Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drafting etiquette

Options
  • 25-01-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I am doing my first duathlon soon, and I have a query about drafting. I fully read through the rules. My question is on how they work in practice.

1. If you are going slightly faster than someone in front of you, but are about 70% confident that you can overtake them, should you go for it? What do you do if you catch them, but then can't get away from them?

2. If someone overtakes you but then slows to your speed in front of you, is it your own responsibility to drop back out of their draft zone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

MickeyTake wrote: »
    Hi,

I am doing my first duathlon soon, and I have a query about drafting. I fully read through the rules. My question is on how they work in practice.

1. If you are going slightly faster than someone in front of you, but are about 70% confident that you can overtake them, should you go for it? What do you do if you catch them, but then can't get away from them?

2. If someone overtakes you but then slows to your speed in front of you, is it your own responsibility to drop back out of their draft zone?

Thanks!

The answer to both of your queries is the same - if you pass someone it is their responsibility to drop back until they can re-overtake you. Whether this happens in practice or not is an entirely different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Be prepared to try your best to stick to the rules while watching Conga lines passing...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bear in mind in some races if you go to pass you have to complete the move, dropping back without passing can incur a penalty.

Once you pass someone, its their problem to get out of the draft zone. Ditto if someone passes you, either drop back or pass again.

You will see blatant drafting, even if a cheat peleton swallows you its your responsibility to get away and not draft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

now there is a blast from the past. does this suggest a return?

or just boredom :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mossym wrote: »
    now there is a blast from the past. does this suggest a return?

or just boredom :)
    A return to life after a nasty few years :) Wont be like before tho.

Sorry OP for the sideline :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement