Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good book/pack to get started for retired Aunt?

Options
  • 14-04-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi

I have a lovely Aunt who has recently retired and is interested in tracing her family tree back in Clare.

I would appreciate any suggestions for good books or 'get started' packs etc that are very very user friendly for her to use to get started.

I'd love to help her in this as she's one of these women who is always helping everyone else.

Kind thanks,
    Pix

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

John Grenham's book is very readable - Tracing your Irish Ancestors.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I'd get her 2 empty A4 writing pads to start with :

1 for her to write down what she currently knows and to draw a tree based on that

1 to take with her to the local library to take notes; use the computers there to access Ancestry, the 1911 census records, rootschat, Familysearch, GenesReunited, GenForum etc.

Get Grenham's book thru the library rather than purchasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Advertisement