Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey cycle way rejected

Options
  • 28-09-2017 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

20 million is a pittance compared to the overall budget. What a shame. I can only shudder to think of the waste that goes on with money.
    Until stuff like this gets serious funding, then less people will cycle. Public transport and cycling needs encouragement.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cycleway-rejected-nta-3619229-Sep2017/

A car occupies 2.5 meters roughly with 1 meter between each car for safe distance, a car will occupy the width of the road, cars are usually single occupancy. This means 1 person per 3.5 meters of road.

A bus occupies 12 meters of the road and carries 100 people max. That's 30 times more efficient!

Couple that with a safe segragated cycle lane and we're laughing. Why is there no incentives provided for ditching the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Too many vested interests represented on the council. Cant agree how to run a bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

THis could possibly be good news in the medium term, by taking the decision making away from the council. NTA may be more prepared to make a less populist decision than DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

queldy wrote: »

Janey, that seems like a lot of filtering. And quite a few overtakes (attempted and successful) I wouldn't make myself.

buffalo wrote: »
    Janey, that seems like a lot of filtering. And quite a few overtakes (attempted and successful) I wouldn't make myself.

some I wouldn't re-make myself either...
    (the pressure you feel from the environment is not showing up on the video, though; sometimes you decide what's better, and it doesn't look right when you look at it sitting at a desk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

The move between the bus and truck was lunacy! It does show just how bad it is though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Wow that is a joke all the same looking at this just annoys me.. The section on the quays from the four courts to capel street bridge is always packed with cars now. everyone changing lanes and just blocking up the road... starting to really get on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What hope is there when they can't have a decent surface on the cycle lane in and out of the Phoenix Park between Parkgate St and the first roundabout.
    The space and lane itself is there already but an abysmal surface forcing cyclists onto the road. Was expecting this to be done prior to the papal visit since they resurfaced the section of road at the gate itself.

The whole of Parkgate St itself badly needs to be resurfaced, pretty dangerous in parts on two wheels and don't mention the 3 massive potholes in the cycle further up the quays here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3463008,-6.2787168,3a,63.3y,31.19h,62.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQLONjjq3putHxorhUB_huw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    So bad last week with a huge crater that should you hit them you'd blow your tyre and rim and likely break your wrists in the process. Buy good news, the council were around again and slapped another shovel of tar down for another botched job and the can kicked further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry but I can't see the point of a lot of the filtering there, there seemed to be, a lot of the time, space in the bus/cycle lane that would have been just as quick for using. I'm not saying the bus/cycle lane is great, far from it, but there are a good few sections where it's infinitely preferable than filtering about for no real use other than perhaps for getting likes on the video.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

MeagerThinAsianporcupine-small.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

I'm actually shocked how little time you were able to use the bike lane on Westland Row. Parking enforcement is cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Steoller wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked how little time you were able to use the bike lane on Westland Row. Parking enforcement is cat.

Can you image the uproar if a traffic lane was taken by bikes only during certain hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Can you image the uproar if a traffic lane was taken by bikes only during certain hours?

Sounds like the makings of a day of action.

Sorry but I can't see the point of a lot of the filtering there, there seemed to be, a lot of the time, space in the bus/cycle lane that would have been just as quick for using. I'm not saying the bus/cycle lane is great, far from it, but there are a good few sections where it's infinitely preferable than filtering about for no real use other than perhaps for getting likes on the video.

I got 3 likes on that video and I am not really interested in getting likes on this kinda videos - please at least do not assume without asking. :cool: I am not a youtuber, I have many more interesting and funnier things to do!
    Since I moved to Smithfield I am forced to use that stretch of road, and I invite you to come with me one day and try it a few times together (even though, I discourage anyone including me on using it, unless it is the only way to go to work). You would soon realize to find yourself in the middle of the road (or on the right side) without even having choosen it - the traffic pushes you there.

I would be a moron if I was going filtering like that for the "likes", another cyclist happens to be where I am - believe me that strecth of cycling/bus lane at those time it is so busy you cannot simply use it.

OSI wrote: »
    Ended that stretch of road behind the same taxi he started it behind :confused:

indeed.
    I would like to make clear that I didn't mean to say "hey, look how cool I am doing all this filtering"
    It looks like a few of you have assumed that I wanted to show off.
    As a matter of fact it is simply a way to denounce how bad the situation is on that road. I am force to use it every day, and it is simply mad.
    I am planning to move house only for this reason, but this will take months, pain and money.
    Please do not assume I was trying to be cool - as a matter of fact, I only try to arrive alive every day (and it shouldn't be like this, in a modern civilised city).
    I even admitted I wouldn't do most of those moves myself again, and yes I arrived later than that taxi (do you know by the way the manouvres that the taxis do on that stretch of road usually?). I found myself stuck many times, then you look left lane and it's free but you cannot teleport there when there is a truck in between you and the lane and there are cars coming fast from behind.
    Another cyclist happens to be there where I find myself, do you also think he was there to be cool?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Another cyclist happens to be there where I find myself, do you also think he was there to be cool?
    I'd assume he was planning to turn right onto Grattan bridge. That's the only reason I'd be in that lane.

60% of petrol/diesel is tax , give or take.

Motor tax,

levy on Insurance,

NCT ,

Tolls,

Tax on tyres

VAT on servicing.

VRT

VAT on new cars

More traffic congestion uses more fuel = more tax.

Drivers licence cost money.

The Government don't want to stop the Mega Multi Billion Euro Gravy train !

Advertisement