Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dramatic Draconid meteor shower possible Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Note to self..... look up on Saturday night! lol, thanks for posting Hooter23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A general rule of thumb in this country seems to be meteor shower/northern lights = 100% cloud cover so doubt we'll see anything but might as well have a look anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Harps wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb in this country seems to be meteor shower/northern lights = 100% cloud cover so doubt we'll see anything but might as well have a look anyway

So true.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Will I see any tonight if I go out after 12 or should I wait til tomorrow night? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Will I see any tonight if I go out after 12 or should I wait til tomorrow night? ;)

We've been entering the debris filed for a while already, tonight could be great, tomorrow could be a waste the day after could great, it's a bit like that.

From 9PM to about 1am ~ as I understand it, is our optimum time-frame. Tomorrow, the 8th is the expected peak, observations before and after peak is recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Not looking good weather wise tonight .... at all at all .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Looking at met eireann's radar, it looks like cloud cover could clear away in the South, so perhaps there is a chance of spotting the meteor shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm in Co Waterford, lower clouds are tiny and flying by quickly so no big bother, but there's these tyre marks* sort of high clouds hanging over us... some patches of clear sky, but that's too near the moon to see anything. Will have a last look in another while, but had plans to go to bed early :(.

Lovely rainbowy halo around the moon.

* not showing on radar !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In contrast to that, its probably the single worst night all year for visibility here, actually had to turn back in a car journey earlier tonight the fog is that bad, couldn't even see the road right in front of the car! Not too bad on lower ground but once you go up to a few hundred metres visibility is basically zero.

Another in a long line of non events :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Due to weather forecast my observations were confined to running out the back during ad breaks, I did see one small typical falling star but the gaps in the clouds were better and lasted longer than had been expected.

Lovely moon and a fantastic Jupiter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

100% cloud cover for the past few nights. Typical. ANyway not too long to wait for another meteor opportunity. The Orionids will occur this year on the 20/21st October. Fingers crossed for some lovely crisp frosty clear nights.

Advertisement