Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost to build ...

• 19-02-2019 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

I put this thread in the prices thread but got no replies. I'm just wondering how much a 121 SQM two storey house would cost to construct? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

By main contractor?
    Turn key?
    What area of country?
    What standard of finish?
    Rural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

BryanF wrote: »
    By main contractor?
    Turn key?
    What area of country?
    What standard of finish?
    Rural?

Probably will be contractor
    Liveable... kitchen, bathroom and bedroom
    Connaught
    Again liveable ... not going to scrimp on above so I don't need to replace again in x years
    Yes rural on my own site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

I put this thread in the prices thread but got no replies. I'm just wondering how much a 121 SQM two storey house would cost to construct? Thanks in advance.

121 sqm 2 storey house is small by today’s standards.

Do you mean 121 sqm per storey?

893bet wrote: »

Yes per storey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

400k plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

kceire wrote: »
    400k plus

I think you scared him off ....

I think you scared him off ....

😁 I'll be starting to get prices locally soon, if it's coming in at those prices, I'll be living in the home house for another decade!!! I'll report back!!!

Just to add, was only looking for the physical house, windows and possibly a heating system - not the completed job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

Just coming towards the end of our build 210 sqm in Mayo and it is coming it at around 1500 per square meter finished (bungalow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Am building a 100 sqm, 2 storey house. 50/50. 3 bathrooms. 3 bedrooms. Study. Kitchen. Utility. Sitting room.

Smaller, but more efficient and....cheaper to build :) (and heat and clean).

I thought we were going back to what we needed sort of attitude than bigger is better one.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Am building a 100 sqm, 2 storey house. 50/50. 3 bathrooms. 3 bedrooms. Study. Kitchen. Utility. Sitting room.

I thought we were going back to what we needed sort of attitude than bigger is better one.

I'm the same. Those were the mesaurements the architect decided on and I'm happy to go with them. Was looking a price to get in the door.

• Advertisement

Where did I say different? I said if it’s 121sqm then it’s small by today’s standard for one offs which all seem to be 3000sqf. OP has clarified that’s per storey. So it’s really 242 m2.

Are you talking 100 sq metres each storey? I.e a 200 sq metres house?

If it is really only 100 sq metres then it will be very tidy with 3 bedrooms (plus a “study” plus 3 bathrooms and a utility. Struggle to see it being possible without rooms being tiny especially with hallways and stairs etc.

I'm the same. Those were the mesaurements the architect decided on and I'm happy to go with them. Was looking a price to get in the door.

You are the same what? You are building 2 X 121 sq metres per your posts. 242 sq metres or 2600 sqft.

It’s a big house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Some size house, over 200m2 wow, we are looking at 110-120 m2 thinking it’s good size in Dublin now they look tiny compared to what’s been discussed on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

What is the average size house built in 2018?
    And how many toilets?
    How many toilets are optimal? And how many does one need in a house of 4 non-disabled people incl. two kids?

How many sq/m for OP's plans?

What is the cost per sq/m of a 100m2 house with 3bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a BER of around C west of the Shannon?

To the OP - yea I think there is some mix up what size house you are intending to build.

893bet - you seem to be thinking am having a pop at what youve said. Am not. It's an opinion that am fully living at the moment (building a 100 sqm house).

100 sqm certainly gets you more than what is being suggested here. I dont have any pokiness. The house was designed very well and very clever.

Every bit of space has been accounted for and works. Am not going to pay a mortgage for space I wont use (am not saying others wont - this is just me). I lived on the continent. Particularly houses in Belgium and Holland impressed me.

Smaller, but every inch of the house is used so efficiently.

You are the same what? You are building 2 X 121 sq metres per your posts. 242 sq metres or 2600 sqft.

It’s a big house.

The same as previous poster, three bedrooms, three toilets, study, sitting room, kitchen and utility.

Sorry if I'm confusing people. On my plans, first floor is 121 SQM and ground floor is 121 SQM so as another poster has pointed out is 242 SQM.

Yes OP. Then youre talking 400k +

As said, Ive the same set up as you but at 100 sqm (50 top/50 bottom), at half the cost, if that makes any difference-obvs a smaller build means smaller cost to build. But I guess it depends why you want such a big house (reasons to yourself, i.e., big family or something).

I dont want ever to live with a massive mortgage. I want to enjoy my life. And if I lost my job, have a mortgage I could still afford on social - Yes-this is how I think!). Id prefer to have something smaller and more manageable. I told the architect "build me a house for this money" and so far, budget is ok - am not over the line yet.

Yes OP. Then youre talking 400k +

As said, Ive the same set up as you but at 100 sqm (50 top/50 bottom), at half the cost, if that makes any difference-obvs a smaller build means smaller cost to build. But I guess it depends why you want such a big house (reasons to yourself, i.e., big family or something).

I dont want ever to live with a massive mortgage. I want to enjoy my life. And if I lost my job, have a mortgage I could still afford on social - Yes-this is how I think!). Id prefer to have something smaller and more manageable. I told the architect "build me a house for this money" and so far, budget is ok - am not over the line yet.

I presume that 400k+ is a turn key finish?

I presume that 400k+ is a turn key finish?

Personally, I can only comment on personal experience (am not a builder), but yes 400k will get you to a certain level of finish.

Finishes are how long is a piece of string. A kitchen could be 7k-25k. Windows (pvC, aluclad for example) different finishes.

Am going to a builders finish, and will finish off the house around me then.

As you know, youve to pay an archi or engineer, electricity, water, council development fees, percolation.

Personally, I can only comment on personal experience (am not a builder), but yes 400k will get you to a certain level of finish.

Finishes are how long is a piece of string. A kitchen could be 7k-25k. Windows (pvC, aluclad for example) different finishes.

Am going to a builders finish, and will finish off the house around me then.

As you know, youve to pay an archi or engineer, electricity, water, council development fees, percolation.

I'm doing the same. Once I have kitchen, living area, bedroom and bathroom I'm happy to wait for the rest so I won't put in cheap materials that will eventually have to be replaced.

I have savings for those payments and architect and water already paid for.

• Advertisement

Hello again, I've received two quotes. One would be ideal (turn key) if I were a working couple but as a single applicant - I won't have a chance of getting a mortgage that size or would I want it either. The other is very high (very close to number one so a no go) and has no windows or internal walls and if I were to choose a builder, I would choose number one over it as it a finished price. I initially contacted four builders, two have come back way over my budget so I now have to make some changes to my plans. I don't really want to go back to the planning process, re-opening trial holes and probably more money to the architect (whom I initially gave him my budget and has left me with an over priced set of plans). Any suggestions?

I did contact a passive house company who would install the external frame, windows and foundations who are coming in budget but I'm not sure about the lifespan of one of these. I was in the showhouse and was impressed but don't know of anyone who lives in one. I also know that it would be easy to heat as they use A2W and have a massive amount of insulation.

Anyone here living in a timber frame house? I received a price within my budget for the timber frame - would still need ground works and block work.

I would have liked to build a traditional block build but obviously that is out of the question now unless I go direct build - can this be done if you don't have any building experience?

Any suggestions on what I should do? Am I destined to live as I am?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement