Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Petrucci's solo album is quite literally one of the best instrumental albums I've heard in years.

Definitely, 'Curve' can be listened to on repeat for 24 hours without losing a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Woohoo, here's hoping they get announced for either Graspop or Bloodstock or maybe even a show here in Vicar Street again.

Will probably take a mosey over to London anyhow to see them on their own if they're doing a full blown tour, have seen them there most years since 2000!

I'd say Graspop would be a more definite show alright, be the Belgiam stop. Not the sort you'd see at Rock Werchter anyway.

Was in Vicar Street for the first time the other day...couldn't believe that DT played there, would've been class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vantasic

that moment in octavarium when it breaks into just drums and the bass goin funky crazy, unbelieveable....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Just got the four Dream Theater Official Bootlegs CD's from the live series, from Ytsejam Records (my wee Christmas treat) : The Number of the Beast, Master of Puppets, Dark Side of the Moon (cd and DVD) and Made in Japan.

Luvvly, will be back for more.

Check out www.ytsejamrecords.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I love DT. Think they're totally under appreciated. Alot of my friends dont like em cos they claim that they're "too tecnical".....bulls**t lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I know that they were contacted for a show in Vicar St last year but couldn't do it as the place wouldn't be able to handle the set up. Seen them a few times now but last year in Wembley Arena was by far the best. Incredibly intense, the audience were fantastic and the set-list was excellent (Lines in the Sand and Strange Deja-Vu!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Good musicians.

I am not a fan. I can't stand the progressive metal sound or whatever genre they are in. I own one of their albums (Change Of Season) so I can't say I didn't try.

I know that they were contacted for a show in Vicar St last year but couldn't do it as the place wouldn't be able to handle the set up. Seen them a few times now but last year in Wembley Arena was by far the best. Incredibly intense, the audience were fantastic and the set-list was excellent (Lines in the Sand and Strange Deja-Vu!).

That was my first, and only, time seeing them. Was unbelievable how good it was, just seeing people that can mix that well do it right in front of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Good musicians.

I am not a fan. I can't stand the progressive metal sound or whatever genre they are in. I own one of their albums (Change Of Season) so I can't say I didn't try.

Not really an album, more of an EP.

Still, it's probably their best song, so if you didn't like that you're right to stay well clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

saw them in 2005 in paris supporting iron maiden. great gig i imho. was first time i heard of them and now i have most of there albums and dvds. hope they play here soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Old thread, I know, but ... Dream Theater are up to something mysterious. The website has been updated ... I smell a Concept. :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

A double sided concept?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Yup, a Multi-disc concept album would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Interesting. I would love if they came out with an interesting concept album. The two factions they seem to have there makes me think it may really be an album of two very different halves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I really really want this to be good

More hope than expectation though :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeah same,

I've really lost faith the last few years though. Their more recent stuff just hasn't grabbed my attention. It's not that it's really bad, just not memorable.

All though I am biased in my longing for Awake/Scenes no. 2 :P

Somnus wrote: »
    Yeah same,

I've really lost faith the last few years though. Their more recent stuff just hasn't grabbed my attention. It's not that it's really bad, just not memorable.

All though I am biased in my longing for Awake/Scenes no. 2 :P

Exactly the same here.

New album is called the astonishing I think, tour dates and playing it in full next year

Mushy wrote: »
    Exactly the same here.

New album is called the astonishing I think, tour dates and playing it in full next year

As much as I don't have faith, I still really want it to be good :P Maybe we'll pleasantly surprised!

Somnus wrote: »
    As much as I don't have faith, I still really want it to be good :P Maybe we'll pleasantly surprised!

I think they're a victim of their own success. I've been listening to a lot of Metropolis part 2 and Awake lately...how could a band keep up that standard?

One of the finest tracks on their last album, a tribute to their heroes Rush and a fantastic performance for The Boston Opera House Live DVD. They're on form here and it's nicely mixed too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Just wondering if LaBrie would leave them one day who could replace him?

He's too much a part of their signature sound for them to continue without him but Roy Khan might be a worthy replacement if the unlikely did happen.

Mushy wrote:
    I think they're a victim of their own success. I've been listening to a lot of Metropolis part 2 and Awake lately...how could a band keep up that standard?

I know. They can't. You've named my two favourite albums of theirs. All though I do like all the albums up to Octavarium. Even if they aren't the standard of Awake and Metropolis, there's still some good songs their that have a sound I think of as theirs. It was really from Systematic Chaos on that I felt they were getting stale.

It would be a tough one. I can't think of anyone off hand. I know a lot of people aren't pushed on his voice but it really is part of their sound. It would be really strange hearing them play with another singer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

They bore the living **** out of me. I can't find anything of substance in this kid of metal, it seems to be really there for chin stroking. Bleh.

I'll take 1 good riff played for 20 minutes over 100 **** riffs and licks crammed into 7 minutes. Every time.

They bore the living **** out of me. I can't find anything of substance in this kid of metal, it seems to be really there for chin stroking. Bleh.

I'll take 1 good riff played for 20 minutes over 100 **** riffs and licks crammed into 7 minutes. Every time.

I think they suffer from this a bit more in their later albums tbh, trying to be something they think they should be as opposed to what comes naturally. Awake and Images & Words in particular don't have too many songs that go over the top in terms of complexity.

Metropolis definitely does tbf but it's still awesome :pac:

Got an email there from the site, not gonna lie it makes me a little bit excited :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think they suffer from this a bit more in their later albums tbh, trying to be something they think they should be as opposed to what comes naturally. Awake and Images & Words in particular don't have too many songs that go over the top in terms of complexity.

Metropolis definitely does tbf but it's still awesome :pac:

Got an email there from the site, not gonna lie it makes me a little bit excited :o

Threw this on there just to see if I'd think any different.

Took me longer than I should to have to work he's not singing "Sexy cunnt on a Christmas morning" :pac:

Anyway, nah, they don't do it for me I'm afraid. Heavy noise gates on the drums, it just sounds all round like video game music.

Ah that's fair enough, if it's not for you it's not for you.

Threw this on there just to see if I'd think any different.

Took me longer than I should to have to work he's not singing "Sexy cunnt on a Christmas morning" :pac:

Anyway, nah, they don't do it for me I'm afraid. Heavy noise gates on the drums, it just sounds all round like video game music.

Probably my favourite from that album, and definitely not one you can say there's no feel to.

I just read it there, and I dunno... It feels kinda... forced? It could just be my negative outlook coming through though! I assume we'll get another one soon from the other one.

It's not the best written piece of prose but I like the idea behind it. If it translates better into the music we could be onto something good.

I am being uncharacteristic optimistic though :o

Just stuck on Awake after reading this thread today :pac: been too long.

• Advertisement

Advertisement