Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a Genealogist in Dublin

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Has anyone here had any experience hiring a Genealogist in Dublin? If so, I've got a few of questions.
    Could you please tell me how did you go about doing it?
    Did you need to provide loads of background information?
    And was it really expensive?

I'm based in the UK and trying to trace my family back in Dublin but I keep hitting a brick wall. It's so frustrating, I really need professional help :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not a professional (still in training) but if you want to pm me some details, I can give you a rough idea of what's needed and costs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

Thanks Pinky. I'll pm the details to you now ...apologies in advance for the long post but it will give you an idea of how much I know and what I'm looking to achieve.

Its so frustrating. I'm pulling my hair out here! I'm hoping it will cost less to hire a genealogist than it will be to buy a wig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

LellsBells wrote: »
    Has anyone here had any experience hiring a Genealogist in Dublin? If so, I've got a few of questions.
    Could you please tell me how did you go about doing it?
    Did you need to provide loads of background information?
    And was it really expensive?

I'm based in the UK and trying to trace my family back in Dublin but I keep hitting a brick wall. It's so frustrating, I really need professional help :o

As with any research the more clues you have the better the chances of finding the correct family. If you only have very basic information and a common surname then the research takes a lot longer (i.e. costs more) and may not find a certain match. Anything you have to narrow down the search saves time and increases your chances - i.e. names, dates, addresses, occupations/trades etc

The other major factor is the dates involved - probably the key cut-offs are Census 1911, Civil Registration 1864, before that it can get more difficult.

Shane

Thanks for your reply Shane. The surname is a very common one, I'm unsure of a lot of dates and to top it all off my ancestors seemed to just change their first name whenever it suited them :confused: I know that my great grandmother went by at least 3 different names!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Thanks for your reply Shane. The surname is a very common one, I'm unsure of a lot of dates and to top it all off my ancestors seemed to just change their first name whenever it suited them :confused: I know that my great grandmother went by at least 3 different names!

Thats so true my surname has been changed 3 times so it is really hard to find them its so annoying...

• Advertisement

I know it's insane that people just changed their name whenever they felt like it. I know one of the main problems was illiteracy ..they couldn't spell their own surname so on the census form it was written as it sounded to them. Mac's and O's were often dropped cos they were seen as being old fashioned. Age is also another dodgy area, I've read that most people simply didn't know their date of birth so they always underestimated ...as you would! Apparently when the state pension was introduced people suddenly aged by 20 years so they could claim it :eek: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Probably the best way, is to go back to what you are certain of from details in your family story, and first hand knowledge and work back step-by-step from there. I think a reliable starting point is the best groundwork for further research - either by yourself or a professional, otherwise you could end up with the 'wrong' family line.

If you want to post some basic details on known dates, places and names that you do know I could maybe either start you off, or give pointers.

edit : sorry pinkypinky, I just saw that you already offered to give some advice on this

Shane

Thanks Shane I really appreciate your offer. I sent the details to Pinky and she very kindly was able to investigate further for me. I think my next step now is to wait for familysearch.org to get back on track. Like a lot of people I'm longing to get hold of the 1901 census next month :)

Advertisement