Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Key Wedding

Options
  • 28-01-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Myself and the other half are having a very low key wedding this coming March. We have been together for over a decade with 2 children and put much more value in having a rainy day fund for the family or future college fees for the kids. This we appreciate much more than having an extravagant wedding.

We are looking to keep it so low key that we don't want to invite family or friends ,in case someone feels left out. Has anyone done this before and if so where would you recommend to get 2 witnesses for the day... or would anyone be nice enough to be our witness :) Getting married in a registry office in Dublin Mid March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I've heard people ask office and security staff around to act as witness, others ask strangers on the street, some ask in shops close by.
    I've even heard a call on the radio last year where a couple in Limerick asked for strangers to act as witness because they wanted to keep their wedding a secret.

I'm sure you'll find someone :)
    Congratulations and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’m sure you can pull someone in off the street. This is what’s stopping us from getting married in our local reg. office. I’d be afraid i wouldn’t be able to find a stranger, and might end up with Mary who was the year ahead of me in school but I didn’t really like, or some such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You could ask on the Dublin forum if anyone could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We invited two couples/best friends for my OH's surprise birthday party and when they arrived we headed off to the registry office. The surprise was on them. Back to a nice restaurant after for 6 people.
    We told everyone else in the following weeks.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Noone voiced any objection or complaint!

We invited two couples/best friends for my OH's surprise birthday party and when they arrived we headed off to the registry office. The surprise was on them. Back to a nice restaurant after for 6 people.
    We told everyone else in the following weeks.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Noone voiced any objection or complaint!

We did similar. Never regretted it. Congratulations and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

My husband and I had a very low key wedding and invited only our parents and siblings - we just asked our sisters to be the witnesses and went out for a set menu meal afterwards. Super cheap and nobody felt left out (or at least I haven't heard if they did!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Great to see others have done this!!
    We too will be doing this, in the next few months.. Only bringing 2 friends as witnesses, and will invite family out for a meal afterwards.. We’re actually more excited at the thoughts of this low key idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Great to see others have done this!!
    We too will be doing this, in the next few months.. Only bringing 2 friends as witnesses, and will invite family out for a meal afterwards.. We’re actually more excited at the thoughts of this low key idea!

'Bout time you got this sorted @NearlyForty tick tock :)

'Bout time you got this sorted @NearlyForty tick tock :)

Haha true that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

My husband and I had a really chilled out wedding. We had a church wedding with two friends as witnesses. We met our families after at the Lodge at Ashford Castle for some photos and twelve of us had dinner at Wilds restaurant. The staff there kindly set up one large table in a small room so it was very intimate.

We didn't have any music or a cake and retired to the bar after. It was the most fun and special day of our lives with minimal fuss.

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    My husband and I had a really chilled out wedding. We had a church wedding with two friends as witnesses. We met our families after at the Lodge at Ashford Castle for some photos and twelve of us had dinner at Wilds restaurant. The staff there kindly set up one large table in a small room so it was very intimate.

We didn't have any music or a cake and retired to the bar after. It was the most fun and special day of our lives with minimal fuss.

That sounds lovely! My idea of a chilled out wedding :-)

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Nice small intimate weddings are a success. The big wedding with the carvery style dinner, with the old Shielas getting wrote off on wine and handling lads on the dance floor are a thing of the past hopefully.
    Their husbands then scouring their pants from 23 pints of porter, listening to mind boring speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Nice small intimate weddings are a success. The big wedding with the carvery style dinner, with the old Shielas getting wrote off on wine and handling lads on the dance floor are a thing of the past hopefully.
    Their husbands then scouring their pants from 23 pints of porter, listening to mind boring speeches.

I’m an old Sheila now and be jasys if I want to “handle”a couple of young lads on the dance floor at a wedding after 5 or 6 Bacardi and Diet Coke’s I will, and they’ll like it too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

That sounds lovely! My idea of a chilled out wedding :-)

The hike up Croagh Patrick to get married in the church on top was a bit less chilled out but none the less, it was great fun :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    The hike up Croagh Patrick to get married in the church on top was a bit less chilled out but none the less, it was great fun :)

Brilliant!!

Advertisement