Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

1333435363739»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Thargor wrote: »
    You'd think the Irish ones would be cheap aswell trying to crack America.

Yeah, some would probably do it for next to nothing just because being in a HBO show is massive exposure if you do a decent job, could easily lead to more parts in other shows and grow from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One of my abiding nuances of the show was Micky Doyle's little nervous titter after the odd sentence, or when he cracked a joke. I think even in the most recent season when he was trying to recruit drivers for Nucky and went down to the railyard where all the unemployed men were gathered around a fire and he quipped: "Any of you guys see my pie? I was leaving cool outside my kitchen window" :D

Loveable rogue. Great character acting too

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

One of my abiding nuances of the show was Micky Doyle's little nervous titter after the odd sentence, or when he cracked a joke. I think even in the most recent season when he was trying to recruit drivers for Nucky and went down to the railyard where all the unemployed men were gathered around a fire and he quipped: "Any of you guys see my pie? I was leaving cool outside my kitchen window" :D

He was played very well. I enjoyed how he was found so annoying by other characters and yet he always managed to live for another day.

Like when he picked Eli up from prison in Series 3. Mickey makes a terrible joke and does his nervous titter and all Eli can do is ask "Mickey, how the **** are you still alive?"

Haha I loved that! At first I thought I was gonna hate it but a few episodes in he'd already become a kind of comedy relief character. He took a lot of sh!t but still stuck around too. As serious as the show was at times, it had some great humour at others. Still thinking back at some of Van Alden's mannerisms and cracking up laughing.

He was played very well. I enjoyed how he was found so annoying by other characters and yet he always managed to live for another day.

Like when he picked Eli up from prison in Series 3. Mickey makes a terrible joke and does his nervous titter and all Eli can do is ask "Mickey, how the **** are you still alive?"

Lold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

And Eli killing the guy in his garage, ***GAME OF THRONES SPOILER:***
    was similar to the prince's death in season 4 against the mountain when it showed the head absolutely crushed. I was cringing hard as fuk for both, stuff like that is needed in shows though, really emerges you in the show and explicitly shows you just how bad the people are, whereas shows on sh!ttier networks can't even include curses or mediocre violence which ruins the experience

About that guy Eli killed in his garage, unless I missed it there was never anything about that again was there? That guy was one of the aldermen wasn't he? and he was having second thoughts about siding with Eli/Jimmy/Commodore over Nucky? So he would have been a fairly "big deal" and you'd imagine there'd be questions asked about his disappearance? But I don't think it was ever mentioned?

Like every other murder came out in the end even if it took a couple of seasons in some cases, like Gillian killing Jimmy's lookalike or Van Alden killing his fellow prohibition agent. Even Eli and Nucky killing Hans Schroeder in episode one kept being brought up. But unless I've missed it that murder by Eli was never mentioned again by anyone?

About that guy Eli killed in his garage, unless I missed it there was never anything about that again was there? That guy was one of the aldermen wasn't he? and he was having second thoughts about siding with Eli/Jimmy/Commodore over Nucky? So he would have been a fairly "big deal" and you'd imagine there'd be questions asked about his disappearance? But I don't think it was ever mentioned?

Like every other murder came out in the end even if it took a couple of seasons in some cases, like Gillian killing Jimmy's lookalike or Van Alden killing his fellow prohibition agent. Even Eli and Nucky killing Hans Schroeder in episode one kept being brought up. But unless I've missed it that murder by Eli was never mentioned again by anyone?

Now that I think about it I can't remember anything being said about it either

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Eli did get his deputy to help dump the body, so there was only the two who knew what happened.

I think and I could very well be mistaken on this, that during Nucky's court case it was mentioned that the alderman was missing and assumed to have fled Atlantic City. I could be just picking that out of thin air though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

5starpool wrote: »
    Her accent sounds like the Ryanair safety announcement voice where it is vaguely Irish but slowed down and over enunciated to within an inch of it's life. Surely they could have got an Irish person to play an Irish person, it's not like there is a shortage.

Her accent is not that bad. It could be worse compared to the likes of Kevin Spacey and Tom Cruise.

Her Dublin accent was alright in "intermission"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3m6wVmOZxc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt4484722/ very good show should intrest most who seen boardwalk empire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Watching atm, great show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

It’s one of the best tv shows ever in my opinion. I haven’t watched it in years but I think they got the amount of seasons/episodes right. There may have been a “bum” season or few episodes around the time of the writers strike in the US but apart from that amazing story and acting from a good few supporting/unknown actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i watched it all, week by week, when it came out. overall, i found it incredibly slow moving at times, and there were some characters who i just lost complete interest in over time. but still well worth checking out. maybe it works better by block watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Season 3 with Gyp Rosetti was phenomenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ardent wrote: »
    Season 3 with Gyp Rosetti was phenomenal

The best baddie I have ever seen on telly. Enhanced by Bobby Canavale's amazing portrayal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,310 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funny thing was, before Boardwalk, I was most familiar with Bobby Cannavale as Cupid in the Cupid tv series reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I still can't understand why they didn't do a spin off after it finished. It set up an Al Capone series perfectly I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I still can't understand why they didn't do a spin off after it finished. It set up an Al Capone series perfectly I thought

Or the rise of the New York gangs, Luciano, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

Personally I was super pissed the jump the big war at the end of the 20's. At the time the rumor was the makers were wanting to make vinyl and ****ed up the last season on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The best baddie I have ever seen on telly. Enhanced by Bobby Canavale's amazing portrayal.

Gotta agree, he used to make me nervous everytime he appeared on screen.

I was very relieved at the end of that season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Finished season 5, Richard Harrow. That hurt me

Advertisement