Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday morning telly

Options
  • 23-10-2003 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened to the good ol' days of Saturday morning television?

Going Live with Philip Schofield, Sarah Greene and Gordon the Gopher has got to have been the best evar! They've been showing some clips of it lately on those TV Years programs.
    Live and Kicking was great too.
    Then there was also Ghost train, Parallel 9, Motormouth and a good few others.

Well, what do you remember/miss?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by oneweb
    Well, what do you remember/miss?

2 very scary words when combined:

Timmy Mallett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Well I miss Transformers on the Fun Factory (sky one) but in fairness I think Ant and dec were great even if they are recent and I think Saterday Morning TV is as good as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i never got up in time to see fun facory, but i always uised to watch the DJ Kat Show after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

DJ Kat! :eek: Holy crap, now there's a blast from the past! I thought I was the only person who remembered DJ Kat. Back in the days when Sky One was still called Sky Channel and was being run from Holland, I think. Or something like that!

*waits for one of the people from ICDG to come on and correct me*

Yeah, he lived in a dirty, dingy alleyway basement or something, didn't he, and had a chain around his neck in the shape of a fishbone? And he had some female Dutch co-presenter (who was pretty good looking, if i remember correctly! :D) as well. Maybe that's where I'm getting the idea that Sky was still being run from Holland by that De Mol fella at the time and that I'm completely wrong here, that it actually had been bought out by Murdoch at that time but the Dutch girl was still making me think it was still De Mol's operation. Someone from ICDG, please come and clear up all this scatter-brained mess for me! :D

Oh yeah, back on topic, I remember DJ Kat. And all the other shows mentioned too. I think Saturday morning television started going seriously downhill about the mid - late 1990's. It just hasn't been the same since.

But, oneweb, how could you have possibly left out Anything Goes and Scratch Saturday? Okay, I do know the answer to that, probably because they were pretty crap! :D

By the way, speaking of Transformers (which was a class cartoon), does anyone remember a cartoon called (I think) Centurions? I think it used to be on the ITV Saturday morning show that had Gaz Top and that green snotty alien thing, if anyone can remember that programme? It was about these guys who wore these suits that they could attach various things to like wings and jetpacks to make them fly and laser cannons and stuff. Anyone remember that cartoon? Anyone? Please? Or am I just imagining things again? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    does anyone remember a cartoon called (I think) Centurions? I think it used to be on the ITV Saturday morning show that had Gaz Top and that green snotty alien thing, if anyone can remember that programme? It was about these guys who wore these suits that they could attach various things to like wings and jetpacks to make them fly and laser cannons and stuff. Anyone remember that cartoon? Anyone? Please? Or am I just imagining things again? :D

I'll direct you over here for all your Centurions needs! I can just about remeber that cartoon, but wasn't the green snotty alien called Gilbert or something, still can't re-call the name of the Saturday morning program though.

• Advertisement

Okie, I just checked the link you posted in the other thread and that is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for that, at least now I know I wasn't going mad and that cartoon actually did exist! :D

And, you're right, the green, snotty alien was indeed called Gilbert and I think that the name of the TV show was "Get Fresh" or something like that. It was based in a great big kind of spaceship thingy and each week it would "touch down" in a different part of the UK. At least, if I remember correctly and my mind isn't playing tricks again, that was the whole idea of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Swap Shop :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DJ Kat was on SUPER CHANNEL
    otherwise it would imply that SKY had a history of producing half-decent programs... :D

http://www.anime.dds.nl/Djkat.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/8375/pics2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

You robbed me idea

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=118772&goto=newpost

But I'll let you away with it just this once cos you're talkin aboot the good telly I remember. Although I don't remember much. That wackaday (was it Saturdays?) was something I'd rather forget though.

I have to tell you, davil, that I actually have the Wacaday theme tune on my PC here! :D

Of course I remember Wacaday, as well. Started out life as the Wide Awake Club and that was renamed Wacaday shortly afterwards, I think. Let's face it, who could forget the awfulness that was Timmy Mallet, eh? And "Mallet's Mallet", that game he used to play with two kids with his giant sponge mallet (actually, that sounds a bit strange and sick, if you think about it! :eek:). I can even remember the noise it used to make when he'd hit someone on the head with it. It was kind of like:

BONG BONG... DING.... BONG

Of course, even though it was crap we'd still watch it because we were kids and didn't know better, I guess. Though, even though we were kids, we still knew Timmy Mallet was a dickhead! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Has anyone seen the programme on Den Tv on Saturday mornings? OMG bad state of affairs altogether!

Can't say I know of the one you're talking about, Sparkle, but you've just reminded me of another god-awful programme they show on The Den in the mornings. Some Australian programme called High 5, or something like that. I saw your man on "The Blizzard Of Odd" taking the piss out of it last night. There's these couple of really hot looking women on it, which is nice, but it's spoilt then by these two really camp guys jumping around the place like a couple of complete sacs! And the whole show and everything is so f**king cheesey and the presenters look like they're really having to force the lines out. As your man said on Blizzard last night, the presenters are probably thinking to themselves, "All my mates are off acting on Neighbours and I'm stuck doing this sh!te!" :D

