Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Canyon

Options
  • 10-02-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a new bike. I started road cycling last year and at the moment I only ride for fitness and fun but I would like to race in the future.

I have always liked the look of the Canyons. My budget is 2000 - 2500.

I'm thinking about the Ultimate CF SL 8

It looks like the geometry isn't as aggressive as the Aeroad but it's likely more than enough bike for me, and in budget.

I've also had a look at the Aeroad CF SL 7 but it's above my budget :(

Does anyone have experience with Canyon? Could anyone speak to the difference between the Ultimate and Aeroad frames?

Also, has anyone been to the Canyon shop in Germany? I live about 4 hours away by train so I could go there to test the bike and get a fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm considering getting a new bike. I started road cycling last year and at the moment I only ride for fitness and fun but I would like to race in the future.

I have always liked the look of the Canyons. My budget is 2000 - 2500.

I'm thinking about the Ultimate CF SL 8

It looks like the geometry isn't as aggressive as the Aeroad but it's likely more than enough bike for me, and in budget.

I've also had a look at the Aeroad CF SL 7 but it's above my budget :(

Does anyone have experience with Canyon? Could anyone speak to the difference between the Ultimate and Aeroad frames?

Also, has anyone been to the Canyon shop in Germany? I live about 4 hours away by train so I could go there to test the bike and get a fit.

While the Aeroad looks good, the Ultimate is probably the better buy. Less harsh for a start. There were a couple of Bike sites that compared them in the past, so google is your friend.

As you can go a see the bikes, definitely do so, and get sized up properly. Canyon can be a bit hit and miss in their sizing. There bikes are quite big for the sizes, if that makes sense. the XS is nearly a small etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have an Ultimate CF 9.0 for about 12 months and haven't had any problems with it - have also had a few alu Canyons in the past.

Where do you live exactly? I'm also around 4 hours from Canyon in Koblenz - and half considering selling this due to lack of use if you are interested. Only has around 400km on it and would be well under budget for you. It is the 2015 model but bought from their warehouse in February 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

While the Aeroad looks good, the Ultimate is probably the better buy. Less harsh for a start. There were a couple of Bike sites that compared them in the past, so google is your friend.
    A bit of reading would certainly put the Ultimate as the better buy and would leave some money for a wahoo.

I have an Ultimate CF 9.0 for about 12 months and haven't had any problems with it - have also had a few alu Canyons in the past.

Where do you live exactly? I'm also around 4 hours from Canyon in Koblenz - and half considering selling this due to lack of use if you are interested. Only has around 400km on it and would be well under budget for you. It is the 2015 model but bought from their warehouse in February 2018
    I live in Münster. Is that the model with Ultegra Di2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I live in Münster. Is that the model with Ultegra Di2?

Just standard Ultegra 6800 11-speed

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have had various Canyons for the last 10 years, they're among the best bang for buck bikes you can get, whatever discipline you're into. My current road bike is a 2016 CF SLX, I've had my eye on an Aeroroad for a while now but would just as easily go for the CF range again when I replace it.
    If you're able to get to their showroom and have a fit/try sizes then it's a no-brainer, biggest issue with the brand is getting the size right since you can't see them in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I bought a an Endurace CF SL 8.0 about six months ago. I'm absolutely delighted with it. If I was in your shoes I'd definitely take a visit to the showroom for a fit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bought a roadlite something or other 8 years ago.
    Bought an Ultimate CF 9.0 5 years ago
    Bought an Ultimate CF SL 8 Di2 Disc a month ago

My next bike will also be a Canyon without doubt. Can't look past them for quality and price compared to other brands. I have no regrets at all. The only thing to note is their frames tend to be a tiny bit smaller fit than standard IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The bikes mentioned come in Movistar and Katusha colours.

My only tip would be get the frame in stealth black. You may not be bothered as such, but Team colours can change very quickly and you may suddenly find yourself with a bike that's only one or two years old but aged because of a title sponsor change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I can’t speak of the ultimate or aeroad, but my two cents on canyon - I’ve bought two bikes from them, one bike to work and the other was just a direct sale. Both purchases were very easy and delivery pretty quick. The second bike went on sale the day after I pulled the trigger, I sheepishly asked could I cancel and reorder at the lower price, and they said no need, and just refunded the €300 difference to my card. Sizing wise they were spot on for me, but when you’re dropping 2-2.5k it would certainly be worth the trip for complete confidence.

For both bikes, they were absolute bargains given the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

I currently have an Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 Team edition, have it since 2016 and I absolutely love it. I had an S-works Venge before that which I found harsh. The Aeroad is more comfortable and I can cover 200km cycles on it and not be in bits afterwards. I changed out the original Fizik saddle. I also cycled the ultimate for a while and found it also to be very comfortable but more of a relaxed cycling position, but the Aeroad is my go to bike. The build quality is excellent and it was delivered in 8 weeks. Both of the bikes that you have selected are lovely bikes and you will be happy either way, and you can race on both of them.
    As you plan to race in the future I would go with the Ultimate as you can always stick a set of deep rim wheels on it and this will transform the looks of it, then in the winter or on windy days you can stick back on your original wheels and the bike will look great. With the Aeroad you make the bike look pants if you stick a set of non-aero/shallow rim wheels on it and it does catch cross winds so it might put you off riding it in the winter/windy months.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the contributions, they're very reassuring.
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    The bikes mentioned come in Movistar and Katusha colours.

My only tip would be get the frame in stealth black. You may not be bothered as such, but Team colours can change very quickly and you may suddenly find yourself with a bike that's only one or two years old but aged because of a title sponsor change.
    I am half tempted by the Movistar paint job but I think you're right - black is a bit plain but will age better and I'm less likely to just one day dislike it.

I'll probably head to Koblenz at the weekend, check out the shop, have a go on some some models and hopefully get some good sizing advice.

I am pretty much set on the Ultimate CF SL 8.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I can’t speak of the ultimate or aeroad, but my two cents on canyon - I’ve bought two bikes from them, one bike to work and the other was just a direct sale. Both purchases were very easy and delivery pretty quick. The second bike went on sale the day after I pulled the trigger, I sheepishly asked could I cancel and reorder at the lower price, and they said no need, and just refunded the €300 difference to my card. Sizing wise they were spot on for me, but when you’re dropping 2-2.5k it would certainly be worth the trip for complete confidence.

For both bikes, they were absolute bargains given the spec.

How did you go about using the Bike to work with Canyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ericzeking wrote: »
    How did you go about using the Bike to work with Canyon?

Your company has to be on board, a little, but you can select “advanced payment” and they generate an invoice which they email to you with payment details. Your company sends the money via bank transfer and once cleared, the order is generated. I know some companies will only deal with cheques or certain bike shops, but you might be able to talk them around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'll probably head to Koblenz at the weekend, check out the shop, have a go on some some models and hopefully get some good sizing advice.

Take a few photos of anything cool and post them up for us to drool over! :)

Take a few photos of anything cool and post them up for us to drool over! :)
    I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

Trip to Koblenz complete.

It's a pretty cool shop. I was so giddy in the first 5 minutes they could have sold me anything. Alejandro Valverde's world championship bike is in the lobby as soon as you enter along with the TT bike Patrick Lange used to win the world ironman championship.

After that there's a display of a mould they use to make the frames and some top end bikes with sections removed from the down tube etc so you can see the construction.

At the reception they greet you and ask what you're after. They then give you one of those vibrating/bleeping things so you can browse the shop until someone is available and then they buzz you. It was fairly busy but I only waited 20-30 minutes which passed quickly as I got my nose right into some lovely looking Dura ace components. The assistant asked me what I was looking for and then invited me to ask any questions. He was very patient and it was clear he was keen to make sure the process wasn't rushed. I found this amazing in comparison to the wham-bam-thank-you-mam approach at my LBS. Measurements next and then a discussion about the appropriate frame size.

He fetched the Ultimate I was interested in but with Di2* (ohhh yes). We went outside and he stood there and watched me cycle around the car park like a giddy child changing gears far too often. I told him I was hoping the reach would be a tad longer. He made some adjustments and then suggested I try the Aeroad as well. He brought it out and the thing looks and sounds like a stealth jet. I had a wee spin but stopped before I convinced myself to make a decision I couldn't afford.

*the shifting on the Di2 was excellent but I really did not like the smaller hoods. Then again, weight saving and all that.

The conversation continued in the car park where he answered questions and I got the strong impression that I could have ridden around, tried other bikes and asked questions for another hour or more and he would've been perfectly happy with that. Admittedly a spin around a large car park is not as good as a spin on the road but it was enough to get a good feel for the size and handling.

Back inside and we completed the order process. I can pay upon collection which gives me another couple of months to save up. Obviously they can post it but I chose to pick up so they can build it all up. The wait time will be approx 5-6 weeks. It should be available the week of my birthday so maybe I can squeeze some freebies out of them when I go there.

I went with the Ultimate CF SL 8.0 (mechanical Ultegra) in black. The countdown to new bike day has officially begun.

Sorry for the blog-type post.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Trip to Koblenz complete.

It's a pretty cool shop. I was so giddy in the first 5 minutes they could have sold me anything. Alejandro Valverde's world championship bike is in the lobby as soon as you enter along with the TT bike Patrick Lange used to win the world ironman championship.

After that there's a display of a mould they use to make the frames and some top end bikes with sections removed from the down tube etc so you can see the construction.

At the reception they greet you and ask what you're after. They then give you one of those vibrating/bleeping things so you can browse the shop until someone is available and then they buzz you. It was fairly busy but I only waited 20-30 minutes which passed quickly as I got my nose right into some lovely looking Dura ace components. The assistant asked me what I was looking for and then invited me to ask any questions. He was very patient and it was clear he was keen to make sure the process wasn't rushed. I found this amazing in comparison to the wham-bam-thank-you-mam approach at my LBS. Measurements next and then a discussion about the appropriate frame size.

He fetched the Ultimate I was interested in but with Di2* (ohhh yes). We went outside and he stood there and watched me cycle around the car park like a giddy child changing gears far too often. I told him I was hoping the reach would be a tad longer. He made some adjustments and then suggested I try the Aeroad as well. He brought it out and the thing looks and sounds like a stealth jet. I had a wee spin but stopped before I convinced myself to make a decision I couldn't afford.

*the shifting on the Di2 was excellent but I really did not like the smaller hoods. Then again, weight saving and all that.

The conversation continued in the car park where he answered questions and I got the strong impression that I could have ridden around, tried other bikes and asked questions for another hour or more and he would've been perfectly happy with that. Admittedly a spin around a large car park is not as good as a spin on the road but it was enough to get a good feel for the size and handling.

Back inside and we completed the order process. I can pay upon collection which gives me another couple of months to save up. Obviously they can post it but I chose to pick up so they can build it all up. The wait time will be approx 5-6 weeks. It should be available the week of my birthday so maybe I can squeeze some freebies out of them when I go there.

I went with the Ultimate CF SL 8.0 (mechanical Ultegra) in black. The countdown to new bike day has officially begun.

Sorry for the blog-type post.

In similar position to you now , considering a canyon .and was interested in how u have found your new bike . Me ....Injured runner , borrowed a bike 6 weeks ago and now need to get my own. Can’t decide between Endurace CF 7.0 SL or the ultimate CF 8.0 SL. I was drawn to the ultimate by the Movistar replica colors only available at 8.0 spec level .Looked at giant defy and tcr advanced and even though I’m not mad about look of giant bikes I did think the defy was a bit clumsy compared to the tcr. That’s why I’m thinking is is the same with the Endurace and Ultimate ? Currently using a Scott speedster and find it grand.

tomred1N wrote: »
    In similar position to you now , considering a canyon .and was interested in how u have found your new bike . Me ....Injured runner , borrowed a bike 6 weeks ago and now need to get my own. Can’t decide between Endurace CF 7.0 SL or the ultimate CF 8.0 SL. I was drawn to the ultimate by the Movistar replica colors only available at 8.0 spec level .Looked at giant defy and tcr advanced and even though I’m not mad about look of giant bikes I did think the defy was a bit clumsy compared to the tcr. That’s why I’m thinking is is the same with the Endurace and Ultimate ? Currently using a Scott speedster and find it grand.

