Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My very first step is...?

• 15-02-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,
    Mid terrace ex-council house - Dublin suburb.
    four houses in each row - no side entrance on ours.

I'd love to build a small kitchen extension out the back - not the full width of the back - maybe 15ft by 10ft.

BUT there are drains just outside my backdoor and under my small deck there is a wider manhole type thing, fairly deep (it can be accessed if needed but never has been). Not sure if the other neighbours have one of these of if our garden is the communal one.

Before I plan I want to know what my very first step is

Do I need an architect to come and look at what we need to do?
    Do I get a technical draftsperson to visit?
    or just a builder
    or if there are drains in place do I just forget the whole project as being too costly?

Long back garden in these 50's houses so I'd still have space.

Id love to hear your opinions and suggestions as the answers I get just might determine the whole thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dusteeroads

First step - look along the rear to see how many have done this before - and approach those who have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Go to the council and look at the OSI drainage map for the area. You need to find out if they are public or private drains. You would be hoping that they are private, as you can build over them. If public, you have to divert the lines which can be expensive.

Alternatively check out nearby planning applications online. They could feature the map as part of the application.

Advertisement