Has anyone else seen this load of Aussie bollocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I remember getting up so early sometimes for the kids shows that the BBC test card was still on and Id be staring at this picture of a girl and IIRC a balloon man playing x and o on a blackboard,just waiting for the bloody programmes to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I remember the wide awake club and wackadays and I think at one stage he wore two baseball caps on on either side of his head, what a g*mp!! Anyway do you remember, Mr. Dunne, if there was something in one of his later dodgy shows about a kid being asked questions and if they didn't get enough right a little stick man fell in some goo?????? It's just a vague memory I have, if you could clear this up for me pleez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    ....(who was pretty good looking, if i remember correctly! :D) as well. Maybe that's where I'm getting the idea that Sky was still being run from Holland by that De Mol fella at the time and that I'm completely wrong here, that it actually had been bought out by Murdoch at that time but the Dutch girl was still making me think it was still De Mol's operation. Someone from ICDG, please come and clear up all this scatter-brained mess for me! :D:D

jesus christ, what age were u? i was only young when DJ Kat was on and i didnt even know of the existence of Holland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Aidan, I have indeed seen the High 5 group on the telly and it is sickenly bad. One of my friends' baby cousins makes her sit down and watch episodes that never end, over and over. Awful stuff altogether.
    Speaking of Saturday TV in general, does anybody remember the older episodes of Noels House Party?? Genius! I used to love that programme.
    Going live was a favourite on Saturdays and there was also a cartoon on ITV called Samurai Pizza Cats. I am not imaginging this. Look: http://www.two4u.com/pizzacats/what_en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by evie
    Speaking of Saturday TV in general, does anybody remember the older episodes of Noels House Party?? Genius! I used to love that programme.
    I remember it fondly! Used to try slip home from work a few minutes early to catch it all! Lost the tape which had the aerial camera shot up to and into the castle & the theme tune for the opening credits :( Don't suppose anyone has even just that bit on tape? I'd pay to get it. (One of the best camera work I've seen)

It is what it's.

Originally posted by davil
    Anyway do you remember, Mr. Dunne, if there was something in one of his later dodgy shows about a kid being asked questions and if they didn't get enough right a little stick man fell in some goo?????? It's just a vague memory I have, if you could clear this up for me pleez.

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. Doesn't ring any bells for me, anyway.
    Originally posted by The_B_Man
    jesus christ, what age were u? i was only young when DJ Kat was on and i didnt even know of the existence of Holland!

Well, let's see. I remember watching DJ Kat around 1987 when Sky One was still called Sky Channel and was an independent station in it's own right, a couple of years before the launch of the whole integrated Sky network of Sky One, Sky News and Sky Movies. So, to answer your question, I would have been about 9 years of age.

Okay, now, when you say the "older episodes" are we still talking about the Noel's House Party which was broadcast in the early to mid 1990's? From Crinkley Bottom? With bits such as NTV (where they would set up hidden cameras in someone's living room), and the gunge tank thing? Or are we talking about the similar show Noel Edmonds had way back in the 1980's (Christ, I'm really going to show my age now! :D) called Noel's Late, Late Breakfast Show? My memory of that show is a bit vague nowadays but I do remember it, one thing in particular being a contest where they would get two people to jump in and out of a pair of underpants repeatedly, the winner being the person who managed to jump in and out of it the most number of times in a minute, or something like that.

Now, once again, I have to ask the question, does anybody else remember that, the underpants-jumping thing in particular, or was that something else I imagined or possibly had some sort of weird dream about? Please, somebody tell me you do and I'm not going crazy again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I think he's talking about Noel's House Party. I loved that show. Watched it every week. The thing I liked about it was that it was live. Noel would pop up during the credits for the previous show telling you what was coming up, and it just felt like anything could happen, especially when somebody would get the giggles, or the staff would play a prank on Noel that he wasn't expecting, or somebody would turn up at the door that he wasn't expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best Saturday morning programme was the Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, although if you wanted something a bit more anarchic there was always Tiswas with the lovely Sally James and her tight t-shirts. Mmmmmm........... :p

[/url]

Wait 'til I get you home! That was the business!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Busy Hands

Some of Noel's gotchas were class as well, okay there was some drivel, but the majority were very well put together and carried out. Poor old Richard 'Countdown' Whitely was made look a right fool ..... even for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Noel Edmunds - all fun & games till someone gets killed ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by zaph
    Best Saturday morning programme was the Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, although if you wanted something a bit more anarchic there was always Tiswas

Glad someone mentioned these 2 before me so I'm not the only one showing my age! :D

Originally posted by Busy Hands
    Some of Noel's gotchas were class as well, okay there was some drivel, but the majority were very well put together and carried out. Poor old Richard 'Countdown' Whitely was made look a right fool ..... even for him.

Ant and Dec have taken up where he left off....some of their 'gotcha' type skits on Saturday night takeaway were fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by aine
    Ant and Dec have taken up where he left off....some of their 'gotcha' type skits on Saturday night takeaway were fantastic!
    Saturday Night Takeaway is brilliant! Can't wait for it to come back. They won a National Television Award during the week!

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Originally posted by Okie
    I'll direct you over here for all your Centurions needs! I can just about remeber that cartoon, but wasn't the green snotty alien called Gilbert or something, still can't re-call the name of the Saturday morning program though.

I remember that show... used to love watching that cartoon and the programme was called Ghost Train *sigh* what a blast from the past that is!!!

Does anyone remember Number73 that Neil Buchannon used to present with Sandi Tozphig (or whatever her name is... I cannae spell it... its pronounced tocksfig I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Any of you remember MASK, think it was on the Wide Awake Club... I was crazy about that cartoon, cant remember much about it except that the bad dude was called Myles Mayhem, I even had the sticker album :D ... plus I fancied the girl that used to present it with Timmy Mallet and some other dude, think her name was Machala Strachan, could be wrong...
    Also was into Thundercats, Danger Mouse, Transformers (plus the Transformers rip-off cartoon Gobots) ... The were the good days :p oh yeah, and of course He-man ... cant leave hime out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by aine
    em...what about Padjo's Junkbox?!!! remember the mad scientist? 'believe it if you like!!!@

I remember that, good show. They changed it after a season or 2, to Pajo and the Salty Frog- that was a boat wasn't it?

Advertisement