Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you return this?

• 30-04-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭

I received two packages last week on two different days. The packages have the same stuff in them, I only ordered one package.

I have contacted the seller and they want them back.

What would you have done? would you say anything to the seller?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

as long as it doesn't cost you anything. Yeah of course I'd send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'd send them back, but I would make sure the seller paid for the postage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tell them to prepay the postage and you'll send them back. Don't be green enough to send it and trust they'll pay you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Pretty sure it would be theft to refuse. You could insist they arrange someone come and collect it - if the hassle of posting it is the issue - but it sounds like you're just finding it hard to accept not getting free stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

I am not sure how it works in the states, as the cousin has them at the moment.

He said just put return to sender on the package

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it would be theft to refuse. You could insist they arrange someone come and collect it - if the hassle of posting it is the issue - but it sounds like you're just finding it hard to accept not getting free stuff.

I have no need for two of the same jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

cena wrote: »
    He said just put return to sender on the package

I gave a letter to the postman, he put it his sack
    Bright in early next morning, he brought my letter back
    She wrote upon it
    Return to sender, address unknown
    No such number, no such zone

I gave a letter to the postman, he put it his sack
    Bright in early next morning, he brought my letter back
    She wrote upon it
    Return to sender, address unknown
    No such number, no such zone

The company address is on the package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Just make sure it's not a scam, Mrs ingles had a very similar situation ordered clothing online received two packages sent one back in the instructions of the seller only to notice in bank statement she was charged twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If your a utd supporter then maybe send both back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

begbysback wrote: »

And take a dump in the box you're sending it in.

Not soccer jerseys

cena wrote: »
    I received two packages last week on two different days. The packages have the same stuff in them, I only ordered one package.

I have contacted the seller and they want them back.

What would you have done? would you say anything to the seller?

I would contact the seller. I am not a thief!

I would contact the seller. I am not a thief!

Actually, in all seriousness, is the recipient obliged to send it back, legally obliged, I may be mistaken but I heard before that if someone lodges money into your bank account in error then you are not legally obliged to return it - would this be correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In the states it legal to keep any packages sent you your house. Even if you didn’t pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You mean send them #pogback.

Nice to see many would return the package

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Actually, in all seriousness, is the recipient obliged to send it back, legally obliged, I may be mistaken but I heard before that if someone lodges money into your bank account in error then you are not legally obliged to return it - would this be correct?

That is an urban legend that some people seem to take as gospel. There were a couple of instances a few years ago that were in the papers and when they spent the money or refused to return it they got in quite a bit of trouble, I'll look for links later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mad muffin wrote: »
    In the states it legal to keep any packages sent you your house. Even if you didn’t pay for them.

Sound a bit mad! What if the postie delivers something to the wrong address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sound a bit mad! What if the postie delivers something to the wrong address?

a misdelivery is a different thing. If a business sends goods to you unsolicitated then you have the right to keep the goods after six months if the sender has not collected them and the consumer has not prevented the firm from collecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Urban myth I'm afraid - a former colleague was accidently paid for 25 hours overtime instead of 2.5 hours - he naturally spent it but his employer was legally allowed to deduct it from his future paychecks. To be fair they both agreed a set amount over a set period of time so there was no fall out over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A few months ago I ordered a PackGear for my sister for Christmas and they sent 2. When I got the second one I emailed them and explained their error. They told me I could keep it if I gave them an Amazon review. I had already reviewed it and sent them a link to it and they were happy to let me keep them both.

I gave the second one to my sister's fiance as they are both going backpacking for a year after they get married and I have to say that my PackGear is one of my favorite bits of my travel kit, hence the purchase for my sister.

https://www.thepackgear.com

Urban myth I'm afraid - a former colleague was accidently paid for 25 hours overtime instead of 2.5 hours - he naturally spent it but his employer was legally allowed to deduct it from his future paychecks. To be fair they both agreed a set amount over a set period of time so there was no fall out over it.

Legally deducting it from salary is not the same as legally obtaining it from a bank account

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

That is an urban legend that some people seem to take as gospel. There were a couple of instances a few years ago that were in the papers and when they spent the money or refused to return it they got in quite a bit of trouble, I'll look for links later

2 examples

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/make-a-phone-call-and-call-reality-judge-tells-man-who-spent-over-58k-accidentally-lodged-to-his-account-886650.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/woman-who-went-on-25k-spending-spree-after-bank-error-gets-suspended-sentence-1.3036533

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Legally deducting it from salary is not the same as legally obtaining it from a bank account

Banks have made mistakes on accounts plenty of times, they've given people balances of millions of dollars and later taken it away. Just because an account balance is showing something does not mean that the money is actually in that account.

So where's your source that bank errors always or even often go in your favour, monopoly cards?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got a free TV once, bought a glorious Mitsubishi 32 Widescreen TV(tube tv) in Currys years ago and wanted the lovely grey stand but it was out of stock. Paid for it anyway and took the TV away (needed a truck).

About 2 weeks later the delivery lads delivered the stand .....which turned out to be another Mitsubishi 32 Widescreen TV.

Went to a different Currys and bought the stand, sold the extra tv. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Witchie wrote: »
    A few months ago I ordered a PackGear for my sister for Christmas and they sent 2. When I got the second one I emailed them and explained their error. They told me I could keep it if I gave them an Amazon review. I had already reviewed it and sent them a link to it and they were happy to let me keep them both.

I gave the second one to my sister's fiance as they are both going backpacking for a year after they get married and I have to say that my PackGear is one of my favorite bits of my travel kit, hence the purchase for my sister.

https://www.thepackgear.com

So not just an Amazon review? they own your soul now too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I would send it back if i was the op.
    I was once sent an item that wasnt what it was advertised as at all. I got a refund from ebay through dispute resolutions.i sold the item. The guy tried to con me but i sended up conning him : ) he wanted me to send it back. feckin cheek of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

If you view this as a game(and you should) then the answers thus far
    will be too easily dealt with by your opponent.

You must seize the initiative and increase the stakes.

I suggest as a first maneuver to post the item to a random third party. For
    no good reason. This will catch your enemy flat footed and he/she will
    struggle to respond.

15 all, their serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So not just an Amazon review? they own your soul now too ?

Indeed they would if I had such a thing.

But I do have a PackGear and the laundry attachment and I don't travel without them. :D

Advertisement