Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thanks a mil

Some semblance of normality has returned for me some nights of the week and with that body is starting to feel better. Managed two TTs last week which went ok.

Thursday 9th July Club League - 16km TT
    https://strava.app.link/s4fFVt3867

Id never raced this circuit in the league before but know the road well (old Dublin/Ashbourne Rd). Surface is ok for the most part and some draggy climbs here and there but mostly flat. I pushed the first little climb fairly hard without going too deep, its in the opening 2km so important to not go too hard! From memory there was a very slight head/side wind on the way out and tail/side wind home. It was nothing major but it made the long stretch before Ashbourne roundabout a mentally challenging! I tried to overwork the first half a little knowing wind conditions and then hoped to hang on over the way back. I overworked the dragged bits and tried to get steady on the flats. I'm on a 54 Q-ring with a 12 on the back and really needed a 56 or so for some sections of downhill. I was spinning like crazy but only pushing high 200W's! Lost a little cos of this but nothing major. In the end I recorded a 20:57. 376AP/380NP was well down from what i've been doing 2 months ago but time was a good improvement on my best before 16km. Hopefully I can get power back up for the clubs 16km champs race in August and might try borrow a disc for the rear. I've managed 30-40W more for 20mins a few times 2/3 months back so if I can even get form back a little more I should be able to get power closer to 400/410W. With a disc and on a good condition night id love to try crack a very low 20min. Bit of an ask but I think doable. Best bike split had me as a 20:15 for 390W AP so I reckon the site isn't far off!

Sunday 12th July Seven Springs 40km Open TT
    https://strava.app.link/x8O4085867

Not much to say about this one other than I didn't hurt myself near enough! I just didn't have the mental strength on the day to hold Hr near threshold! Ended up with AHR 9BPM lower than threshold and had far too much left in the tank. One of those days I just couldn't hurt! We'd a tailwind out and headwind back and hence I tried to hold a little in the first half. Maybe I got a little too comfortable in that first half and then couldn't bring myself to really hurt the second half. I don't know but I was fairly disappointed. I have visions of a low 54 and perhaps even sub 54 but todays effort was a long way from that. Ended up 8th place in a time of 55:38 and 348AP/356NP. I hadn't really analysed the course beforehand and had plenty of sections of spinning out so should have gone better really, certainly should have cracked the 55 mark. Its the first 40km TT I've done in 2 years so plenty learned for the club champs race next month!

Other than those I cycled pretty much every other day with 1 session of 30-45s sprints/1:15-1:30 off x 20 and an attempt at a 2 x 15 at 95% which failed miserably, more head strength than leg strength! Did it fine the week before on the road.

Diet has been shocking the past 6 weeks so need to correct that and hope to have some form for mid to late August

So much for 2020! :o

Not sure what to make of 2021 but I've been trying in recent weeks to get back to some form of regular exercise. A Garmin challenge setup by one of the fellow contributors here got me attempting to run regularly again. Id ventured out a little over Xmas and did a few lunchtime runs in January. Unfortunately i absolutely made a bollox of my calf on one of these runs that took me out for over 2 weeks, I've not ran since! It got extremely tight about 2km from the office and by the time i was back i was limping. A day later my right calf was swollen and bruising appeared around the ankle. Ive never done anything like that before! I'm back on the bike now but not daring run yet as i can still feel a slight sharp pain on the very bottom of it if i point out my toes.

I don't know if i'm bothered joining TI this year, with limited time, no pool available and the uncertainty regarding any racing i reckon ill focus on cycling again this year but try to run at least 2 times a week. Not sure if this log should be in the triathlon forum now! I do hope to go back to triathlon and ill sue this year to build to 2021. As much as i enjoy cycling ill never be much good and whilst i wont be near the proper triathlete in Ireland id like to think i can get back to winning a few of the smaller races and pushing for top 10/15s in the more competitive ones. Ultimately my heart is still with tri :D

Im hoping that there are some races in August/September so i'm trying to get into "winter" training now, aiming to cycle 5 to 6 days a week and run twice. I dont think im coming from too far back, a TI TT last night has informed me that my threshold is 345. Ill dial it back a little from that as there was no 5min anaerobic clearance effort beforehand but i did manage to hold 356W for the 34mins. Id gotten to about 390 last year, it would be nice to get that over 400W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Cheers for the update Eddie. My heart is still with tri too, I can never bring myself to not do one of the disciplines...even though I know it would be so much easier! Not that I do much but I like to keep ticking over. I hope the running injury gets sorted, sounds nasty.

Last week was a bike only week again. Going to get the runners out this Wednesday and start again.

Cycled 5 of the 7 days last week for a total of 6.5hrs. Just an ok week. I was busy some evenings with a job application so it took priority but out of the 5 days 3 were hard sessions - a TTT on zwift on Tuesday, another zwift race Friday and the Cycling Ireland race on Saturday. I was in bits after the CI race although zwift and TP told me that i had again increased by FTP. Ive a problem with my power meter at the moment so power is based off the Kickr for now. It matches very very close however which id proven across numerous zwift races last year when i had to show results of dual recording for certain races. I'm aiming to get a test done early March and i hope i can figure out issue with the P2M by then as i would prefer to be using it. The crank seems to be bent in that when i pedal the chain moves sideways in the front derailleur, the more pressure i put on the more pronounced it is! I did try new PF cups but might try it once more before condemning the crank (a Rotor 3D+)

Advertisement