Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old condenser dryer v new one

Options
  • 17-02-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

We have a condenser dryer that's about 12 years old. It makes a rattling noise most of the time. I only use it to finish clothes after they have dried on clothes horse.
    So technically I don't need to change it. But I wonder would a new one be more efficient? Hate to think that this one may be using more electrity than a newer one would.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newer standard ones aren't much better, but you have heat pump based ones which are vastly more efficient and get the clothes drier than old condenser units, but you need to go for a very high end one or else you suffer from incredibly long run times

They are more efficient than vented dryers even at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to home Appliances

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Got a dryer a couple of weeks ago with Sensor drying and finding it very good especially given it stops as soon as the clothes are dry. I don't have anything to compare it to though bar our old washer/dryer which was poor for drying

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Cal04 wrote: »
    We have a condenser dryer that's about 12 years old. It makes a rattling noise most of the time. I only use it to finish clothes after they have dried on clothes horse.
    So technically I don't need to change it. But I wonder would a new one be more efficient? Hate to think that this one may be using more electrity than a newer one would.

i was using a the same condensor dryer i bought in 2005, just repaired each time. Heat sensor replacement. got last repair 1 year ago 150 euro. a few weeks later another part failed. bought a new condensor dryer. OH MY GOD the difference.
    It dried the clothes in a quarter of the time. the tech / design has definitly improved so it may well pay to buy a new condensor dryer. they are quite cheap when you consider repair costings

Advertisement