Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Rock Climbing Wall

Options
  • 17-04-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi all,

See attached image - I put up this rock climbing wall 3 years ago for my kids using a sheet of marine ply & some rock-climbing holds I got on eBay, but they've outgrown it now (height-wise). So rather than get rid of it, I have now decided to extend it across the entire wall so they can climb sideways instead, and also be able to go around a corner for an extra challenge (where the pillar is).

Anyway - the main question I have, is should I buy 4 more sheets of marine ply to mount the rock-climbing holds on - or should I bolt/screw them directly into the wall? They're a mixture of bolts & screws. The marine ply sheet is currently mounted on the wall with 2 batons.

See here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22x-MIX-COLOUR-BOLT-ON-SCREW-ON-ROCK-CLIMBING-WALL-HOLDS-SET-ALL-FIXINGS-INC-/201557755643

I think it would look more colourful to have them on the wall itself, but thought I would check first before drilling 100 holes in my wall.

Feedback & comments welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Nice wall for a start!
    If it were me i would just fix them to the wall. i am thinking you have bolts that need to go into the wall? You need to drill holes in the wall first, say a couple of mm wider than your bolts, then you could use concrete resin (ask in diy shop - you use a caulk gun to put it in the holes) to help fix your bolts in the wall. It is very strong stuff, have hung boxing punchbag brackets to walls in this way without any issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Yeah, it would look nicer & be easier to fit them directly to the wall. But if I was fixing them to the wall, I'd just use brickwork rawl plugs - since it's only small kids using the wall.

The upside of using sheets of plywood, would be that I could go around 1ft higher than the wall - so that'd be pretty cool.... the current bit of ply was cut to be level with the top of the wall - but I may just go full-height on the ply to gain some extra height - neighbour won't mind.

Also, there is a visible crack in the wall that can be seen in the photo - well, not a crack as such - more of an outline in the paint, or the beginning of a crack. If I put wooden batons all the way across the top & bottom of the wall, it'll give extra support to the wall - then I can screw the plywood to the batons as I've done on the original.

So a few pros & cons...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Used wood in the end - see attached!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Used wood in the end - see attached!

Just wandered in here. Your wall looks great.

I was going to add a couple of advantages of using ply, so I was glad to get to the bottom to see that you did.

1. you can alter the positions so that you can have "routes", ie. getting from a to b, only using one colour. You can then change them around later to make them more difficult.

2. you can change the angle of the wall to make it easier or more difficult. ie. when the start finding it too easy you can make it so that the top is further from the wall than the bottom - way harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sparky03

Interesting idea just wondering if anyone has built a climbing wall for adults at home? There's a UK company who sell 1.2m * 1.2m boards pre drilled from £75 http://www.climbawall.co.uk/panel-kits/ but I'm pretty sure that you could save some money on that if you have some DIY tools and do the drilling yourself. Some climbing equipment companies also sell the bolts and nuts for fixing the holds. This allows you to change around routes as well.

I think that hardware stores sell plywood sheets in 2.4m * 1.2m size or whatever is equivalent to 8' * 4' in imperial measurements

Here's another link with good information on building a climbing wall
    https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/how-to-build-a-rock-climbing-wall
    NiallBoo wrote: »
    Just wandered in here. Your wall looks great.

I was going to add a couple of advantages of using ply, so I was glad to get to the bottom to see that you did.

1. you can alter the positions so that you can have "routes", ie. getting from a to b, only using one colour. You can then change them around later to make them more difficult.

2. you can change the angle of the wall to make it easier or more difficult. ie. when the start finding it too easy you can make it so that the top is further from the wall than the bottom - way harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Kenny - you still around? Wondering how well this has weathered? Have you needed to replace the ply at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AltFact

that's amazing. well done. 25mm ply?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ReckedRob

Looking to do the same on my gable end for kids and myself

So far thinking 18mm marine ply fixed to pressure treated 2x6 supports which are then bolted to wall

Wont be lead climbing at all, so will be set up for bouldering, about 8m Square

Would love to know how the ply will weather in our lovely Irish climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi all,

See attached image - I put up this rock climbing wall 3 years ago for my kids using a sheet of marine ply & some rock-climbing holds I got on eBay, but they've outgrown it now (height-wise). So rather than get rid of it, I have now decided to extend it across the entire wall so they can climb sideways instead, and also be able to go around a corner for an extra challenge (where the pillar is).

Anyway - the main question I have, is should I buy 4 more sheets of marine ply to mount the rock-climbing holds on - or should I bolt/screw them directly into the wall? They're a mixture of bolts & screws. The marine ply sheet is currently mounted on the wall with 2 batons.

See here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22x-MIX-COLOUR-BOLT-ON-SCREW-ON-ROCK-CLIMBING-WALL-HOLDS-SET-ALL-FIXINGS-INC-/201557755643

I think it would look more colourful to have them on the wall itself, but thought I would check first before drilling 100 holes in my wall.

Feedback & comments welcome.

Thanks.

very cool wall - is that just untreated marine ply (in the original pic, not the extended one

Advertisement