Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student

Options
  • 03-02-2019 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Want to go back to college in September and do a level 8 course. To date I have a bad leaving cert and a merit in a QQI level 5. I've done the cao and put down courses that require points in the 400/500s. Some of the courses require entrance exams I suppose to test my aptitude. Guess what I'm asking is how strict they are when it comes to their decision on whether to let you onto the course or not. I mean there's a lot less mature students than leaving cert students and a certain amount of places are set aside for mature students anyway. The colleges have nothing to lose by accepting me only I do if I drop out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Jp1506 wrote: »
    Want to go back to college in September and do a level 8 course. To date I have a bad leaving cert and a merit in a QQI level 5. I've done the cao and put down courses that require points in the 400/500s. Some of the courses require entrance exams I suppose to test my aptitude. Guess what I'm asking is how strict they are when it comes to their decision on whether to let you onto the course or not. I mean there's a lot less mature students than leaving cert students and a certain amount of places are set aside for mature students anyway. The colleges have nothing to lose by accepting me only I do if I drop out.

Generally they want to see:

1) Why do you want to do it
    2) What have you done to get a better idea of the jobs the degree leads too
    3) What academic steps have you taken so far. (Courses, deplomas, taking leaving cert subjects as an external candidate)
    4) What experience do you have in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

Generally they want to see:

1) Why do you want to do it
    2) What have you done to get a better idea of the jobs the degree leads too
    3) What academic steps have you taken so far. (Courses, deplomas, taking leaving cert subjects as an external candidate)
    4) What experience do you have in the area.

Yeah I know what they want to see but I'm jut wondering how strict they are. Like when you go back to study a new subject as a mature student for a career change they can't expect you to already have experience in that area. Sure you'd be telling the lecturer how to do there Job then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They want to be sure you'll be willing and able to finish and are not wasting their time and yours. You might think the colleges have nothing to lose if you drop out, but it means someone else who wanted a place and might have finished has been left out.

spurious wrote: »
    They want to be sure you'll be willing and able to finish and are not wasting their time and yours. You might think the colleges have nothing to lose if you drop out, but it means someone else who wanted a place and might have finished has been left out.

Yeah I get your point completely but say for a certain course theres 5 places allocated for mature students and only mature students and only 4 apply. Why should they deny you a place if you don't pass the entrance exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah I get your point completely but say for a certain course theres 5 places allocated for mature students and only mature students and only 4 apply. Why should they deny you a place if you don't pass the entrance exam.

Well if they don't feel an entrant is up to it academically at the moment, but has life experience that might balance that out, they might suggest an access or foundation course first, to get the person into the swing of writing academic essays. A level 8 degree generally requires a good Higher Level LC for entry.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Well if they don't feel an entrant is up to it academically at the moment, but has life experience that might balance that out, they might suggest an access or foundation course first, to get the person into the swing of writing academic essays. A level 8 degree generally requires a good Higher Level LC for entry.

Yeah it's good that there are other ways of getting in. But my point is that even if you don't pass the entrance exam why should they deny your 3000 euro, providing your not taking someone who did pass the entrance exams place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why are you making it so convoluted? If you really want to do it, apply. My experience is that colleges are very sympathetic to mature students and like having them as they offer a different attitude in the course. You have so many life skills at this stage that you are already streets ahead of younger students, even though your academic qualifications may not look great on paper. I did a course where in some regards I had more experience than the lecturers, but it was very mixed and the best thing was to just keep your head down and not make an exhibition of what you know. Everybody gets bored with a know-it-all in the class, you don't have to prove something every minute, just get the work done.

looksee wrote: »
    Why are you making it so convoluted? If you really want to do it, apply. My experience is that colleges are very sympathetic to mature students and like having them as they offer a different attitude in the course. You have so many life skills at this stage that you are already streets ahead of younger students, even though your academic qualifications may not look great on paper. I did a course where in some regards I had more experience than the lecturers, but it was very mixed and the best thing was to just keep your head down and not make an exhibition of what you know. Everybody gets bored with a know-it-all in the class, you don't have to prove something every minute, just get the work done.

I'm not making it convoluted I'm just worried in case I don't get into a course. You see I'll only be 24 in September (the year I hope to start) and all I've been doing the past few years is working so I don't really have much more life experience than school leavers. I done a FETAC level 5 when I left school but since then I've been working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And what do you think working does if not give you life experience? Just apply for the course. How is worrying going to improve the situation?

looksee wrote: »
    And what do you think working does if not give you life experience? Just apply for the course. How is worrying going to improve the situation?

I've been working the same job for the past 3 years. It's like groundhog day. Not much experience really. Ah no I have applied but I'm just seeing what other people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

It makes a difference to the college because they want to take on people who achieve something. No one is going to want to pay to go to a college that takes in 100 entrants and graduates 3. So each drop out looks bad for them. Its not just about your fee - its about trying to show they have a good reputation.

So they will take people they think will do well.

If you dont have a good leaving cert and have a merit in QQI level 5 then they may wonder what is different now that you think you will stick with and do well with a level 8 course. You might ask yourself the same thing, and figure out how to make it work.

....... wrote: »
    It makes a difference to the college because they want to take on people who achieve something. No one is going to want to pay to go to a college that takes in 100 entrants and graduates 3. So each drop out looks bad for them. Its not just about your fee - its about trying to show they have a good reputation.

So they will take people they think will do well.

If you dont have a good leaving cert and have a merit in QQI level 5 then they may wonder what is different now that you think you will stick with and do well with a level 8 course. You might ask yourself the same thing, and figure out how to make it work.

Yeah I understand its about there reputation aswell. I have a bad leaving and merit in a qqi level 5 because I was younger then and had no idea what I wanted to do. But now I know what I want to do so I just want a second chance. The leaving certificate and having to know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18/19 is a joke anyway and a discussion for a different day haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Yeah I know what they want to see but I'm jut wondering how strict they are. Like when you go back to study a new subject as a mature student for a career change they can't expect you to already have experience in that area. Sure you'd be telling the lecturer how to do there Job then.

It's not about how strict they are or aren't. It's about who you're up against for a place on the course. You need to make yourself stand out from everyone else.

If you're applying for law and you're up against a legal secretary with 5 years experience while you've been working in a warehouse for example. Who will get the place? Where as if you've been taking a pre-law night class, spent a day in a solicitors office, spent a few days observing a trial. They gap between you and the secretary is much narrower.

What degree are you applying for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Yeah I understand its about there reputation aswell. I have a bad leaving and merit in a qqi level 5 because I was younger then and had no idea what I wanted to do. But now I know what I want to do so I just want a second chance. The leaving certificate and having to know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18/19 is a joke anyway and a discussion for a different day haha.

While I dont disagree with you, lets try to spin your above paragraph in a more positive light:

When you were in school you did not know what you wanted to do with your future, and after you left and worked for some time you began think about where you wanted to be in life and to explore your interests and realised that you would really enjoy "course name" and with your experience in "whatever is your relevant experience" (or if you have no experience then you can say with your transferrable skills gained in the workplace), that you believe you have the capability to perform well in this course and go forward with it as a foundation for your future career in "whatever career". You believe that the maturity you have gained since your school days will stand to you and enable you to achieve your goals at third level.

Im just trying to get you into the mindset - in case you have to interview or write a personal statement or just chat to someone in the college. Go at it with all your bases covered.

On the subject of not knowing what you want to be when you are 18/19 - no one does!

Advertisement