I took up road biking spontaneously last year and got my first bike - it was a Cube gravel bike with an endurance frame, Tiagra groupset & 36mm tyres. I rode it for 12 months & loved it. However, I wanted something lighter, quicker and with a more aggressive riding position so I settled on the Ultimate CF SL 8.0. I was very keen to get a more race-orientated bike after riding an endurance frame so, to be honest, I didn't even consider the Endurace. My choice was between the Aeroad and Ultimate.

Try as I might I could not find another bicycle at that price point with the same level of components. I also strongly considered the TCR after finding unanimous praise online but they really are not to my taste and most of the components are from Giant themselves (Canyon offer DTSwiss wheels & Fizik saddle, for example). It's probably a great bicycle.

The Movistar colours are really nice and I was very tempted myself, but as someone advised me on here, they will probably date rapidly. The black is a bit boring but it really highlights the lovely shape of the frame in my opinion.

The price difference between the Ultimate CF SL 8.0 and Endurace CF 7.0 is 800 euro. The main contributors appear to be: Ultegra v 105 (negligible difference by all accounts I've read); different paint schemes; DT Swiss V Mavic wheels; different cockpits; approx 1kg in weight.

I'm delighted with my Ultimate but I reckon you'd be more than satisfied with the Endurace.

I took up road biking spontaneously last year and got my first bike - it was a Cube gravel bike with an endurance frame, Tiagra groupset & 36mm tyres. I rode it for 12 months & loved it. However, I wanted something lighter, quicker and with a more aggressive riding position so I settled on the Ultimate CF SL 8.0. I was very keen to get a more race-orientated bike after riding an endurance frame so, to be honest, I didn't even consider the Endurace. My choice was between the Aeroad and Ultimate.

Try as I might I could not find another bicycle at that price point with the same level of components. I also strongly considered the TCR after finding unanimous praise online but they really are not to my taste and most of the components are from Giant themselves (Canyon offer DTSwiss wheels & Fizik saddle, for example). It's probably a great bicycle.

The Movistar colours are really nice and I was very tempted myself, but as someone advised me on here, they will probably date rapidly. The black is a bit boring but it really highlights the lovely shape of the frame in my opinion.

The price difference between the Ultimate CF SL 8.0 and Endurace CF 7.0 is 800 euro. The main contributors appear to be: Ultegra v 105 (negligible difference by all accounts I've read); different paint schemes; DT Swiss V Mavic wheels; different cockpits; approx 1kg in weight.

I'm delighted with my Ultimate but I reckon you'd be more than satisfied with the Endurace.

Thanks for the feedback . As I’m new to all this stuff it probably looks like I’m flipping from one thing to the next .
    I’ve decided I want a canyon. I just like the look of them , I sell German kit , have worked for German companies and like their efficiency at things even if they are a small bit rigid !

Few things I’ve settled on

7.0 / 105 type spec is enough for me
    Rim brakes are fine.
    Weight is not so big an issue as I was once 108kg. Now 73 so could knock off the Ultegra weight benefits with a bit of speed work if I ever get back running.

The closest thing I have found to running in cycling is climbing so that’s what I want the bike to do best
    I don’t like plain black bikes
    I like the Movistar color best.
    I know nothing about wheels and don’t have the interest at the moment to find out more !

Red wouldn’t be my favorite color for a bike but I am from Cork so the bit of white makes it compatible!

Options as of now are bike / spec / color / wait time / price

Endurace CF 7.0 red 8 weeks 1399
    Ultimate CF 7.0 red 10 weeks 1599
    Endurace CF 8.0 red available now 1899
    Ultimate CF 8.0 Movistar 10 weeks 2199

I am thinking that whatever bike I get I can make changes to the setup to make it more or less Aggressive / comfortable . My feeling is your have more leeway to do this with the ultimate but my only reference pt has been to compare giant defy and tcr albeit without even taking them for a spin.

Thoughts welcome thanks !

Went with same bike as you No32 just in the Movistar color. Got a spin on an SLX version last week and really liked it . Savage acceleration and really slick on hills compared to what I’m using. Due early August so thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
Advertisement