Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfurnished?

Options
  • 03-09-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Our old tenants have moved out and we're renovating currently.

While they were good enough tenants they did a lot of the more typical issues - dried clothes on the kitchen chairs which are now all black and the varnish is gone, didn't dust, didn't clean or defrost the appliances. As a consequence I'm taking the opportunity to fit a new kitchen, new floors, new bathroom etc..

I'm seriously considering letting this unfurnished going forward.
    Pros:
    no cost replacing furniture, and no damages going forward
    longer term tenants more likely

Cons:
    smaller tenant pool

Am I missing anything obvious? Seems, in the current market, a no brainer, but thats built on the premise that there's a pool of such tenants. Is there such a pool?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would go with unfurnished. Tenants do respect the new furniture that is put in. As is at the moment there is so much demand there is no need to purchase furniture unless you are in a very low demand area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd 100% definitely go unfurnished.
    You might be surprised- your tenant pool is very likely a good deal larger than you imagine.
    Lots of people would welcome the opportunity to use their own furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tenant pool will undoubtably be smaller so you'll probably only have 100 or so applicants.

Haha!
    Seriously though- renting unfurnished is not going to be any impediment to getting decent tenants- I'd argue that tenants who furnish the place themselves are more likely to take far better care of the place- than those who are supplied with Ikea or similar furniture that they view as cheap replaceable crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Haha!
    Seriously though- renting unfurnished is not going to be any impediment to getting decent tenants- I'd argue that tenants who furnish the place themselves are more likely to take far better care of the place- than those who are supplied with Ikea or similar furniture that they view as cheap replaceable crap.

+ 1 million.

Give it a go at least, put it out there. You can always keep it in the back pocket that you'll go furnished if it's not working out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

100% unfurnished, things have changed in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Legally do you still have to supply all the standard kitchen appliances if you rent unfurnished?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GingerLily wrote: »
    Legally do you still have to supply all the standard kitchen appliances if you rent unfurnished?

There's a list of what's required. A landlord would be silly to supply anymore than that in the current climate.

GingerLily wrote: »

Yes. You still have to comply with minimum rental standards.
    Ideally this would be revisited to take into account unfurnished units, however, the situation as it stands, is one must comply with the letter of the law regarding minimal standards, as they pertain to kitchen appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'll be providing a full kitchen.

As an aside - anyone know how you clean the yellow from cigarette smoke from doors and skirting boards? I'm hesitant to simply paint over as I want to get the stink out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Zulu wrote: »
    I'll be providing a full kitchen.

As an aside - anyone know how you clean the yellow from cigarette smoke from doors and skirting boards? I'm hesitant to simply paint over as I want to get the stink out. :(

Use a strong solution of vinegar and water and if that doesn't work- bleach and water- and after you've gotten rid of the nicotene off the paintwork- you'll need to dry it properly- and then repaint........

The vinegar works best for trying to get rid of the stench- but no matter what you do, its going to be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I would go with unfurnished. Tenants do respect the new furniture that is put in. As is at the moment there is so much demand there is no need to purchase furniture unless you are in a very low demand area.

+ 1 have experience renting out my place unfurnished and furnished. Place was treated like a home when they furnished it themselves.

You're going to get "experts" with no experience tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I'd go for an unfinished apt/house in a heartbeat over a furnished one. The amount of crap that's in them. Current renting an apt and it's just littered with absolute crap and very cluttered and nowhere to store anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Unfurnished. As a renter it's impossible to get unfurnished properties.

Way more are needed on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Pros:
    no cost replacing furniture, and no damages going forward
    longer term tenants more likely

Cons:
    smaller tenant pool

Am I missing anything obvious? Seems, in the current market, a no brainer, but thats built on the premise that there's a pool of such tenants. Is there such a pool?

You can claim capital allowances from Revenue on the cost of the furniture in the property. The current rate for these allowances is 12.5% of the cost per year, for a maximum of 8 years.

But I'm not sure if you can make a new claim for new furniture if you've already previously claimed for 8 years under old furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The norm in a lot of European countries is to rent unfurnished. With the increase in immigrants coming to work in the IT industry etc you might just get a good one. If a tenant has to furnish they are more likely to stay long term.
    I never had a problem with non Irish tenants unlike some of our own who seem to have no concept of what a lease is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would prefer unfurnished as well, we replaced all of our landlords furniture and it is annoying we won't be able to take any of it with us.

Quick one for you all. Unfurnished means no cutlery also, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quick one for you all. Unfurnished means no cutlery also, right?

Correct. I've always bought/brought my own anyway and left anything previously there in storage until moving out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My current place was rented unfurnished and I was happy enough with that even though it meant having to buy a bed and couch etc.

But from a tenant's perspective, I can see it becoming an issue when I have to move again.. most LL's will probably balk at the idea of having to remove/store whatever stuff they may have in a place leaving me likely in a bind with what to do with my own.

By way of update, letting unfurnished didn't work unfortunately.
    It's impossible to tell accurately, but I need to offer furnishing in order to let it.
    Maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's impossible to tell accurately, but I need to offer furnishing in order to let it.
    Maybe next time.

Thanks for the feedback Zulu good to get actual experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Maybe next time.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. I am surprised though, we let our house unfurnished and has no issues at all. We had huge interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The rental market is slowing down and has been for about 6 months. whta was commonplace a year ago is not happening now.

Advertisement