky enough to get a skate park for her eighth birthday, right in the backyard of the home that her parents once shared.

3Jaden and Willow Smith? It's like they are on another planet!

Nothing will be NEW to them. No one will be able to teach THESE kids anything.

Is there something you should hold back from giving your kids EVEN if you have the money?

I mean I know your kids to some extent are an extension of yourself and when people look at them they see how successful you are or not and how you look after them. But surely you should be secure enough not to care how you look to others etc?

Are they being ruined?

Or am I just jealous??
    am just jealous!

Jayden and willow still kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

You've never been to a funeral in Donegal

Advertisement