Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a nosey person please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/carefully-restored-redbrick-in-clontarf-26683482.html

If that's a neighbouring house, it says it dates from the 1900's.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

I think the house in question - 29 Victoria Rd - is in fact there on the 1911 census, but was no.1. ( nos. in census are often different from modern nos.) Checking the 12" map on osi.ie confirms that this house was the first on the road (going left to right) at that time. The House and Buildings return form lists it as having 8 windows, the house in your pic has much more, but perhaps there was a rule whereby a bay window with 3 sides was counted as 1.
    Assuming I have the right house, then the occupier was Robert Russell and family, and he gave his occupation as Fellow of TCD. Searching the TCD website reveals that Russell was Mathematics professor in 1917.

So who knows, maybe there are interesting stories about the house, but I leave it to someone else to come up with stories of what the mathematician got up to in his big house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I think the house in question - 29 Victoria Rd - is in fact there on the 1911 census, but was no.1. ( nos. in census are often different from modern nos.) Checking the 12" map on osi.ie confirms that this house was the first on the road (going left to right) at that time. The House and Buildings return form lists it as having 8 windows, the house in your pic has much more, but perhaps there was a rule whereby a bay window with 3 sides was counted as 1.
    Assuming I have the right house, then the occupier was Robert Russell and family, and he gave his occupation as Fellow of TCD. Searching the TCD website reveals that Russell was Mathematics professor in 1917.

So who knows, maybe there are interesting stories about the house, but I leave it to someone else to come up with stories of what the mathematician got up to in his big house.
    Well I'm astounded by your research skills, fair play to you. Very impressive !
    Mathematics Professors must have been on serious salaries back then :D
    Perhaps there was family money knocking around. Did he fill all those rooms with paying students. Well done Kildare John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

jos28 wrote: »
    I pass this house on my way to work everyday and it brings out the nosey part of me. ....

Interesting post. This happens to me a lot. There is one building around the Chapelizod area I've often wondered about but haven't been able to stop the car near enough to get a picture. I'd love if this thread were to continue with more enquiries. However, residents might be unhappy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Good point JB, it would be a great idea for a thread. You never know, the residents might be delighted :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement