Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Had no idea what it was about when i started it. Turns out its about Zombie Vampires. First third was excellent, not so sure about the second third but im sure the story will pick up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

Taking ages as usual...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

"Black Diamonds: The Rise and Fall of a Great English Dynasty" by Catherine Bailey
    Wentworth House is in Yorkshire and was surrounded by 70 collieries employing tens of thousands of men. It is the finest and largest Georgian house in Britain and belonged to the Fitzwilliam family. It is England's forgotten palace which belonged to Britain's richest aristocrats.

Black Diamonds tells the story of its demise: family feuds, forbidden love, class war, and a tragic and violent death played their part. But coal, one of the most emotive issues in twentieth century British politics, lies at its heart. This is the extraordinary story of how the fabric of English society shifted beyond recognition in fifty turbulent years in the twentieth century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Round Ireland With A Fridge by Tony Hawks (Surprisingly funny) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

Revenge of the Babysat (Calvin and Hobbes) - Bill Watterson

The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin (only just starting)

To echo some other posters I love Stephen King also, I have Full Dark No Stars but I have yet to get around to reading it. Love the way he writes, the tone/style is so different to other writers (I know all writers have a different style but his is so unique... can't really explain it). Bag of Bones is chillingly brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just starting George Pelecanos ,The Way Home- haven't read a decent book in a few weeks,hope this is okay as I don't have any others to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

Azureus wrote: »
    Reading Agent 6 at the moment, third book by Tom Rob Smith (Child 44).
    Pretty disappointing compared to his first to be honest-but then again that was one of my favourite ever books.

Also reading Lee Childs The Visitor in work, one of my fave of his so far.

Child 44 is one of my favourites ever. I've several on the go at the moment. Saturday by Ian McEwan, boring but sticking with it because I loved Atonement. Some Michael Connelly book, Bridehead Revisited and one other, I like to mix it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ireland's Arctic Siege, The big freeze of 1947.

Ordered it last week and it arrived today, already hooked, been dying to find something to read about this for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (Translated from the French by Alison Anderson)

Delightful.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Just finished reading 'The Book of General Ignorance' - it's the stuff that Fry brings up in QI - interesting trivia - it's a good casual read. Some funny bits, but nothing exceptional. I would score it 3.5 out of 5.

A few chapters into Michael McIntyre's Life And Laughing at the moment - man is no literary genius, but he writes exactly like how he does stand up - and that's not a bad thing. It's not comparable to say Frank Skinner's autobiography, it's more straight forward observational comedy built around his memories. Another easy read, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Started on Phillipe Auclairs biography of Eric Cantona - excellent read so far.

Finished this recently - supurb book.

Currently reading Stephen King's Full Dark No stars - which is a collection of novellas - quite good although 1st one was bit too long.

Also reading "The Ghost Runner" - by Bill Jones - which is decent but bit too long - fairly obvious it started life as an excellent magazine article

Finally also reading "Fermat's Last theroem" by Simon Singh which is excellent (even for non-mathamaticians like me!) - really good book is ye like any sciency type books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Book two of the wheel of time. slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Has anyone read reamde or whatever you call it, it's sitting on a shelf looking at me (well it's in the next room, but still).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

groovie wrote: »
    Has anyone read reamde or whatever you call it, it's sitting on a shelf looking at me (well it's in the next room, but still).

Havent read it but:
    Writing in the Irish Examiner, Val Nolan called Reamde "one of the smartest, fastest-moving, and most consistently enjoyable novels of the year". It is, Nolan went on, a "painstakingly-researched, deftly-plotted roller-coaster of gigabytes and gunplay, a pitch-perfect pastiche of Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancy-style techno-thrillers and a comment on contemporary digitality and the ubiquity of online interconnectivity."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Only recently finished Doctor Zhivago. It was decent, though it took quite a while to end. The pace was a bit of a problem for me: at some parts it went really slow, at others it flew by.

Currently re-reading American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

It's a really good historical fiction book, puts a whole new spin on the JFK years. Incredibly in-depth, complicated plots and, like other Ellroy books, the ending comes from nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Red April. Just started it but it seems ok so far.

Recently finished The Lock Artist which was fairly enjoyable, and The Sisters Brothers which was also good, if a bit short.

I have Birdsong on the bedside locker. I've been picking up and putting back this book in the shop for ages, so I think its time we eventually tackled each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

RichieC wrote: »
    Havent read it but:

I get the feeling that guy didn't read it either:D, thanks for the quote though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Moments by various female Irish authors, so far so good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Hacienda, by Peter Hook

Proper mental :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Collection of short stories by HP Lovecraft. Some are a bit mystifying but others are very good. All are weird :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hitchikers guide to the galaxy trilogy (in four parts). Cant believe I havent read it already, loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

No country for old men.

Terse, gripping, excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time #4).

First book was excellent. The second and third were pretty good too. Going well so far in #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

The hare with the Amber eyes.

It's ok so far, has a comfy feel to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Re-reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Aldebaran wrote: »
    A Clash of Kings, about 100 pages to go.

Got the boxset last month. Started 'A Storm of Swords' yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky

Would definitely recommend it! :-)

A brilliant and very sincere read, you have to really invest yourself totally with a book like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

"The Hand of God" by Jimmy Burns. Good portrait of the darker side of Diego Maradona.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Temple of the Dawn - Yukio Mishima, it contains some of the most startlingly beautiful imagery I have ever read and immersive descriptions of historical Thailand and India, another immaculately written book of his Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

The Enneads - Plotinus, a key neo-platonist, with a a most inspirational work proving that philosophy cannot be merely an intellectual pursuit but one of higher action and self-ordering.

"Knowledge, if it does not determine action, is dead to us." (Plotinus)

Withdraw into yourself and look. And if you do not find yourself beautiful yet, act as does the creator of a statue that is to be made beautiful: he cuts away here, he smoothes there, he makes this line lighter, this other purer, until a lovely face has grown upon his work. So do you also... (Plotinus)

God is not external to anyone, but is present with all things, though they are ignorant that he is so. (Plotinus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

A game of Thrones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Long Way Round.

Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman.

Great book.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Iron Kingdom
    The Rise and Downfall of Prussia 1600-1917

It's like a coffee table book for me at this stage. Such a history nerd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Just finished the great gatsby and now onto finally 'ulysees', wish me luck:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Atms can't read books. Why even ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went to a charity shop the other day, favourite place to pick up books! They were all 2 for €1. Got a few Stephen King books that I hadn't read. Currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I'm over halfway through so I'll persevere. It's won loads of awards so I feel like I SHOULD be enjoying it more than I am :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ben Hogan - An American Life, halfway through.

and just got The Physics Book, a coffee book about 250 milestones in Physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy..

And its bloody awful. Too much time spent describing the smallest of details and not enough story time as such.
    I'll finish it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Am reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Absolutely brilliant. Delighted to see he has 2 new books coming out in 2012, a sequel to The Shining, and another Dark Tower book:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Slattsy wrote: »
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy..

And its bloody awful. Too much time spent describing the smallest of details and not enough story time as such.
    I'll finish it all the same.

It's supposed to conjure a nightmarish mood. I can understand not liking it though. I stopped reading it, too ****ing depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Started to read Armenian Golgotha....a book belonging to the OH. Tough. Put it down but will make an effort again......starting on Page 10 this time!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Went to a charity shop the other day, favourite place to pick up books! They were all 2 for €1. Got a few Stephen King books that I hadn't read. Currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm struggling with it a bit, but I'm over halfway through so I'll persevere. It's won loads of awards so I feel like I SHOULD be enjoying it more than I am :o
    White Teeth is really funny. It's an easy enough read. Good book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Mindkiller wrote: »
    White Teeth is really funny. It's an easy enough read. Good book

Yeah it is very funny, but I'm just not really enthralled by the story. Looking forward to finishing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Picked up "girl with the dragon tattoo", "the god delusion" and "half of a yellow sun" in a charity shop in dun drum for 1.50 the other day. Great bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I just started The Reader by Bernhard Schlink today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Jacques Derrida - The Truth in Painting

College stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I am reading..''True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary'' by St.Louis de montfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've just started Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Frankie Boyle - My Sh1t Life So Far. Only on Chapter 6.

Wouldn't be a massive fan of his tbh, think he overdoes it with the whole 'I'm not PC business', but so far this has been absolutely hilarious. It's like one big collection of 'Scenes We'd Like to See' in narrative form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Finished Michael McIntyre's Life and Laughing (not bad, 3.5/5) and Booker prize winning 'The White Tiger' - which was a surprise. Why but why?! It's mediocre at best. It's content could be shocking to non-Indians, but it's just... sigh!

Thinking I'll start The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, it's about Henrietta Lacks, whose cells still live on in various labs around the world decades after she passed away. Heard about it in NPR about a year ago - only getting around to reading it now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement