Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maxipod Thermal Store

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes, on gravity circuit return to stove.

Get back your installer. That’s highly dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ogfeen

I am interested to know how you are getting on with your maxipos or would you recommend one? would you recomend an alternative thermal store or just a regular cylinder.

I am considering fitting one. Oil boiler, wood stove, possibly evacuated tubes. maybe PV down the line. space heating is 54M2 of UFH and 10 Rads. 2 showers one electric and one pumped.

any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@ogfeen - The problem I've had was due to our house being a bungalow and the pod being placed on the ground floor. This resulted in a thermosyphon between the tank and the stove. However, we now have that resolved by means of a swing valve in the circuit on advice of the manufacturer.

That is good thinking to have 1 electric shower and 1 pumped. We put both in as pumped and I wish we didn't as if the family is all getting ready to go out then the load on the system can be too much. They do keep water hot from morning through into next day (depending on usage), but I think we would need additional lagging on pipes around the tank itself to minimise losses. The shower does drop the tank temp by about 7 - 10degC. However, I think that using a better shower head would reduce the water usage and improve temp losses.

At some stage I might consider PV with a diverter for immserion, but so far its fine.

As for whether I'd recommend it, TBH you'd be better getting advice from @John.G and others who know the market as I am just an end user and as such I know little of the alternatives on the market. I'm happy with it now that we have the issue resolved. However, I do wish we put in 1 electric shower instead of 2 pumped - ensures we should always have 1 shower working at all times too.

What I would say is that I don't think I'd recommend a regular cylinder over one of these stores now that I've got this one. what brand you go for it a different question.

Advertisement