Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray foam u value

Options
  • 18-02-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am considering insulating between rafters on a new build with a warm attic and was looking a spray foam as an option. I had assumed the u value would be the same as rigid board insulation, but from what I've tracked down it seems to be closer to 0.36w/m2/k vs the rigid board value of nearly 0.2w/m2/k. Any advice on this? Are there different foams, where others achieve better values? A value of .36 means pretty thivk insulated slab is required, so wondering what people do typically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

why not go outside the rafters with the insulation?
    what have you planned as the roof build up?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I presume its already built ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Wouldn't going outside the rafters take space from the interior of the attic? Plan is to slab the attic and use it as stogage/livable space, ideally achieving .17 u value.

Funnily I've been talking to a few foam suppliers and the are slow to give out numbers like restivity or u value.

The only advantage I see right now is it potentially gives better insulation coverage as it will expand everywhere and fill all gap with an airtight finish.

For in roof attic insulation, you need to consider, as well as U value,
    1. specific heat capacity
    2. decrement delay
    3. density

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

tails_naf wrote: »
    Wouldn't going outside the rafters take space from the interior of the attic? Plan is to slab the attic and use it as stogage/livable space, ideally achieving .17 u value.

Funnily I've been talking to a few foam suppliers and the are slow to give out numbers like restivity or u value.

The only advantage I see right now is it potentially gives better insulation coverage as it will expand everywhere and fill all gap with an airtight finish.

https://www.nsai.ie/certification/agrement-certification/search-agrements-certificates/

you can find the values you are looking for here if you search by product name

• Advertisement

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.nsai.ie/certification/agrement-certification/search-agrements-certificates/

you can find the values you are looking for here if you search by product name

That's a great link, thanks. Also debunks what i was told by one supplier that their open celled foam would get a u value of 0.22 with 125mm depth. That would suggest a lambda of 0.027 - which seems optimistic after looking at a few certs there

For in roof attic insulation, you need to consider, as well as U value,
    1. specific heat capacity
    2. decrement delay
    3. density

I'm familiar with the first item, but as for the second, what is that in regard to? Also how does density affect it - I mean is the lambda/u value not quoted based on the typical application of the product at it's normal density?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tails_naf wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the first item, but as for the second, what is that in regard to? Also how does density affect it - I mean is the lambda/u value not quoted based on the typical application of the product at it's normal density?
    Explanations and stuff here, albeit on a page pimping wood fibre.

http://www.acaraconcepts.ie/wood-fibre-insulation/summer-heat-protection/

Lumen wrote: »
    Explanations and stuff here, albeit on a page pimping wood fibre.

http://www.acaraconcepts.ie/wood-fibre-insulation/summer-heat-protection/

Thanks for this Lumen.

OP, the issue is that tiles/felt in summer can reach 45/50 degrees which creates a much higher delta T for heat transfer through insulation.

Advertisement