Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Am I the only one confused by all the threads ? Can't see forest for trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

irish1967 wrote: »
    Am I the only one confused by all the threads ? Can't see forest for trees.

I agree. This thread isn't dealing or focusing on anything more specific than the other one that was opened to deal with the wintry potential for today through to Tuesday. It's just seems all over the gaff and it is confusing.

While it does look on the chilly side for much of this coming week I can't see anything of major interest happening that would warrant a second thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

its strange outside, its cold, (3.8c) but doesn't really feel it? Very humid as well, currently 95% here.

When (if) the first flakes fall today the numbers on here are going to explode as usual and confusion will reign (rain).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

irish1967 wrote: »
    When (if) the first flakes fall today the numbers on here are going to explode as usual and confusion will reign (rain).

Lol:D.... This time last year was nuts here... Roll on the first few flakes and let the madness begin:D

• Advertisement

Moderate rain shower here now. Less sleety than last shower. Noticing the M4 and M6 buoys are both showing gusts of 41knts so it's gonna get windier here in the next while. Still doesn't feel like snow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met.ie must of have seen an upgrade. Plenty Snow words thrown about in their forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

People are confused already, is this not next weeks thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    I'd tend disagree there in relation to the end of the week and slightly with regard to snow potential in the next 48hrs. I also think away from immediate west coasts snow is very likely at ground level tomorrow evening in the Northwest and tomorrow night right along the west coast but particularly in the North. I'd expect the snow level to rise pretty quickly on Monday in the first half of the day. But there should be a dusting for many in those areas and any scattered showers that make it through to the East won't have to be heavy to see a dusting in other areas too as temperatures will be below freezing for most.

I assume when you say ground level you mean sea level? Ground level in many areas is 100 m or more, so yes, what you're saying is pretty much in line with what I was saying (we kind-of agree for once!). :D But if you mean sea level then I think maybe just in isolated parts of the north.
    I also disagree with the assertion that there won't be colder weather this week after Tuesday. I already said in the OP a slightly milder period on Wednesday. It should turn colder again after that as high pressure becomes established across the country. Very cold at night and temperatures not rising all that much above freezing by day and very severe frosts. Another possible scenario is a colder Northerly flow prior to the establishment of high pressure as illustrated on the latest UKMO run.

I disagree. I said things won't get any colder than they will today or tomorrow, but it will still be mighty chilly. I do think though that winds will be too strong throughout for the widespread severe frost you're talking about, and as for temperatures struggling above zero - I think the coldest places will still make it to 5 °C, however feeling very cold when windchill is considered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Su Campu wrote: »
    I assume when you say ground level you mean sea level?

It was rather late last night.

I disagree. I said things won't get any colder than they will today or tomorrow, but it will still be mighty chilly. I do think though that winds will be too strong throughout for the widespread severe frost you're talking about, and as for temperatures struggling above zero - I think the coldest places will still make it to 5 °C, however feeling very cold when windchill is considered.

Depends on where you are in a situation where we have high pressure situated over or near the country. The very thing that will allow temperatures to drop is the clear skies and lack of wind. Your argument it won't be as cold depends on the orientation of the high pressure. If it is too far South then you would be right. However more likely it will be centred close to us so dilution of milder air is less likely and if it's positioned even slight to our North or East a continental influence may come into play. Either way it looks like winds will fall light and skies should be clear. That only means one thing this time of year. You could be right but I doubt it and I think we will see severe frost by the end of the week and temperatures will struggle particularly at night.

Good signs on the models this morning for the medium term (beyond 144hrs) for coldies. But that's for another thread. This thread is specifically meant for next week as a whole including the milder period midweek. I suspect it will be snow talked about tonight tomorrow and Tuesday and more cold nights and frost end of the week.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »

Depends on where you are in a situation where we have high pressure situated over or near the country. The very thing that will allow temperatures to drop is the clear skies and lack of wind. Your argument it won't be as cold depends on the orientation of the high pressure. If it is too far South then you would be right. However more likely it will be centred close to us so dilution of milder air is less likely and if it's positioned even slight to our North or East a continental influence may come into play. Either way it looks like winds will fall light and skies should be clear. That only means one thing this time of year. You could be right but I doubt it and I think we will see severe frost by the end of the week and temperatures will struggle particularly at night.

I think the high will stay to our south, with lows passing to our north keeping the tight gradient sustained and hence the winds will remain just too much for widespread frost. It only looks like becoming centred over us on Friday, but by that stage we will be under increased high-level cloudiness.

EDIT: Jean never mentioned the word frost in her Faming Forecast for the week, just saying very cold with wintry showers in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jimlad

High pressure to the south, how long you think it will last? when will the snow hit the south east :confused:.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Jimlad wrote: »
    High pressure to the south, how long you think it will last? when will the snow hit the south east :confused:.. ??

It won't lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DPs are starting to go south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tcostelloe

Is it promised heavy snow in Galway tomorrow or even during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

davidsr20 wrote: »
    It won't lol

ever :confused::)
    t|nt|n wrote: »
    DPs are starting to go south

good or bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

edit:wrong thread

Donegal 1800 1.1c / 0.8 dp. Slowly getting there but I'm a little to coastal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

no chance of a bit of snow to come down to kilkenny is there :o:o:o

no chance of a bit of snow to come down to kilkenny is there :o:o:o

Temp is 2.5 and DP -0.3, so if we had precip there is a chance of wet snow (wouldn't stick) but getting a shower to come this far is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

Temp is 2.5 and DP -0.3, so if we had precip there is a chance of wet snow (wouldn't stick) but getting a shower to come this far is the problem.
    thanks i live up in the hills so wont lose hope yet :rolleyes:

thanks i live up in the hills so wont lose hope yet :rolleyes:

Nearest station to you is North East Kilkenny Weather (I'm guessing you're in the north on the hills?!) run by one of the boards posters here, if you want to check temps and dewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all,

Could someone explain the temp and dew points required for snow and what is dew point exactly. Also for the majority of the east of the country do we really need easterly winds to give significant snow fall. If we get rain from the west 9/10 the rainfall has burnt itself out by the time it gets to the East relative speaking I presume the same for snow or am I incorrect

Cheers
    Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

eddiej wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could someone explain the temp and dew points required for snow and what is dew point exactly. Also for the majority of the east of the country do we really need easterly winds to give significant snow fall. If we get rain from the west 9/10 the rainfall has burnt itself out by the time it gets to the East relative speaking I presume the same for snow or am I incorrect

Cheers
    Eddie
    I was just asking the same question as I was reading the threads. Would really appreciate if someone could let us know. Apologies if it has been answered many times before !!

rainyrun wrote: »
    I was just asking the same question as I was reading the threads. Would really appreciate if someone could let us know. Apologies if it has been answered many times before !!

Dewpoint is the temperature at which condensation will form when the air is cooled. As a general rule, if dewpoints is less than zero then snow is generally common, though it's not that simple.

Have a read of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Can we close this thread as 1) we are now in that week 2) it will turn progressively milder this week and 3) people are posting in one of 2-3 threads on the same topic.

Danke

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

THis please

SnowBeech.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

THis please

Like a piece of frozen broccoli in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

THis please

SnowBeech.jpg

I remember that happening to trees around where I live but to a much lesser extent. I hope I see it again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thanks for reopening the thread.:)

Thursday night, Friday and Saturday potentially the northern half of the country roughly from Wicklow across to Galway are at risk of heavy snow showers and accumulations of snow (and higher parts of the South on Thursday). The showers will be heavier and more frequent the further North you are. The South coast may escape but that is not certain yet. I will post charts later once the 12z runs are finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement