Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be crazy to pay 1250 for rent in Waterford

Options
  • 18-11-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I a single guy . No dependents. I gross 70k a year . I'm currently only paying 560 for a 1 bedroom apartment. It's a very basic 1 bed but a bit drab . In today's market it would probably fetch 700 a month but I'm here a while and have a food relationship with the landlord. I've been thinking of getting a nicer place for a while now. 1250 seems steep but it's a very nice place and I wouldn't get much for that in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    I a single guy . No dependents. I gross 70k a year . I'm currently only paying 560 for a 1 bedroom apartment. It's a very basic 1 bed but a bit drab . In today's market it would probably fetch 700 a month but I'm here a while and have a food relationship with the landlord. I've been thinking of getting a nicer place for a while now. 1250 seems steep but it's a very nice place and I wouldn't get much for that in Dublin

I t seems to me that you are in a great position to save money by staying where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

For the salary you are on, I wouldn’t be living somewhere that I’d describe as “a bit drab”.
    But to more than double your rent seems a bit much.
    Would you not look at what your current place is not doing for you (location/sq ft / comfort??) and see are there places that do do that? If they run you €1,200+ then fair enough, but I’d imagine there are good middle ground options.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a fair chunk of your net in rent. If the place is looking a bit drab ask the landlord about giving it a spruce up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Would you consider buying an apartment, considering your secure situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The extra €690 a month would pay for a lot of nice home furnishings to brighten the place up. Could you ask the current landlord if you can redecorate? I think it’s madness to pay out almost €700 a month more in rent than you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I a single guy . No dependents. I gross 70k a year . I'm currently only paying 560 for a 1 bedroom apartment. It's a very basic 1 bed but a bit drab
    Do you have a car, and is there parking at your job?

Would your place be considered "central"? I ask, as if you had a car, could you rent something bigger for near the same amount, albeit a bit further away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Would you consider staying where you are and saving for a deposit on your own place. €1250 on month for Waterford seems very expensive to me, although it is a long time since I lived in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, it's a two bed place with at least one en-suite, ground floor, next to a river; I wonder how prone to flooding that is? And if it's icy conditions, I wouldn't want to have to drive up or down that road, tbh; it seems to be the only entrance. It does look nice, but I'd wonder how old the photos are?

=-=

Here's another 2bed, but it doesn't have an ensuite; https://www.daft.ie/21828009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

It says its only available for a year so in a years time you will be back to square one. Seems a bit steep to me given you can rent actual houses for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You're mad, stay put and save for your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You'd be mad. No real difference here. First appt looks grand to me. Spend some money . on nice rugs and curtains and start saving for a deposit to get your own place.

Thanks guys. Im going to stay and do it up. Any idea how much it would cost to paint

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks guys. Im going to stay and do it up. Any idea how much it would cost to paint

Go into Woodies etc and get their own brand.

Usually on deals.

Get few rollers and covers and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Couple of hundred if you do it yourself.

I recently painted the 2nd living room in my house.. nice neutral colour to replace the hideous cream and rose combo, fresh coat of white paint on skirting and door, a fancy bookshelf, a nice rug, big mirror over fireplace and now it's my favourite room in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ask the Landlord first. It shouldn't be an issue with you improving the place but some can be picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

For the rent you're paying, that looks great... Do a bit of decorating yourself, whatever furniture, curtains you put into it you can always take with you when you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is there any reason why you don't appear to want to buy your own place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

An obvious reason is it's not a good investment to buy during a property bubble.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    An obvious reason is it's not a good investment to buy during a property bubble.

A home to live in is not an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

A home to live in is not an investment.

Couldn't agree more. Do people ever learn in this country?

Advertisement